Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:55 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Yes, forcing kids to be held accountable for their parents' welfare money is a great idea. Watch, I bet domestic child abuse cases skyrocket as a result.

This would also provide even more motivation for kids to cheat in school in order to make the grade as well...
No, it wouldn't be holding the kids responsible for their parent's welfare, it would be holding the PARENTS responsible for their children...what is wrong with giving people incentive to do well in school or see that their children do?

SOMETHING has to be done...but what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:17 PM

455 posts, read 639,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Now, which welfare programs should we cut? How about bailouts for incompetent banks,
I'd probably be on board with that. Definitely no bailouts for the auto industry. Banks are a different beast, but running $1.4 trillion dollar annual deficits is not OK.

Quote:
and zero percent loans from the Fed to its banks?
No. First, the Fed is not loaning to banks at 0%. Even if it was, that is not really a welfare program--and to the extent that it looks like one to you, the Fed doesn't answer to the government with respect to its interest rates anyway.

Quote:
Or tax-free transfers of estate wealth?
Well, of course, 2010 was a historical anomaly in having a totally estate-tax-free window. But I don't really consider it a welfare program for the government just to not take all your assets when you die.

Quote:
Or farm subsidies for people that sit on fallow land instead of farming (i.e. Michelle Bachman)?
I'm cool with that. Better yet, let's rethink farm subsidies altogether.

Quote:
Or mortgage interest tax deductions?
Deal. No mortgage interest deductions.

Quote:
Heck, any tax deductions whatsoever?.
Deal. No deductions. Let's simplify. I'll meet you in the middle--no favorable treatment for capital gains if we can agree to a flat tax rate for everybody, with few or no deductions (one that I would be OK with is charitable contributions, but generally I support your idea).

Old 01-26-2011, 07:01 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,660,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Let's simplify. I'll meet you in the middle--
They say politics is the "art of the possible". Maybe we can pull our collective butt out of this sling...

Old 01-28-2011, 04:14 AM

9,797 posts, read 11,191,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No, it wouldn't be holding the kids responsible for their parent's welfare, it would be holding the PARENTS responsible for their children...what is wrong with giving people incentive to do well in school or see that their children do?

SOMETHING has to be done...but what?
I teach my kids that if you don't kick butt in school, they run the risk of being average. If you live in "Averageville", then your life will be full of financial struggles and hardships.

The problem is, some cultures don't care to kick butt. So statistically, the teachers are powerless unless the culture changes. It seems to me that school funding should be aimed towards parental education and marketing programs that attempt to get into their thick skulls. Market it as it's cool to be smart and if you don't try you won't have a safety net. Spending more money in the classroom (statistically) isn't working. The districts that spend over $12K per kid get terrible results. Simply put, the most important teacher is the parent. You can superglue a text book to underachieving cultures and many families throughout MN will STILL coast. They are wasting their opportunity. Teachers MIGHT be able to get though to Kid's but only if they take on that parenting role. That's not their job.

My marketing plan would be education through tough love. If you don't hit the grades or possess the knowledge, then you off the system for life because you wasted your opportunity. Culturally speaking, there are many groups that have arrived in this great State that have seized the opportunity. Their culture mandates that they kick butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: