Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:42 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,387,223 times

Advertisements

House lots shrinking to meet demand | StarTribune.com

As a proponent for higher density developments I am all for this trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 11:02 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,102,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
House lots shrinking to meet demand | StarTribune.com

As a proponent for higher density developments I am all for this trend.
Doesn't that reduce the percentage of green space (and increase the percentage of impermeable surface) in a given residential area? You could make that up with park space, of course.

I love my current suburban neighborhood ... our lots are around .3-.5 acres, but almost everyone's back yard is mostly trees, resulting in a lot of greenery surrounding and enveloping the entire subdivision. I would say that roughly half of our "yard" area is actually trees, and in our case even the grassy front yard is mostly shaded.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
Then you end up in stupid looking developments like Cobblestone where you can reach out your kitchen window and shake hands with your neighbor in their kitchen. The idea certainly didn't take off. Not appealing at all.

We used to have a yard full of trees....until the winds blew them down in that storm a couple weeks ago. Small yards don't support enough trees, you lose the shading efficiency too.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:25 AM

987 posts, read 3,821,113 times
I never understood the preoccupation with the lawn. What purpose does perfectly manicured lawn serve?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:26 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
I never understood the preoccupation with the lawn. What purpose does perfectly manicured lawn serve?
It has nothing to do with being "perfectly manicured" and everything to do with having a place for the kids to play, to entertain friends, etc. We also have a dog that enjoys the freedom of our fenced in large yard and the rabbits she can chase. We've had city sized lots before and no thanks.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:29 AM

308 posts, read 897,461 times
Quote:
it is esthetically pleasing to an eye. similar to a clean shirt or cut nails I guess.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:31 AM

687 posts, read 1,257,114 times
Quote:
This doesn't sound like a serious question, but in case it is...

If you get rid of "perfectly manicured" and just think about a lawn:

1) A place for kids, pets, and adults to play.
2) A place to grow food (fruit trees, vegetable gardens, berry bushes).
3) Water runoff/absorption.
4) Habitat/food for animals.
5) Space for privacy.
6) A source of slow-paced outdoor activity. I do think a lot of people enjoy lawn work (maybe just a small amount of lawn work). Maybe this is more about a sense of satisfaction of a job well done, or at least done.

I think the main appeal of perfectly manicured lawns is that they look nice. They also can feel nice to walk on barefoot. I do think a lot of people treat a well-manicured lawn as a hobby as well.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 AM

356 posts, read 606,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Then you end up in stupid looking developments like Cobblestone where you can reach out your kitchen window and shake hands with your neighbor in their kitchen. The idea certainly didn't take off. Not appealing at all.

We used to have a yard full of trees....until the winds blew them down in that storm a couple weeks ago. Small yards don't support enough trees, you lose the shading efficiency too.
Cobblestone is a perfect example of developments ramming houses in compared to Rosemount across the street with larger lots and more mature landscaping.

There sure were lots of homes hit in our area. We were lucky. No loss of trees, but our sprinkler system got zapped and we had to buy a new control panel.

I would take a large property with trees and grass to something like Cobblestone anyday. The prices in there were way out of our range when we were looking, now many are under water b/c their values have gone down so much.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:23 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,752,998 times
These "small" lots are still pretty big -- the article points out that most of these new lots are still 60-65 feet wide.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:30 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,426,554 times
I didn't read the whole article but the size of the house on the lot is an important factor, too. I imagine a "small" lot in Woodbury would look a whole lot (pun sort of intended) bigger with a St. Louis Park-sized house on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul