Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:50 PM

18 posts, read 169,562 times

Advertisements

I've got just over a month left before I move away from MN. I'm trying to think of stuff I wanted to do while I was living here and of course my mind is blanking. Suggestions of things one should do in the twin cities or great places to eat that I can't experience once I leave?

Here are a few I could think of...
Hell's Kitchen
Chanhassen Dinner Theater
Stella's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 06:58 PM

987 posts, read 3,821,113 times
Nalapak for Indian vegetarian on Central Avenue. Popovers for free (with meal) at Macy's restaurants. Order soup and just keep asking for popovers LOL! Don't go to the Macy's restaurant in Ridgedale, they make mini ones there. You want the big huge ones at Southdale or at the Oak Grill downtown Macy's. Momo's and breads from Everest on Grand. The rest of the food isn't thrilling but the breads (naan, tandoori roti, etc) are about the best I've ever eaten. Go eat the huaraches or tlacayos at one of the Mexican restaurants on Lake Street. I recommend Los Ocampos. There's one in each twin city.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:08 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,137,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBlue View Post
I've got just over a month left before I move away from MN. I'm trying to think of stuff I wanted to do while I was living here and of course my mind is blanking. Suggestions of things one should do in the twin cities or great places to eat that I can't experience once I leave?

Hell's Kitchen
Stella's
Somali restaurants (broken link)! You won't find these in many other places. Many are apparently a true cultural experience to simply visit. The one I went to, Safari Restaurant at 1424 Nicollet Ave, is more of a "normal" American type place.

Also try Hmong food at the International Market on the corner of Como and Marion in St. Paul.

Also visit the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. It's really nice with tons of interesting stuff in it.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,479,048 times
Quote:

Hell's Kitchen
Stella's
  1. Highland Grill on Cleveland Avenue - especially for breakfast. And their falafel is wonderful!
  2. Downtowner Cafe on W 7th Street in St Paul - try their game hen, it's amazing
  3. Ride the light-rail (something I failed to do before leaving )
  4. Visit the MIA
  5. See a play at the new Guthrie
  6. Go the Renaissance Festival and get your palm read

Old 07-31-2007, 09:45 AM

Thanks guys! Those are some good tips thus far.

I have had the popovers at Macy's. Yum. If you like those, you'd also like the ones at Hazellewood Grill (Minnetonka). Combined with their cinnamon butter its heavenly. And the food there in general is great.

I've done Light rail and RenFest. Somali food I would like to try. I've been to the Blue Nile, so I don't know how similar that it. But that place was good. MIA I would like to hit up. Highland Grill would be good.

Also just thought of that old school diner in St.Paul...the rail car thing...Mickey's Diner?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:11 AM

592 posts, read 2,811,132 times
Micky's is on w. 7th just east of the airport, I'm not sure but I think the original one is still in downtown St. Paul.. I've always been a huge fan of the Buca in St. Paul.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:07 PM

638 posts, read 3,125,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
Micky's is on w. 7th just east of the airport, I'm not sure but I think the original one is still in downtown St. Paul.. I've always been a huge fan of the Buca in St. Paul.
The original is in downtown St. Paul; it's better than the West 7th St. one.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:56 AM

Hit up Micky's last night. Went with the classic: cheeseburger, mulligan stew and hashbrowns. Good greasy diner food!

Co-worker suggested I add punch pizza to my list. The one on Cleveland in St.Paul.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:12 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,479,048 times
Quote:
Hit up Micky's last night. Went with the classic: cheeseburger, mulligan stew and hashbrowns. Good greasy diner food!

Co-worker suggested I add punch pizza to my list. The one on Cleveland in St.Paul.
DEFINITELY go to Punch. I used to live in Highland and ate there all the time. They have great pizza, garlic bread, salads and wine. Oh and good tiramisu. It's noisy, crowded and a lot of fun. If it's not too hot try to get a table outside on the miniscule patio. They also do takeout if you can't get a table.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:13 PM

4 posts, read 46,502 times
check out downtown stillwater. there are a lot of good restaurants and if you have never seen the city, you probably should before you leave

best 3 restaurants:
Marx
Stones
Dock Cafe (great view)

Some other fun ones are The Crab Shack, The Freight House, and Nacho Mamas (good margs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul