Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:02 AM

7 posts, read 11,146 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are an African American and African German 3 person professional family. We are looking for a cute neighborhood to live and open an international organization.

I have a few questions.
Are there any multicultural, schools, organizations, churches in the area.

Are there any cute "walking neighborhoods".
Which neighborhoods are affordable. Are there any music and arts programs for children in the area.
Are there strong parents groups. Are there a German or Afro German groups or orgs or Samstags
schule in the area.

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 11:17 AM

Also, Vegan and Vegetarian cafe' s or community events! Thank you again

Old 11-15-2011, 03:23 PM

332 posts, read 823,889 times
downtown hopkins is nice. very family friendly and more affordable than edina.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:35 AM

Is Hopkins a neighborhood in one of the cities?

Old 11-19-2011, 10:12 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,148,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunabobo View Post
Is Hopkins a neighborhood in one of the cities?
Hopkins is a suburb to the southwest of Minneapolis that used to be a small standalone town, but which was surrounded by suburban growth back in the 60's. It's a little island of small town-like atmosphere in suburbia, though.

City of Hopkins, Minnesota
Hopkins, Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-19-2011, 10:20 PM

812 posts, read 2,178,975 times
I can't help you on the AA/German connection but it wouldn't surprise me. Minnesota seems to have a lot of German's floating around.

It sounds like you'd like Minneapolis proper a bit better. There's a lot of churches, any particular religion interest you?

You'll be in good shape for art programs, there's several museums and musicians in the area. I think getting a strong arts background isn't hard. Minnesota is home to Perpich Center to the Arts, a statewide art high school that accepts very talented high schoolers.

As far as what neighborhood would be best it depends on what organization you're working on. What group are you trying to reach?

Old 11-26-2011, 03:57 PM

Thank you for all of the great info. What about the cities. Do they have still have a Midwestern mentality or leaning more toward a New England(ish) type of feel?

Old 11-26-2011, 04:12 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,039,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunabobo View Post
Thank you for all of the great info. What about the cities. Do they have still have a Midwestern mentality or leaning more toward a New England(ish) type of feel?
It's gonna be a Midwestern feeling. After all, we are in the Midwest. I've never heard of anyone say that the Twin Cities feels like anything out east. But I think from your wording, you may be attaching certain negative connotations to the Midwestern vibe, which may or may not be present in the Twin Cities. I think we're a slightly different beast than, say, Missouri or Iowa.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:26 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,910,318 times
I've heard people describe St. Paul as "East-like". Now that I live in Cleveland (or damn near it), I can see some parallels between St. Paul and town/cities further East (Cleveland is often considered more N'Eastern than Midwestern).

Old 12-04-2011, 08:10 AM

I guess you may be right, about that. The area sounds wonderful. I guess I am afraid of the stereotypical so called Midwestern mentality. It can be a bit frightening. You would think for a person who has lived all over the world and knows that these stereotypes mean nothing, I would be able to let go of such unfounded bias. Thank you really for answering all of my questions with patience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul