Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:53 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,909,395 times

Advertisements

What kind of rent would a carriage house demand? Total rent and cost/SF?? I realize there may be a premium to live in somebody's backyard and I wonder if it's too costly for most people to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 01:39 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,851,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
What kind of rent would a carriage house demand? Total rent and cost/SF?? I realize there may be a premium to live in somebody's backyard and I wonder if it's too costly for most people to consider.
I doubt it, but this would all depend on the area it's in and what the homeowner is asking. A carriage house in Kenwood or on Summit Ave would likely carry a big price tag, but otherwise it would just be like renting part of a duplex or someone's house IMO, with a bonus of being able to have your own house-like structure and likely a decent lot shared by you and just one other family (likely in a single family area). I would have done it back when I was a renter, but I don't think they are all too common.

My BIL was once seriously considering purchasing a carriage house (on a lot that had been rezoned) in the Summit/Grand area- it previously belonged to one of the mansions in the area, was a significantly large structure, and had been completely overhauled/redone with not a lot of expense spared (I believe it was a 2/2). I can't remember the exact asking price but I know it was at least $200K if not a fair amount more.

Also- to Slig- I guess a question I would have is whether you need to rezone your lot if you were actually planning on a parent living in it? I suppose if you want to rent it down the road you wouldn't want your property considered 'single-family', but if it is a family member living there you could just say it's an office area/addtl sq ftage above the garage I suppose.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:34 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,425,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post

Also- to Slig- I guess a question I would have is whether you need to rezone your lot if you were actually planning on a parent living in it? I suppose if you want to rent it down the road you wouldn't want your property considered 'single-family', but if it is a family member living there you could just say it's an office area/addtl sq ftage above the garage I suppose.
Yes, that would be the primary reason but I'd want it to be set up where I'd have the option to rent it out because I'm not sure how permanent this arrangement would be. That does raise another question though on whether or not that would change the zoning of the property though.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,794,860 times
I'm certainly no expert, but I believe that if you add electricity and plumbing (I think it's mostly the plumbing) and therefore make it a complete separate living unit -- whether or not your current tenant is someone in the family or not -- the city let you build it unless they've given you the variance that would make it legal to have the two units. That's separate from the rental license, and FYI, you're still required to have a rental license if renting to someone in the family. (You don't, however, have to pay the hefty rental fee that a commercial landlord has to pay; if it's in the family you just pay for a basic inspection and the license, which runs around $65 or something. I believe it's a newish rule, and is designed to make sure that family members still are living in safe housing that meets modern codes.) In any case, I'm pretty sure they won't allow you to put in a full kitchen or bath unless you get the variance. They don't want to make it easy for you or for any future owner to illegally use it as a separate apartment.

If you call 311 they can help answer some basic questions and direct you to the right person. They can at least confirm both your current zoning as well as let you know if there's any possible upcoming changes. I think they added the Phillips accessory dwelling overlay district (or whatever it's officially called) to coincide with the opening of the LRT line, as the goal was to increase affordable housing options, especially along the transit line. Does your neighborhood have a master plan? When the time comes to research this more, I'd see what they have to say about it. I know the CARAG Master Plan supports them, and while that document is not, of course, binding, it's useful to have that kind of formal backing when you're approaching the city. And again, in theory the city is very supportive of this kind of building, so with luck when the time comes you'll be able to sail through the variance process.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:06 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,909,395 times
Why don't you just call the city and see what info. you can gather?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul