Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:54 AM

77 posts, read 199,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
All true. Also, typically better social services and safety nets in Minnesota than in other states, so when issues tied to deindustrialization-- income disparity and poverty, namely-- arose in places like Chicago, we became a magnet for transplants from that area (of any race, actually...)

The social safety net was a factor for some. Many AAs moved to the Twin Cities for professional opportunities; a recruitment effort occured during the 1960s under Mayor Arthur Naftalin's administration (I think that was his name) to bring in black professionals to work for 3M, Pillsbury, etc. Others moved in through word of mouth about the aforementioned jobs, social safety nets (read: public assistance), etc, or through professional recruitment during the 1980s/1990s/2000s.

What's funny is that only about 1% of all migrants from Chicago (largely black) got on welfare after arriving in Minnesota during the 1980s and 1990s (Google it). Most worked in low-skilled jobs, or were already part of the large black professional class in Chicago and other cities to begin with, and found opportunities in Minnesota.

What has stood out about the black migration to Minnesota (and now in Iowa), is that a disproportionate number of AAs were/are impoverished, as opposed to black migrants to Sun Belt cities (Atlanta/Houston/Dallas), many of whom tend to be college educated and middle-class to begin with who have family roots in the South and a desire to find cheaper housing and COL.

Last edited by Squeaky2012; 12-07-2011 at 10:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 05:50 PM

550 posts, read 1,638,114 times
If one of your family members is a young child, there is a German Immersion school near the UofM, I'm not sure if it's on the St. Paul or Minneapolis side, off the top of my head. There is a German Cultural Center in south Mpls with events throughout the year.

My ex is black and my kids are bi... Minnesota is pretty accepting of inter-racial relationships throughout the metro area. There are not predominately middle-class black neighborhoods/suburbs in the Twin Cities, such as what you'll find in southern states.

Shoreview and Arden Hills, suburbs north of St. Paul but near Mpls as well, has a lot of residents who hail from other countries, this is due to the fact several technology companies are located in the northern suburbs.

Good Luck!

Old 12-19-2011, 04:23 AM

7 posts, read 11,130 times
I am not so much interested in having a 100% African American neighborhood, however, it would be nice to live in an area with a large percentage. We are use to Europe, where , everyone lives everywhere, however, there is the flavor of "culture". I need this because I have a small child and I don't want anyone being mean to her, because of her background. When we were in Norway, we were told there were a lot of African-Norwegians in Minnesota. We loved the people of Norway, they are wonderful, kind and open. So the very large population of Norwegians in the area was also a drawing point.
You all sound absolutely wonderful. I hope you all are a reflection of the people living there.

Thank you again for everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul