Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 09:47 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,428,752 times

Advertisements

Just curious, what do you all think of Walk Scores? Is it a reasonably useful metric of how walkable a particular area is?

I've enjoyed looking at the scores as I look at MSP neighborhoods, but I have seen a few oddities...particulary in the groceries category. I see places that get a higher walk score because groceries are close by, but then you see that the groceries are either Kang's North Indian Mart* or Casey's General Store, I find it a little funny. I'm also not sure if they take into account whether there are actual sidewalks and/or trails leading to the places you want to walk.

Of course, to some people, a walkable neighborhood means you can live without a car, and to others, it means there are lots of trails to woods, so no scale is going to please everyone.

*For the record, I probably would actually go out of my way to live near a good Indian mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 AM

409 posts, read 1,243,247 times
It's pretty good, but not the best. It also doesn't account for transit, which is a big deal for walkability. For example, where I live now in Chicago scores an 83, but that doesn't account for the fact that I am one block from the L, where I can catch a train every 15 minutes or less 24 hours a day. If I enter the address of the station one north of mine, it scores a 99, but me being a five minute train ride away doesn't help my score.

Also, I beleive it is weighted too heavily in favor of super close things. For example, my former home in Diamond Lake scored about the same as my former home in East Harriet. The house in East Harriet seemed a lot more walkable to me, however. Thanks to geography, walking to Lyn-Lake was more convenient than walking to Linden Hills, but walk score didn't think so.

They should also take into effect how pedestrian oriented an area is. I'll walk 3 miles on your average Minneapolis street before I'd walk 1 mile on an average Plymouth street.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:59 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,768,872 times
It's pretty good, but not perfect. It's a great resource as a starting point for research, but it can't replace actual on-the-ground experience. (or couple it with some "walks" via Google street view)

DaPerpKazoo: where in Chicago do you live, if you don't mind me asking? We're looking at places in Lincoln Park (due to school), with move date this month. Walkscores in the area we're focusing on have ranged from low 80s to mid-90s.

I've heard that it's better in the city than in the suburbs (in the Twin Cities, anyway), although I don't have enough experience to comment on that aspect myself. I think that's because of the issues mentioned above -- pedestrian-appeal of the street, that sort of thing.

They have transit scores now, but I'm not sure how useful those are. A good starting place, I suppose. It's very useful to at least get a preliminary snapshot of an area.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:57 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,117,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Just curious, what do you all think of Walk Scores? Is it a reasonably useful metric of how walkable a particular area is?
It's an interesting idea, but the last time I looked at my local area there were a number of serious mistakes (business shown which did not exist, and businesses which exist that were not shown) and there was no obvious way to submit corrections.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:09 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,401,993 times
I've looked at it for alot of different locations and I've found the mistakes and missing locations to be pretty consistent anywhere you look. As a result, I still find the website to be a useful tool when comparing the walkability of different locations.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:51 PM

409 posts, read 1,243,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post

DaPerpKazoo: where in Chicago do you live, if you don't mind me asking? We're looking at places in Lincoln Park (due to school), with move date this month. Walkscores in the area we're focusing on have ranged from low 80s to mid-90s.
(Looking again, the station is only 91, but same difference)

I'm living on campus at Illinois Tech as of right now, which is in Bronzeville, just about where it meets Armour Square. I'm planning of finding a place in Bridgeport by August (31st and Halstead would be my ideal location). I might end up a bit east (around 33rd and King), but would really rather be in eastern Bridgeport.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:05 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,230,433 times
It's not great, but it gives you an idea. I'm not sure how variety is taken into account in the score. Where I lived in Marcy-Holmes has a 91, and where I live now in Philadelphia has a 95. And while I considered where I lived in Marcy-Holmes quite walkable, the idea that it is only 4 points lower than where I live now is laughable.

And, for example, they count a kitchen boutique store as a grocery store.

Also, the transit score is broken. It says I am within walking distance of 20 rail lines, but I'm actually within walking distance of 22.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:28 AM

1,936 posts, read 5,842,956 times
Agree w/others- a good general guide, but shouldn't be viewed as "the bible" on an area's walkability (which, as others have referenced, is a somewhat subjective term in itself). In my neighborhood, one of the small parks w/in neighborhood shows up as a "park", but the entire Park District surrounding the neighborhood does not register.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,377,511 times
I don't find it accurate at all for our area. It does not recognize most stores in our area and "walks" us to places 3 miles away, skipping over 4 other coffee shops to get there too.

Street view on Google maps is a better option to see what is in the immediate area but that isn't available everywhere.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:48 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,428,752 times
I do like Street View...lots of fun to give myself virtual "tours" of neighborhoods, although I find that my response is heavily affected by whether it was sunny or cloudy the day the google car drove through. Have to remind myself to look past that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul