Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 03:40 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,768,872 times

Advertisements

Yes, I meant the East Harriet option that I threw out there (which would be closer to the 4 bus route than the 18) would be less convenient for the bus/stores on Nicollet (which is indeed in the Kingfield neighborhood). And I think we agree, but by less going on I wasn't thinking about bars, but rather things like grocery stores and pharmacies. Kingfield is certainly excellent for restaurants. Whether or not the grocery access will be an issue depends on what the OP is envisioning. I wouldn't want to live in Kingfield (or East Harriet) without a car due to the grocery issue, but they don't say that they plan on doing everything via foot or bus. And Kingfield also has at least one HOURCAR location (38th and Nicollet?) if they do plan on going car-free. I think it's a great neighborhood for doing many things on foot, bike, or by bus, but it would still be helpful to have a car if living there (which is probably just fine with the OP, but there are more convenient neighborhoods if they are deciding to totally forego the car.).

Also to throw into the mix, parts of Lyndale neighborhood could also work. Some portions of the neighborhood do have a greater crime problems (along Nicollet and right off Lake, mostly), but other parts are pretty nice, affordable (don't know OP's budget) and family-friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 06:25 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,731,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Yes, I meant the East Harriet option that I threw out there (which would be closer to the 4 bus route than the 18) would be less convenient for the bus/stores on Nicollet (which is indeed in the Kingfield neighborhood). And I think we agree, but by less going on I wasn't thinking about bars, but rather things like grocery stores and pharmacies. Kingfield is certainly excellent for restaurants. Whether or not the grocery access will be an issue depends on what the OP is envisioning. I wouldn't want to live in Kingfield (or East Harriet) without a car due to the grocery issue, but they don't say that they plan on doing everything via foot or bus. And Kingfield also has at least one HOURCAR location (38th and Nicollet?) if they do plan on going car-free. I think it's a great neighborhood for doing many things on foot, bike, or by bus, but it would still be helpful to have a car if living there (which is probably just fine with the OP, but there are more convenient neighborhoods if they are deciding to totally forego the car.).

Also to throw into the mix, parts of Lyndale neighborhood could also work. Some portions of the neighborhood do have a greater crime problems (along Nicollet and right off Lake, mostly), but other parts are pretty nice, affordable (don't know OP's budget) and family-friendly.
It's a pretty quick hop on the 18 to Cub on 60th, but I personally would not want to have to grocery shop by bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul