Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 03:53 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times

Advertisements

If you look up the weather data for MN, it's pretty consistant across the board for average humidity for each month-between 55-65% on average, with December having the highest monthly average for humidity during the daytime hours of 71%. January is second at 68%.

It feels worse in July and August because the average temperature is higher and dewpoint, humidity and temperature are all related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 11:44 AM

117 posts, read 377,661 times
I believe the OP is asking about humidity in the sense of dew point. High dew points with high temps make it feel sticky and tropical which is the Florida like feeling she is likely referring to. I moved here from Colorado which is quite dry with low dew points. In the Summer I frequently remember having highs above 90 (but they felt good) and nighttime lows in the upper 50's and 60's. Compared to that, yes Minnesota can feel "humid" at times in the summer although from my experiences here it seems that these periods of high temps/high dew points (above the 60 degree dp range) seem to last at most a few days at a time before having some relief from drier northern air. Compared to Georgia (where I have been a few Summers) I would say Minnesota's relative humidity is much more tolerable and doesn't stay sticky.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:22 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times
Having lived in FL for several years, I can assure you that Florida-like humidity happens here in the TC maybe 6 or 8 days in an average year. Yes, the average summer day here is more humid than in the West, but Mpls is the least humid city in the Midwest. We run our AC very infrequently in the summer.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,196,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Having lived in FL for several years, I can assure you that Florida-like humidity happens here in the TC maybe 6 or 8 days in an average year. Yes, the average summer day here is more humid than in the West, but Mpls is the least humid city in the Midwest. We run our AC very infrequently in the summer.
I'm not sure it's the least humid in the Midwest....I think you could say it has the fewest # of days with dew points under 55-60 for large cities in the Midwest, but dewpoints can and do seem to get higher in the Twin Cities than many Midwestern metros, incl. Milwaukee, Cleveland, Detroit and possibly Omaha and KC (KC might be worse....it's close to the borderline between humid and dry regions). Every year I check the dewpoint maps on weather.com in the summer and the areas of darker green almost always consistently swell well up North through the Plains into Canada but don't do the same East of Chicago. Again, since we're further North I think the number of "humid" (dp's over 55-60) days here may be indeed fewer, but the number of "extremely humid (dp's over 70) days MAY be as high or higher here than much of the Midwest (I assume STL, Cincy, Indy and maybe C-bus might be more severe -- I've lived in STL and C-bus, and they are definitely sticky a lot of the year!).

Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,479,664 times
Dewpoint over 60 in MN is uncomfortable. 60 and below are tolerable. Personally I like low dewpoints. The body cooling system works well in that scenario. Skin doesn't like it much, I admit. But there are countermeasures for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul