Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 01:59 PM

44 posts, read 120,458 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old woman. I am considering M.I.A. because I am looking into being a club promoter. I know Miami has alot of celebs living there. My question is, what should i be cautious about? Is the crime as bad as the media portrays it to be? Is the economy as bad as the media portrays?

Any other precautions would be appreciated as well...Thank you so much.

*detailed answers would be best* Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 02:51 PM

38 posts, read 54,592 times
M.I.A. (miami international airport)? nobody lives at the airport. sorry that was from the late george carlin, referring why they tell us the temperature at the airport.
being a club promoter, which i'm not; and you being 25 year old female - you really need to be cautious of alot. miami has many small towns that has more crime than others. places i won't go are liberty city, brownsville, culmer, hialeah (the traffic stinks around 103rd street, also known as 49th street which is out west). the people in hialeah are great, so is their food - but as a gringo, i speak little spanish, i just don't like grid lock traffic. the others cities, mention above has many great people. miami has so many small cities outside the main miami area, i don't think i could name them all with one of us falling asleep. aventura, north miami beach(which is not on the beach), kendall, south miami, and miami shores are just a few of the miami cities in dade county (now called miami-dade; used to be called metro-dade). then there's the beaches. south beach, bal harbour, surfside, sunny isles, golden beach, and others i can't remember.
the economy, i've been unemployed for over a year, along 11+%. for me it's tough.
but you being as young as you are, if you have knowledge of that industry, and know somebody, you should doe just fine.
any other specifics, i'll try to answer the best i can.
nite

Old 03-14-2010, 03:05 PM

thank you

Old 03-15-2010, 05:52 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,196 times
Just so you know...there are a LOT of club promoters (or people who claim to be one) here in Miami...

Old 03-15-2010, 12:25 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
Just so you know...there are a LOT of club promoters (or people who claim to be one) here in Miami...
Very true. I've known so many through the years. I really thought at some point it was a code for drug dealer It's just too many of them. I guess it makes them feel cool or something.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:29 PM

please tell me about the CRIME!!!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:27 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100percent View Post
please tell me about the CRIME!!!!!
Don't live in the 'hood and it probably won't be an issue.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 AM

4 posts, read 12,602 times
I used to live in Miami for one year and I didn't like it. I guess it's great for young people because of all the clubs and everything.

Unless you share an apartment with someone (you don't know), it is very expensive. Because it is a metro area of course there is more crime than somewhere else, but I personally never had a problem with it, but on Thanksgiving they broke in to several apartments in our community (during the day).

In my opinion, people also tend to be very rude. We met some very nice people which we call our friends now, but most of the people don't even say hello (dunno, but I think this is what I expect from my neighbors). The traffic is ...well... terrible. It's all about aggression (honking, tailgating, speeding,...).

But that's just my personal opinion. If South Florida, I would prefer Fort Lauderdale.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:33 AM

984 posts, read 4,316,298 times
Crime probably won't be a problem for you, as long as you don't go to the bad neighborhoods ( there are a few in Miami - Liberty City, Little Haiti, Overtown, Opa-Locka, Florida City, Goulds and immediately surrounding areas are the main ones - ) and take basic safety precautions.

There are a few sites on the web where you can see crime incidents by the area (these two are the most popular):

SpotCrime - Know Your Neighborhood

My Neighborhood: Crime Incident
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami