Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 10:15 AM

10 posts, read 18,090 times

Advertisements

Hello my family lives in San Antonio. Over the next 3 years we are going to travel to Michigan, Oregon, Colorado, Maine and Idaho in order to look at homes to live in May-September in order to avoid Texas summers. Our budget is 300000-700000.

Here is some of our likes/wants:
Not too hot, lower humidity highs in the mid 80s with some days in the 90s ok.
Not too isolated. May eliminate upper peninsula?
45 minute drive to coast/lake/beach area. Would love to be able to drive to one of the Great Lakes.
Kayak/canoeing
Hiking
River and bay fishing for steelhead/salmon.
River tube floating
ATV/snowmobile riding. We may come up for winter holidays
Swimming
Good town atmosphere would like to be able to walk around town versus drive.
We will both be retired so not concerned about jobs.
Volunteer opportunities.
We have an adult autistic daughter who lives with us so a day habilitation program while not needed would be a bonus.
Thanks for your time and consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 11:22 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjak View Post
Not too hot, lower humidity highs in the mid 80s with some days in the 90s ok.
Not Michigan then.
For example, last July in Mt pleasant it averaged a high of 80. RH ranged from 100% to 79%. The driest day was 80F with 79% RH. July 4 was 90F with 90% RH.

Quote:
Not too isolated. May eliminate upper peninsula?
Depends on what you think is isolated, you might cross off everything north of Mt Pleasant/US10

Quote:
45 minute drive to coast/lake/beach area. Would love to be able to drive to one of the Great Lakes.
Kayak/canoeing
Hiking
River and bay fishing for steelhead/salmon.
River tube floating
ATV/snowmobile riding. We may come up for winter holidays
Swimming
No problem anywhere

Quote:
Good town atmosphere would like to be able to walk around town versus drive.
The only walkable town in Michigan is Ann Arbor

Old 04-02-2024, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Not Michigan then.
For example, last July in Mt pleasant it averaged a high of 80. RH ranged from 100% to 79%. The driest day was 80F with 79% RH. July 4 was 90F with 90% RH.
Those temps/RH sound awesome. I guess I should have said lower is better.

Depends on what you think is isolated, you might cross off everything north of Mt Pleasant/US10

Guess I would define isolated as more than 30 minutes to a good trauma/emergency hospital 1.5 hours to a regional airport

No problem anywhere

Thanks

I will eliminate walkable town from my listTHANKS

Old 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
I'd Check out the cities of Grand Haven and South Haven. They are on the lakeshore so they are a bit cooler in the summer. Both are within an hours drive of the level 1 trauma centers, and airport in Grand Rapids. If you wanted more urban you could look in Grand Rapids. It is walkable, but will be hotter in the summer.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:58 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
I would say this is heavily overstated hyperbole. There are plenty of walkable towns in the state. Most folks would categorize AA as a core city anyway, not a "walkable town".

Old 04-03-2024, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I would say this is heavily overstated hyperbole. There are plenty of walkable towns in the state. Most folks would categorize AA as a core city anyway, not a "walkable town".
thank you

Old 04-03-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I'd Check out the cities of Grand Haven and South Haven. They are on the lakeshore so they are a bit cooler in the summer. Both are within an hours drive of the level 1 trauma centers, and airport in Grand Rapids. If you wanted more urban you could look in Grand Rapids. It is walkable, but will be hotter in the summer.
I appreciate the feedback

Old 04-04-2024, 08:40 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Your budget will get you most anywhere in Marine.

Old 04-04-2024, 10:17 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
When you say "not too isolated", isolated from what?

Old 04-04-2024, 11:38 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,254 times
Quote:
Not Michigan then.

No problem anywhere

Simply not true. OP is looking for a summer home. Look on the west side of the state. Up and down the coastline you will find plenty of small, walkable towns. Charlevoix, Petosky, South Haven, etc. Heck, even Kalamazoo would be a cool place to live. I went to college there. Close to Lake Michigan, and if you live close enough to downtown it's very walkable and fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan