Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 05:45 AM

687 posts, read 1,257,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Well, I just got done setting up internet and landline at our new place and got a landline with unlimited long distance for only $5/mo more than than I expected to pay for local-only service, so that frees us up to just grab about the cheapest plan we have (most of our minutes go to calling family from home, anyways). Plus, I think I'll be able to get 15% off a cell plan through the U of MN, or maybe more through my wife's work.
I've got T-Mobile's pay-as-you-go phone. For me, it looks like it's going to end up costing about $5 a month. And you only need to add minutes once per year. Coverage seems good throughout the metro. It also picks up other networks when traveling (including i-wireless).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,654,346 times
My cell phone plan is with Verizon. I've had no problems with service or anything. I used to be with Sprint. Personally, I'll never use them again. I found them difficult to deal with. That could just be my experience though.

On the flip side, I'm seriously checking into going back to using a land line and getting rid of my cell phone. I switched to a cell phone because it was cheaper but I hate them. I need to find out how much a land line is and what their long distance rates are for those rare, occasions I would use it.

Unlike others here, I'm NOT a fan of gadgets and gizmos. (After they invented indoor plumbing, I was content.) I don't own a TV, radio, stereo, CD, DVDs, microwave, toaster, dishwasher, microwave, etc., Not even a house or car. I really enjoy living simply. Heck, I still make my own bread every other day.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:01 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,427,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
My cell phone plan is with Verizon. I've had no problems with service or anything. I used to be with Sprint. Personally, I'll never use them again. I found them difficult to deal with. That could just be my experience though.

On the flip side, I'm seriously checking into going back to using a land line and getting rid of my cell phone. I switched to a cell phone because it was cheaper but I hate them. I need to find out how much a land line is and what their long distance rates are for those rare, occasions I would use it.

Unlike others here, I'm NOT a fan of gadgets and gizmos. (After they invented indoor plumbing, I was content.) I don't own a TV, radio, stereo, CD, DVDs, microwave, toaster, dishwasher, microwave, etc., Not even a house or car. I really enjoy living simply. Heck, I still make my own bread every other day.

A landline with local-only service will run you ~$15/mo (closer to $20 after taxes, I suspect). For a few dollars more, you get long distance access at 5 or 10 cents a minute. Or for up in the ~$35/mo range you can get unlimited long distance.

Of course, if you've got internet service, you can get some better deals. I'm basically getting unlimited long distance on my land line for $20/month and DSL 7 Mbps internet for $40/month.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
A landline with local-only service will run you ~$15/mo (closer to $20 after taxes, I suspect). For a few dollars more, you get long distance access at 5 or 10 cents a minute. Or for up in the ~$35/mo range you can get unlimited long distance.

Of course, if you've got internet service, you can get some better deals. I'm basically getting unlimited long distance on my land line for $20/month and DSL 7 Mbps internet for $40/month.
I'm not a techie so help me break down the part in bold. Right now, I have Comcast and pay $65 a month. They force me to have a $15 basic cable package when I don't even own a television! I've been trying to leave Comcast but I don't know anything about internet speeds.

Is DSL 7 Mbps good compared to Comcast? I do watch movies online and don't want a slower internet speed because buffering is bad enough as it is. What is Comcast's speed?

I'm paying about $55/mo for cell phone and $65 a month for internet. If I could drop one of those bills and keep my internet speed at least as fast as it is now, I'd do it in a heartbeat. And how are you getting unlimited long distance on your land line and only paying $20 a month?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Quote:
I'm not a techie so help me break down the part in bold. Right now, I have Comcast and pay $65 a month. They force me to have a $15 basic cable package when I don't even own a television! I've been trying to leave Comcast but I don't know anything about internet speeds.

Is DSL 7 Mbps good compared to Comcast? I do watch movies online and don't want a slower internet speed because buffering is bad enough as it is. What is Comcast's speed?

I'm paying about $55/mo for cell phone and $65 a month for internet. If I could drop one of those bills and keep my internet speed at least as fast as it is now, I'd do it in a heartbeat. And how are you getting unlimited long distance on your land line and only paying $20 a month?
I am not a techie but I do know that how close you are to a DSL node makes all the difference in the world with your speed. We moved from cable internet (Charter) to DSL (Frontier) and our internet is FASTER with the DSL. I have no idea what speed things are though. We have a node down the street.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I am not a techie but I do know that how close you are to a DSL node makes all the difference in the world with your speed. We moved from cable internet (Charter) to DSL (Frontier) and our internet is FASTER with the DSL. I have no idea what speed things are though. We have a node down the street.
Thank you. I've never even heard of Frontier. Is there a place I can go online to check out what all of my options are - and how far I am away from nodes?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times
Quote:
I bet you have a washer/dryer though, don't you? You know if you really wanted to be simple you could get rid of those and hand wash your clothes, then hang them out on a clothesline to dry.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Quote:
Thank you. I've never even heard of Frontier. Is there a place I can go online to check out what all of my options are - and how far I am away from nodes?
The city website should have a listing of internet providers in your area. That company will be able to tell you how far you are from a node.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:59 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,427,247 times
Quote:

It looks like comcasts speeds range from 1 Mbps all the way up to 100 Mbps, depending on how much you want to pay and where you are, so it hard to say how the DSL would compare to what you have now.

FWIW, I have 1.5 Mbps DSL where I am now, and I can usually watch streaming TV from the network sites, but some days are better than others. Bump this thread in a couple weeks and I'll tell you how the 7 Mbps service is fairing.

I just got lucky on the landline deal, I think. Qwest happened to have a promotion, and one person gave it to me, then a manager said it wasn't offered anymore, or that I didn't qualify before changing her mind and giving me the price afterall. It never hurts to call and see what they offer you (beware of introductory pricing, though).

Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
It looks like comcasts speeds range from 1 Mbps all the way up to 100 Mbps, depending on how much you want to pay and where you are, so it hard to say how the DSL would compare to what you have now.

FWIW, I have 1.5 Mbps DSL where I am now, and I can usually watch streaming TV from the network sites, but some days are better than others. Bump this thread in a couple weeks and I'll tell you how the 7 Mbps service is fairing.

I just got lucky on the landline deal, I think. Qwest happened to have a promotion, and one person gave it to me, then a manager said it wasn't offered anymore, or that I didn't qualify before changing her mind and giving me the price afterall. It never hurts to call and see what they offer you (beware of introductory pricing, though).
Good information. Thanks again. The pricing your received wasn't introductory then? Does that mean you'll have that price as long as you have Qwest? I would imagine if they raise their rates, your's would then be massively increased to come back to standard pricing then, wouldn't it?

All I can do is call and ask. Can't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul