Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 10:03 AM

52 posts, read 136,620 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are a family with 2 very small kids (1.5 and 3 years old) moving from ATL to Minneapolis.

We need some suggestions from you about which area we need to concentrate looking for an apartment/house to rent

1. We love being in the centre of everything, however away from drug dealers and similar
2. Safety
3. Good daycares
4. If possible, use public transport as much as possible

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 10:20 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
What's your budget? Will you be commuting to work, and if so, where? Those two considerations will make a difference.

Based on the limited information you give so far, my personal favorite option would be the Uptown area; it's a nice place for families, has some of the best public transportation options in the metro area, and you can walk to almost anything you need. The majority of my personal living experience has been in the CARAG neighborhood in Uptown (Uptown is the umbrella term for the broader Uptown area), which would definitely meet the items on your list. Parking is also easier there, if you will still have a car but just prefer not to use much.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:41 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,883,459 times
I prefer parts of Kenny or Armitage with smaller bungalows and plenty of rentals. I grew up there and the neighborhood was just amazing, and close to mostly everything! (safe and drug-free, too). This is where many young families live in Minneapolis, and where I'd like to relocate to (from Cleveland) someday.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:18 PM

The problem with Kenny and Armatage is that they're not very convenient for public transportation, and there's not that much within walking distance (some things, like a very nice public library, and lots of parks). I agree that it's great for families, though, and VERY safe. If they look into those neighborhoods, I'd probably try to stick either a bit closer to Lyndale (for Kenny) or nearer to Penn (for Armatage) as you'll have far more convenient bus options. FYI, the main buses serving those neighborhoods (other than express buses to downtown that operate during commuting hours) are various 4 routes. The 4F runs up Lyndale, the 4K runs up Penn, and another 4 (4D?) cuts through the neighborhood from Lyndale to Penn along 56th Street. That one doesn't run very often, though. It's not a good area for public transportation, although if you pay attention the schedules it's certainly doable. (and it's VERY doable for those mostly taking the bus to/from downtown) It's mostly houses, not apartments, but the rent for a house there is going to be cheaper than what you'd pay for a house in Uptown. In Uptown you'll have a broader range of rentals for apartments or duplexes. Kenny and Armatage are both far quieter and are safer than Uptown (although most of Uptown is still plenty safe, and you don't need to worry about drug dealers, etc.), but that peace and quiet comes at a price. I find Armatage to be very pleasant, but it's also incredibly painfully boring. If you like a neighborhood with street life, this isn't it. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I was either a hardcore biker (it's an easy and very pleasant ride from more exciting areas) or if I drove, as it is convenient, safe, and there are certainly many other families with young kids.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
The problem with Kenny and Armatage is that they're not very convenient for public transportation, and there's not that much within walking distance (some things, like a very nice public library, and lots of parks). I agree that it's great for families, though, and VERY safe. If they look into those neighborhoods, I'd probably try to stick either a bit closer to Lyndale (for Kenny) or nearer to Penn (for Armatage) as you'll have far more convenient bus options. FYI, the main buses serving those neighborhoods (other than express buses to downtown that operate during commuting hours) are various 4 routes. The 4F runs up Lyndale, the 4K runs up Penn, and another 4 (4D?) cuts through the neighborhood from Lyndale to Penn along 56th Street. That one doesn't run very often, though. It's not a good area for public transportation, although if you pay attention the schedules it's certainly doable. (and it's VERY doable for those mostly taking the bus to/from downtown) It's mostly houses, not apartments, but the rent for a house there is going to be cheaper than what you'd pay for a house in Uptown. In Uptown you'll have a broader range of rentals for apartments or duplexes. Kenny and Armatage are both far quieter and are safer than Uptown (although most of Uptown is still plenty safe, and you don't need to worry about drug dealers, etc.), but that peace and quiet comes at a price. I find Armatage to be very pleasant, but it's also incredibly painfully boring. If you like a neighborhood with street life, this isn't it. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I was either a hardcore biker (it's an easy and very pleasant ride from more exciting areas) or if I drove, as it is convenient, safe, and there are certainly many other families with young kids.
I only mentioned those two because I have personal experience with them and can vouch for both of them. I think areas closer to Uptown (and incl. Uptown) can work as well, but I've never had family in those areas.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:12 AM

345 posts, read 833,768 times
Yep, I agree with Uptown. But Macalester Groveland or Highland in St. Paul have decent transportation to both Minneapolis and St. Paul. They are both safe and each have lots of other families. Although, I don't know your price range.

You might want to even try an inner ring suburb like St. Louis Park or Hopkins.

By 2014, there will be a light rail along University Avenue connecting the two cities, I would also check out the areas around there. You will find apartments and even reasonably priced houses. By 2014 when the rail line is finished, prices will skyrocket and University Ave will be the place to hang out or "be seen"

Old 12-29-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
Yep, I agree with Uptown. But Macalester Groveland or Highland in St. Paul have decent transportation to both Minneapolis and St. Paul. They are both safe and each have lots of other families. Although, I don't know your price range.

You might want to even try an inner ring suburb like St. Louis Park or Hopkins.

By 2014, there will be a light rail along University Avenue connecting the two cities, I would also check out the areas around there. You will find apartments and even reasonably priced houses. By 2014 when the rail line is finished, prices will skyrocket and University Ave will be the place to hang out or "be seen"
Light rail will also go through St. Louis Park and Hopkins on the SW alignment by 2017 or so, so don't discount those suburbs if you don't think they will (eventually) have mass transit.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:53 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
I'm biased, but I live in Kingfield and I think you'll find it's close to downtown (4 miles), has more kids than Uptown, more buses than Kenny or Armatage, plenty of shops and things within walking distance, and some very nice parks including the tennis center at MLK park, plus Lake Harriet is within walking distance! I think you'll also find that the homes are pretty affordable compared to Uptown area or Tangletown. It's safe and there are a few daycare places in the neighborhood. Yes, I think Kingfield would meet all your requirements.http://kingfield.org/local-history/

Old 12-29-2011, 04:28 PM

I agree that Kingfield would be a pretty good compromise location. It has less going on than Uptown, but is still fairly close to all the action. VERY active community/neighborhood with a lot of other people with young kids and who are also looking for the same sorts of things the OP wants. I know a number of people who have either moved there or who have looked there because they wanted to buy but were priced out of Uptown. Good daycares and nursery schools in the immediate area, too. Farther from the stuff on Nicollet but also fairly convenient (and close to the lake) would be East Harriet (the neighborhood adjacent to Kingfield); the 4 bus runs along Bryant there, and there are a bunch of nice rentals in the area, including lots of very family-friendly duplexes.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:30 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I agree that Kingfield would be a pretty good compromise location. It has less going on than Uptown, but is still fairly close to all the action. VERY active community/neighborhood with a lot of other people with young kids and who are also looking for the same sorts of things the OP wants. I know a number of people who have either moved there or who have looked there because they wanted to buy but were priced out of Uptown. Good daycares and nursery schools in the immediate area, too. Farther from the stuff on Nicollet but also fairly convenient (and close to the lake) would be East Harriet (the neighborhood adjacent to Kingfield); the 4 bus runs along Bryant there, and there are a bunch of nice rentals in the area, including lots of very family-friendly duplexes.
I think you're spot on and thanks, but would offer just a couple of minor corrections. Kingfield includes Nicollet, so the #18 bus and all the stores and things on Nicollet, including the Kingfield Farmers' market, are in Kingfield. KF doesn't have as many bars as Uptown, but has plenty of restaurants, such as King's, Cafe Ena, Patessiere 46, Blackbird, Grand Cafe,Victor's, and others. That would be the type of thing that we would be more interested in vs. a bar, but not sure about the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul