Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:23 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,414 times

Advertisements

Having not needed to do this before, what do any of you pay for baby-sitters around the twin cities. Particularly a high-schooler taking care of an infant. Is somewhere around $25 for an evening (~4 hours) reasonable?

I've asked a few friends and gotten answers anywhere from $2 per hour per child up to someone who gives their nanny an extra $50 to hang out for an extra evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
You will get prices all over the place but you have to keep in mind that $25/for an evening of babysitting for a kid is good pay to them. My kids would be thrilled with that. They rarely babysit any longer, just too busy, but when they do they get about $5/hour for 2 kids give or take. They usually drive over to the home where they babysit because they can. Before that they got picked up by the family they were babysitting for. Most kids I know care more that the kids aren't brats then exactly how much they get paid.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You will get prices all over the place but you have to keep in mind that $25/for an evening of babysitting for a kid is good pay to them. My kids would be thrilled with that. They rarely babysit any longer, just too busy, but when they do they get about $5/hour for 2 kids give or take. They usually drive over to the home where they babysit because they can. Before that they got picked up by the family they were babysitting for. Most kids I know care more that the kids aren't brats then exactly how much they get paid.
Thanks GG. It seems like pretty reasonable pay to me, and I don't mind paying a little on the high side to someone we like, in order to make sure they want to come sit for us again, when needed. On the other hand...you don't want to pay so much that the idea of going out for a movie becomes cost-prohibitive.

A friend told about a (HS) girl in her neighborhood handing out flyers advertising baby-sitting for $8 per hour per child. Not sure she was going to get any takers for that.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:45 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
We have two babysitters that we use. One is a HS freshman. We pay her $5 an hour, and round the time up to add another hour. This is for one child. We also have an adult that we use more often. We pay her $12 an hour and round up to the next $10 mark.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Thanks GG. It seems like pretty reasonable pay to me, and I don't mind paying a little on the high side to someone we like, in order to make sure they want to come sit for us again, when needed. On the other hand...you don't want to pay so much that the idea of going out for a movie becomes cost-prohibitive.

A friend told about a (HS) girl in her neighborhood handing out flyers advertising baby-sitting for $8 per hour per child. Not sure she was going to get any takers for that.
No, I don't think she will get any takers at $8/hour/child. Heck, most second incomes don't pay $16/hour (after taxes) and a lot of first incomes for that matter.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:21 PM

538 posts, read 1,521,784 times
Wow, y'all pay LOW. My sister used to get $2/per hour/per child back in 1989. We pay our high schooler babysitter $10/hr for two kids, PLUS I bring her home at midnight, 27 miles away (she gets a ride there). But, she is also a relative.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I think $8 is reasonable. In fact, I thought the going rate was around $10! If a younger high school student, $8 is probably doable. In any case, $10 is certainly not out of line, especially if you're asking for a weekend night -- in fact, it's probably pretty typical around here. You can probably find a high school sitter for $8/hr, though.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think $8 is reasonable. In fact, I thought the going rate was around $10! If a younger high school student, $8 is probably doable. In any case, $10 is certainly not out of line, especially if you're asking for a weekend night -- in fact, it's probably pretty typical around here. You can probably find a high school sitter for $8/hr, though.
She is saying $8/hour per child. With two kids that is $16/hour. No, I don't think that is reasonable and our kids would be embarrassed to be paid that much to babysit. I can see $8/hour if you have 3 or 4 kids though but for 1 or 2 kids, everyone around here pretty much gets paid $5/hour.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:46 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Oops, missed that. I think $16/2 kids is way too much. $8 for one or two is entirely reasonable. I'd say $8 is about the base price in Minneapolis, though, even if only one kid -- I don't think the high school kids around here will work for $5/hr. Maybe the "mother's helpers" go lower, but not full-fledged high school babysitters. To 1st Pontiac: have you asked around? Most kids who regularly babysit have established rates, so just see what they say. If you're lucky you'll find someone willing to do the night for your $25, especially if you have a young baby who will be in bed most of that time. It's tough, though, because you're competing against all the other parents who are willing to pay, and these days kids have so many other activities going on (and hold other jobs, etc.). Your best bet for cost is probably going to be a younger high school student who lives in the neighborhood.

Another option to have on-hand just in case -- ClubKid is located right by Southdale (I believe there are other metro locations, too) and is a drop-in place. They don't take young babies, but it's handy for toddlers and older. I have no personal experience with it, but remember going to similar places when I was a kid. Clubkid, Minnesota - Home Page

Old 01-10-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Oops, missed that. I think $16/2 kids is way too much. $8 for one or two is entirely reasonable. I'd say $8 is about the base price in Minneapolis, though, even if only one kid -- I don't think the high school kids around here will work for $5/hr. Maybe the "mother's helpers" go lower, but not full-fledged high school babysitters. To 1st Pontiac: have you asked around? Most kids who regularly babysit have established rates, so just see what they say. If you're lucky you'll find someone willing to do the night for your $25, especially if you have a young baby who will be in bed most of that time. It's tough, though, because you're competing against all the other parents who are willing to pay, and these days kids have so many other activities going on (and hold other jobs, etc.). Your best bet for cost is probably going to be a younger high school student who lives in the neighborhood.

Another option to have on-hand just in case -- ClubKid is located right by Southdale (I believe there are other metro locations, too) and is a drop-in place. They don't take young babies, but it's handy for toddlers and older. I have no personal experience with it, but remember going to similar places when I was a kid. Clubkid, Minnesota - Home Page
Good luck getting a high school student to babysit though. Most are just too busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul