Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:40 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times

Advertisements

The "new urbanism" outdoor shopping center in St. Anthony (yes, the suburb )happens to be at the site of Apache Plaza, the metro area's second indoor shopping mall, which opened in 1961.

It went from farmland, to indoor shopping center, to outdoor shopping center, in less than half a century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 03:12 PM

442 posts, read 539,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
The "new urbanism" outdoor shopping center in St. Anthony (yes, the suburb )happens to be at the site of Apache Plaza, the metro area's second indoor shopping mall, which opened in 1961.

It went from farmland, to indoor shopping center, to outdoor shopping center, in less than half a century.
Fun fact! Is it busy? Does it have a good vibe? A lot of new urbanist developments still end up being car dependent by choice of residents, sadly.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Growing up near St.Anthony - but a Minneapolis Nordeaster - the village of St. Anthony is a great place. I have some doubts that it is a place where you can get by without a car, but for those of us who believe in a greener future St. Anthony is a terrific, mid-metro choice for residency. It's roughly equidistant between the two downtowns and with the increasing network of bike trails spreading throughout the MSP Metro it is a city where it is relatively easy to get to either central city.

For more Minneapolis biking info, go here.

For more St. Paul biking info, go here. (http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=460 - broken link)
The place I'm looking at is literally right across the street from the Minneapolis Diagonal Trail which takes one directly into Minneapolis. It's about 3 city blocks from the city limits, according to Street View (though Google tends to blend city limits awkwardly)

Old 01-01-2012, 07:26 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
The place I'm looking at is literally right across the street from the Minneapolis Diagonal Trail which takes one directly into Minneapolis. It's about 3 city blocks from the city limits, according to Street View (though Google tends to blend city limits awkwardly)
The city limits are awkward in that part of town, but it is not too far from downtown I don't think biking would be any more difficult than from anywhere else in the city. I assume the trail would connect up with the stone arch bridge trail and take you right into Downtown. (the stone arch trail is quite busy with bike commuters during rush hour

Another good "urban suburb" you might want to check out is St. Louis Park. They have the LRT trail extension that goes right into Uptown and a trail that goes downtown. St. Louis Park has a few good multi-use developments. Even though its an older inner-ring suburb, the population has been increasing the past few decades. I think the SW light rail line is supposed to go through there someday also.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
I'm a big fan of St Anthony Village. Close to Roseville (i.e. Rosedale), Como Park, NE Mpls, Downtown Mpls, good schools (St Anthony Elem & then onto Mounds View I believe?), safe, affordable, centric, highly underrated imo.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:39 PM

687 posts, read 1,255,439 times
Having taking it a few dozen times, I don't find the Diagonal Trail portion you'd be taking very enjoyable. Get ready to wait at stoplights.

The residents along the Minneapolis/St. Anthony border also openly resisted adding a bike path down Stinson parkway (which would have connected up the Grand Rounds a bit more). That's also the only stretch I've ever had someone yell at me for biking on the road (I guess I was supposed to head east on the "new bike path"/Diagonal Trail, when I was trying to go north).

You'd probably be able to get by in St. Anthony without a car, but I wouldn't be surprised if you find it a bit frustrating.

The "new urbanism" part of St. Anthony isn't probably something you'd run into much. I'd guess you'd be more looking at the Quarry shopping center.

I have heard from many that Barley John's makes the best beer in the metro though.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
Having taking it a few dozen times, I don't find the Diagonal Trail portion you'd be taking very enjoyable. Get ready to wait at stoplights.

The residents along the Minneapolis/St. Anthony border also openly resisted adding a bike path down Stinson parkway (which would have connected up the Grand Rounds a bit more). That's also the only stretch I've ever had someone yell at me for biking on the road (I guess I was supposed to head east on the "new bike path"/Diagonal Trail, when I was trying to go north).

You'd probably be able to get by in St. Anthony without a car, but I wouldn't be surprised if you find it a bit frustrating.

The "new urbanism" part of St. Anthony isn't probably something you'd run into much. I'd guess you'd be more looking at the Quarry shopping center.

I have heard from many that Barley John's makes the best beer in the metro though.
I'm also planning on getting a ToGo pass for rainy days, winter use, etc. so I won't be entirely bike dependent either. Is there a sidewalk in that area that isn't heavily traveled? Would you recommend taking the residential streets over the Diagonal Trail? Over Stinson?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:57 AM

687 posts, read 1,255,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
I'm also planning on getting a ToGo pass for rainy days, winter use, etc. so I won't be entirely bike dependent either. Is there a sidewalk in that area that isn't heavily traveled? Would you recommend taking the residential streets over the Diagonal Trail? Over Stinson?
I think the Diagonal Trail is probably the best option (there really aren't many other options). To get from New Brighton Blvd to Hennepin along Stinson (which is 1 mile) you'll run into 6 stoplights and many other driveways (some with stop signs). If you take the stretch along New Brighton Blvd you'll run into 4 stoplights in half a mile (and end up with no where to go once you get to Broadway). There also will be a bunch of traffic.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 AM

126 posts, read 244,738 times
Before I switched jobs last year, I used to ride down McKinley (1 block over from Stinson), down to 18th, west to Filmore, south to Spring St, and then either to Central Ave, or down another side street to Hennepin.

Here is a link to the City of Minneapolis bike maps page, also has a link to the Hennepin county one.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/bicy..._where-to-ride

Old 01-03-2012, 09:15 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
I'm residing in St. Anthony in MPLS NE side atm, and I LOVE IT. It's 15 minutes (walking) from my place to Hennepin and Central, 20 to Stone Arch, and 30 to downtown. I usually take BUS 10 to go downtown. GREAT place. A lot of young people, some families, and older people. Bars are close (if you like them). Great diversity. A lot of good place to eat. U of M is 10 minutes. Highway 35 is 5 minutes. The neighborhood is good. Not so much crime (or whatnot) but the firetruck comes more than a police car. o_O

I'm just not sure about the biking trail. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul