Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:36 AM

988 posts, read 1,829,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Finding parking at Rosedale, especially on weekends before Christmas, can be a nightmare. They simply don't have enough parking.

That sort of implies that thugs aren't Rosedale's biggest issue.
Agreed, both on the fact parking can be a nightmare at Rosedale and the implication of that fact.

Thugs are an issue to be dealt with at all the malls, by their very nature of being open to the public and not costing money for admission. However, the reality is this: for all the malls including poor-ol' Southdale, they seem to find the money to operate the malls. They keep the lights on, pay people to clean and maintain the mall, etc. That money doesn't come from nowhere - it comes from mall tenants through rent and/or Common Area Maintenance fees. It seems unlikely that a majority of tenants stay long-term paying these monies in a mall they aren't selling their merchandise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 PM

37 posts, read 131,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
When you have one of the most popular tourist attractions in the country 5 miles down the road that is also a shopping mall, fancy tile isn't going to help you. I used to shop at Southdale way back when I was in high school but even back then the mall was lacking, especially for eating options. At that time they had one place to eat, that courtyard "restaurant" that was mostly a salad bar. We went there a couple years ago and couldn't find anything we were looking for.
A lot of locals I know haven't been to the MOA in years because it's a giant tourist attraction, and a major pain the ass to get into and out of. If Southdale didn't exist, they would find another shopping option rather than going to MOA.

There are solid dining options in and around Southdale now, and the new food court they are in the process of building will only make this better. It's not like the mall is dead now either, they seem to have a good range of stores and it seems busy enough the few times a year I make it there.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:47 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,918,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Energy View Post
A lot of locals I know haven't been to the MOA in years because it's a giant tourist attraction, and a major pain the ass to get into and out of. If Southdale didn't exist, they would find another shopping option rather than going to MOA.

There are solid dining options in and around Southdale now, and the new food court they are in the process of building will only make this better. It's not like the mall is dead now either, they seem to have a good range of stores and it seems busy enough the few times a year I make it there.
do you really believe that? their food court sucks. if it wasn't for cheesecake factory and ruby tuesday. the food would be horrible. not a fan of cpk sorry

Old 04-23-2012, 11:26 PM

988 posts, read 1,829,211 times
One problem with CPK is it's no longer oh-so-unique and trendy to have weird toppings on a pizza, and pay a premium for it. Then again, I am by far more "blue-collar" in my pizza preferences so maybe it's just me. Give me the local joint that trends a bit more grease.

Is PF Chang's still at Southdale? Could have been gone for a long time far as I know. That shows you how long it's been for me there.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:56 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
PBS producers working on an upcoming documentary have named Southdale as one of the "10 Buildings That Changed America" because "it changed the way America shopped". Old enough to remember when it was considered fresh and an event to go there. Glad to see it getting an overdue facelift even though it's likely I may never return to see it again.

Southdale is an icon | StarTribune.com

the 10 buildings named and to be featured (listed by year built);

Virginia State Capitol, Richmond, VA
Trinity Church, Boston, MA
Wainwright Building, St. Louis, MO
Robie House, Chicago, IL
Highland Park Ford Plant, Highland Park, MI
Southdale Center Mall, Edina, MN
Seagram Building, New York, NY
Dulles International Airport, Chantilly, VA
Vanna Venturi House, Chestnut Hill, PA
Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles, CA

PBS lists Top Ten Buildings that Changed America | ArchDaily

Old 06-26-2012, 01:36 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
And ironically malls and department stores are slowly going out of fashion again. Maybe MN will house this century's NEXT iconic retail building that changed America (I'm looking at you, Best Buy!)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul