Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,134 times

Advertisements

I don't think I've seen this specific variant of a "what should I go do" thread pop up yet.

I'm looking for ideas for something for my wife and 8 month old daughter and I to get out and do on Saturday (after Thanksgiving). I have to admit I'm at a bit of a loss coming up with what you do with a baby in the winter. I've thought of museums (Science or Children's) and not much else.

Looking for about an afternoon's worth of stuff. Maybe go have lunch somewhere, go explore something new, then head back home in time for supper and putting the kiddo down. I'm not opposed to driving somewhere either. We could get to Stillwater about as fast as anywhere central to MSP, but I'm not sure if how much of the charm of Stillwater is lost on these grey, soggy days.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Doesn't have to be just for Saturday, either, there is plenty of winter ahead to stay entertained in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,599,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
I don't think I've seen this specific variant of a "what should I go do" thread pop up yet.

I'm looking for ideas for something for my wife and 8 month old daughter and I to get out and do on Saturday (after Thanksgiving). I have to admit I'm at a bit of a loss coming up with what you do with a baby in the winter. I've thought of museums (Science or Children's) and not much else.

Looking for about an afternoon's worth of stuff. Maybe go have lunch somewhere, go explore something new, then head back home in time for supper and putting the kiddo down. I'm not opposed to driving somewhere either. We could get to Stillwater about as fast as anywhere central to MSP, but I'm not sure if how much of the charm of Stillwater is lost on these grey, soggy days.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Doesn't have to be just for Saturday, either, there is plenty of winter ahead to stay entertained in.

Are you seeking outdoor activity or indoors mostly? When outside you could go geocaching thats a good way to explore new areas that are intresting, and you could carry your young one with

Old 11-22-2011, 11:16 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Are you looking at something to to do entertain the baby or just something you can do with the baby in tow? How about the Minnesota Zoo? If the weather is nice like it is supposed to be you could do the whole zoo, otherwise just do all of the indoor stuff.

I would suggest going out to Stillwater some evening for dinner and walk around then. When the Christmas lights go up, etc. it's worth the trip. Drive around town to look at the houses too. I don't know that I would want to be in Downtown Stillwater this weekend. There is a production of the Nutcracker at Stillwater High School this weekend (and I happen to know the lead in the production ) if that works. Not sure if your 8 month old would sit through that or maybe take a nap during the production. I know when my oldest was that age he would have been memorized buy the show and then would have fallen asleep half way through.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking mainly for something we can do with the baby in tow. I guess the weather is supposed to be pretty nice, so that helps...just don't want to plan to spend a few hours outside if its going to be 15 degrees, but it doesn't look like that is a concern.

The Zoo is a great suggestion and will probably be what we do this weekend. I haven't been there yet, so I didn't think of it that there would be indoor stuff to do too, and even if its cold, outdoor stuff is fine when there is a good place to warm up nearby.

Our little one is quite a wiggler, who has never fallen asleep around a crowd, so I think the Nutcracker will have to wait, but we'll definitely go check out the Stillwater Christmas lights some evening. Maybe even get a sitter for that night.

Thanks!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:48 PM

70 posts, read 120,238 times
You could always go to downtown Mpls. and see the Macy's holiday display in th e8th floor auditorium and go watch the Hoilladazzle Parade.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:53 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,173 times
We were pretty low key that first winter although mine was born in the fall so he was younger. He was happy getting pulled around on a sled. Once he could crawl/walk we'd go to a soft play area in the mall although that was probably his second winter. Children's Museum does have a toddler area as well. The library has baby story time and baby play time. We also did swimming lessons.

If you want to be out and about get a backpack for the baby. You can go Geocaching or wander around most places easily enough. Strollers are great for malls at Christmas because you can put your coats and purchases in them but a royal pain outside.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:39 PM

Yeah, we've got one of those baby carriers that you wear like a harness and it got heavy use this summer. I'm not sure if the one we have will fit her with a warm coat on...might have to look into something a bit bigger.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 11-22-2011, 06:30 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
I haven't yet been this year, but usually the Minneapolis Institute of Arts decorates its historic period rooms for the holidays. When my son was still pretty young he still got something out of art museums (although mostly was just happy going wherever we went), especially modern art with its big splashy colors. Give it a year or so and they'll really love all the animals found in so much artwork. (lots of lamb imagery in the religious paintings, as well as mothers and babies, which my toddler loved to point out!) In any case, at this age you're lucky that you can go to pretty much any museum and have fun, so no need to (yet) stick to the more traditionally child-friendly ones. We're thinking of heading there this weekend, as I don't know if I want to brave any shopping areas. The Macy's show downtown, as suggested earlier, is also great -- just went there this afternoon. FWIW, it's the same one every year now, but I did notice that they had completely switched out some scenes. In addition to MN Zoo, Como Zoo is fun in the winter, and the conservatory is especially nice on cold days!

I'm also a big fan of Woodlake Nature Center in Richfield (know I plug it a lot on here); you could do a short loop around the lake and over the boardwalk, then head into the nature center. They have a room dedicated to kids, including lots of toys, books, and things kids (even babies) can touch (pieces of fur, antlers, that sort of thing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul