Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 05:32 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosleymitchell88 View Post
Compared to South Arkansas, Miami's summers are actually nicer, in my opinion. Here, it's not uncommon to reach the high 90s/ low 100s with high humidity anywhere from June-September.
I realize that this is an old thread brought back to life by a new poster, but I'll add my comments as well. All of the posters who are comparing Miami summers to Hell must not have lived anywhere else in the country that has sweltering summers. Because Miami isn't bad in comparison. Among other places, I've lived in Miami for 25 years and I've lived in the Washington, DC area for 25 years, and believe me, there is no comparison between the two. Especially in August. Think Miami heat and humidity and add about 10-15 degrees. How would you like to experience Miami humidity and a temperature of 100-105? That's DC in August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 10:13 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I realize that this is an old thread brought back to life by a new poster, but I'll add my comments as well. All of the posters who are comparing Miami summers to Hell must not have lived anywhere else in the country that has sweltering summers. Because Miami isn't bad in comparison. Among other places, I've lived in Miami for 25 years and I've lived in the Washington, DC area for 25 years, and believe me, there is no comparison between the two. Especially in August. Think Miami heat and humidity and add about 10-15 degrees. How would you like to experience Miami humidity and a temperature of 100-105? That's DC in August.
100-105 is not bad for summer in Dallas. Talk about hell!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM

650 posts, read 1,630,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100percent View Post
hurricanes and thunderstorms in all of America. How true is this? Does it rain everyday from the months of June- September?.....( I was told it does)

Please be honest! Please include alot of detail on Miami weather.
Miami borders a tropical rainforest climate in Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. If you don't believe me see for yourself:

Climate of Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Miami is a tropical city and if you are not ready to see endless wildlife of iguanas, colorful parrots, chimpanzees and other tropical animals showing up unexpectedly in your backyard, then Miami is not for you. Also the vegetation is way different as you get from central Florida to Miami, b/c Miami has tropical plants all over the place, which needs sufficient amount of precipitation, or it won't be looking lush, but looking as dry as semi-arid Honolulu.

Miami is not dry at all. Far from it. And, it's really humid although the breeze and thunderstorms would somewhat control the heat most times in the summer. It's not like it's inland. But, Miami is that kind of city where the rain would never go away in Miami

Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
When you compare actual temps, Miami doesn't get as hot as many places across the country. When people complain about Miami's heat it is usually the length of time we have the heat, not who is hotter (we know Miami doesn't get as hot as parts of New Mexico). Many places in the country get the heat maybe four months out of the years then they can look forward to milder temps come Fall. That doesn't happen all to much the last 10 years in Miami.

A few years ago, I looked up the temperatures of the year prior and we had what totaled 10 months of 80+ degree temps. Right now its 81F with 77% humidity on Dec 10, doesn't really put you in that holiday spirit...

Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 AM

Miami right now is averaging 80 H and 70 L in the month of December and has had 5 rainy days out of 10 days and is expecting more days of rain, in its so called "dry-season"...that should tell you all you need to know about Miami. Does that clear things up for the OP?

Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
OP says "worst thunderstorms". Well frankly, I think they are glorious! I used to love walking around in those downpours. Bathwater temps - rain so heavy it looked like a grey shower curtain. The water on Collins Ave would get 18 inches deep. And that was one of the few times I could walk down the street without dealing with any hustlers. We used to say the Miami rain washes all the "scum" off the streets.

One time I got caught in a downpour on my motorcycle driving from Homestead to SoBe. My brother was on the back so that made it worse. There was probably 10 inches of water on Biscayne Blvd. I was worried my motor would stall, but other than that, I had no problem driving in the rain. We must have driven 5 miles in at least 6 inches of ground water!

Ya gotta love water if you live in MIA. Water is the essence of life - our bodies are 80% water! If ya don't love water, you could always live in PHX.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Miami borders a tropical rainforest climate in Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. If you don't believe me see for yourself:

Climate of Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Miami is a tropical city and if you are not ready to see endless wildlife of iguanas, colorful parrots, chimpanzees and other tropical animals showing up unexpectedly in your backyard, then Miami is not for you. Also the vegetation is way different as you get from central Florida to Miami, b/c Miami has tropical plants all over the place, which needs sufficient amount of precipitation, or it won't be looking lush, but looking as dry as semi-arid Honolulu.

Miami is not dry at all. Far from it. And, it's really humid although the breeze and thunderstorms would somewhat control the heat most times in the summer. It's not like it's inland. But, Miami is that kind of city where the rain would never go away in Miami
Honolulu is tropical.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
@canefandynasty, I can tell you that Honolulu is lush as I have actually lived there, and you have never been. Wanna see semi-arid and dry? Come to San Diego.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Honolulu is tropical.
Honolulu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,900,833 times
Chimpanzees???? This is FAR from the norm. I've only seen them in the zoo and I've lived in Miami for almost 40 years. I don't have an endless sea of any wildlife besides lizards in my yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami