Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 PM

164 posts, read 257,113 times

Advertisements

Virgin Mobile uses Sprint's network, so your coverage would be just as good (or as bad) as any Sprint phone. In most practical applications it boils down to excellent to decent reception within metro areas and a much more spottier reception outside towns. Prices range from $23/mo for 300 to $60/mo for unlimited talk (unlimited, albeit painfully slow, internet and text messaging is included in all plans). There is no price subsidy when buying a handset from them, unlike with major carriers, but, unlike major carriers, you won't be bound by a 2-year contract either. Virgin Mobile can be a real bargain, but only when you use it in cities, whereas in rural areas there is sometimes no reception at all. I would take a look at their coverage map and see whether it is something that is suitable for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,425,878 times
Yeah, the Virgin Mobile option is something I hadn't considered, but might be a good way to go. We really don't use the phones that heavily anyways, and we'll be getting a landline as well (new baby, and I want a reliable, static number that I can always get ahold of my family at).

Good suggestion, so thanks to both of you who mentioned it.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venti View Post
What smartphone do you have gg?
Droid X--LOVE it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Yeah, the Virgin Mobile option is something I hadn't considered, but might be a good way to go. We really don't use the phones that heavily anyways, and we'll be getting a landline as well (new baby, and I want a reliable, static number that I can always get ahold of my family at).

Good suggestion, so thanks to both of you who mentioned it.
One thing a lot of families are doing now is adding an extra cell phone to their plan and having that as their home phone. There are even "landline" phones you can buy that are bluetooth capable so you set up the cell phone near the base of those and you can answer the landline from any of the phones in the house (we have some from Vtech that work like that). On Verizon and ATT that extra cell phone runs you $9.99/month (plus taxes it's about $12/month).

Old 06-24-2011, 07:19 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,658,770 times
If I were in the market for a smartphone I'd be looking at something like a Droid X also.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:16 AM

812 posts, read 2,173,772 times
I have a Tracfone that costs $100 a year. The phone I just got is pretty decent. it's not a smartphone but it has some decent features. Most phones have double minutes for life so you could probably start at about 800 minutes with a one year card. There's no contract or extra taxes and fees. The phone could be included with the card of go up to about $40.

It's clearly not a good choice for people who make a lot of calls on their call phones but if you want to be able to send a call or text occasionally these are fine. If you run out of minutes you just buy more. My husband did that once in the last seven years.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:27 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
My wife and I are part of a 5 phone family plan through a corporate account through AT&T. We each pay about $15/month with unlimited texting and there are enough minutes spread through the plan where that isn't an issue. We don't have smart phones though...not sure what they would be considered, dumb phones? The price is right, that's all I know.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
My wife and I are part of a 5 phone family plan through a corporate account through AT&T. We each pay about $15/month with unlimited texting and there are enough minutes spread through the plan where that isn't an issue. We don't have smart phones though...not sure what they would be considered, dumb phones? The price is right, that's all I know.
What do you mean "corporate account"? Is it a deal offered through one of your jobs? My wife will be working for a big enough group that they might happen to have something like that. Another good suggestion.

Dumb phones are fine with me. My favorite phone of the last decade or so was the Tracfone one I had that didn't have a color screen, but DID have a real flashlight in the end of it.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
Quote:
What do you mean "corporate account"? Is it a deal offered through one of your jobs? My wife will be working for a big enough group that they might happen to have something like that. Another good suggestion.

Dumb phones are fine with me. My favorite phone of the last decade or so was the Tracfone one I had that didn't have a color screen, but DID have a real flashlight in the end of it.
Yeah it's through my mom's work. The Company I work for offers deals to sign up for cell phone plans through them too, I'm guessing it's fairly common.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:27 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:

I have a corporate discount on my plan too-it's 25% off the plan and accessories. Different companies have different negotiated savings but they are usually between 20-25%.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:29 PM

Well, I just got done setting up internet and landline at our new place and got a landline with unlimited long distance for only $5/mo more than than I expected to pay for local-only service, so that frees us up to just grab about the cheapest plan we have (most of our minutes go to calling family from home, anyways). Plus, I think I'll be able to get 15% off a cell plan through the U of MN, or maybe more through my wife's work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul