Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:19 PM

170 posts, read 286,007 times

Advertisements

Oh Miami, I am so tired of you....

I am tired of being discriminated against, just because English is my first language. I am tired of the rip-off culture and the horrible drivers. I am sick of being blasted just because I post negative views (this city is afraid of anything negative, IMO). See....I will admit that where I come from (Birmingham, England) sucks, but I will also admit that despite its suck-age, Birmingham has some good things too, such as history, museums, parks, art galleries, good public transportation (compared to Miami). I will accept that Birmingham sucks, but many people in Miami are so blind that they cannot see what is truly wrong with this city. Miami promotes itself as a kind of tropical paradise, but its not. This is a city where the rich are REALLY rich and the poor are REALLY poor....and where there is no middle class. Miami is afraid of the negative....it sees itself as paradise any many of its citizens are truly blinded by the truth. In most other cities, people will accept the negative points of view along with embrace the positive....here people are simply blnd. "Miami is paradise"....yeah, right...tell that to the poor/homeless people who can't afford to live here. This is a city that is a playground for the rich, but hell for the poor (and middle class). All the coastline/views/scenery is being taken away by condo developments.....trust me. The limited amount of beauty in Miami is reserved for the RICH. The poor are forced to live in view-less accomomdation in Kendall, Hialeah or Opa Locka.

I have no friends here - why? Because people here are selfish, greedy, opportunistic users of the worst kind. So on that note, I am GLAD that I don't have friends here....friends that'd use me and generally f**k me over. I am not anti-Latin, but it seems to me that the some of the Cubans here take pride in the fact that Dade County is theirs for the taking...hence the fact that it's become "La Republica Miami-Dade". Is this the United States...hell no, and I say that as a foreigner.

I am sick of this place....truly. I'm sure that this post will be deleted, but I hope that at least a few people see it and get to relate to it. I can't wait to leave for the developed world...the United States. I still think that America is great, but Miami has become what Cuba would be like if it were capitalist, i.e. if Fidel didn't exist. I don't blame Hispanics in general for the way this city is......this city has somehow become a society of *******s, whether Hispanic, white, black, rich of poor.

I’ve traveled a lot in my time, but I’ve never lived in a city so full of so many selfish, materialistic, superficial, judgmental, ignorant a-holes than I’ve encountered here. People here simply need to chill the “f” out, seriously. I thought that LA was bad in that respect, at least until I came here (and LA has the whole Hollywood thing as an excuse). To me, people here seem like they have their heads lodged up a dark, warm hole…if you know what I mean.

Last edited by nothingman; 03-22-2007 at 06:34 PM..

Old 03-22-2007, 06:27 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,621,844 times
wow- so sorry to hear of your experience. i haven't been down there since 1999; but I bet it's worse. Hope you can find a new place, nothingman. Even Central FL still has some nice areas- why don't you move north?

sunny

Old 03-22-2007, 06:29 PM

170 posts, read 286,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
wow- so sorry to hear of your experience. i haven't been down there since 1999; but I bet it's worse. Hope you can find a new place, nothingman. Even Central FL still has some nice areas- why don't you move north?

sunny
I like the rest of Florida. I stayed in Inverness a few months ago and the locals were nothing but friendly....very friendly, actually. They were rednecks, but I liked them....salt of the earth, kinda people....not like the people of Miami at all.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:45 PM

670 posts, read 1,745,688 times
Angry Ok, enough is enough....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
People here badmouth the "rednecks", "gringos", "white-trash", yet they are no better. Replace country music and nascar with reggaeton and machismo and it's about the same....TRASH. Oh and at least the rednecks in Florida didn't discriminate against me for speaking English.
You and Mrs. Cleaver have been talking trash for weeks in different threads and nobody has called you on it. I will.
I live in Lake County, 90% white NON Hispanic. Own property in Martin County, 92% white NON-Hispanic.
Plenty of "rednecks" in both counties. Rebel flags from pickups. In older cementeries you see little bright new rebel flags by the tombstones of old confederates soldiers, along with fresh flowers. I've riden with these "rednecks" on motorcycle rides down towns that nobody has ever heard of.
So, I can say with some authority the following: unlike you and Mrs. Cleaver, real rednecks don't whine and cry about how all terrible it is with the hispanics coming in...etc. I've never hid from ANYONE that I was born in Cuba.
Actually, curiously, it's the NYrs that the "rednecks" REALLY dislike.
By the way, on fighting wars, I served. Have you and Mrs. Cleaver?

Old 03-24-2007, 02:16 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,781,121 times
Funny you should mention this, I was driving east on Miller Road to my parent's home a couple of years ago and I saw a blond haired guy pushing a pickup truck. I passed him, turned off the road and ran back to help. We got the truck off the road into horse country. Turns out he had water in the gas, I helped him siphon the water from the tank and from the carburetor. Turns out he was from Georgia and was down here for the hurricane cleanup. His truck had stalled a few times, and he watched police cars and everyone else drive by. Seeing me stop he asks "where are you from" and I said, key Largo. Seeme he was used to someone stopping to help but I told him that in Miami unless you're pretty and female no one will stop. In big cities people help only if they can get something in return. They often ask for money for any deeds they do! After we go the truck running he gave me his name and phone number, in case I ever visited North Georgia. Also he did like my old car a lot, and I told him that while those who migrate to Miami may not be helpful, some are. It's not a racial thing but a cultural one. And big city people are less inclined to meet others than those from rural towns.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:21 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,781,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Oh Miami, I am so tired of you....

I am tired of being discriminated against, just because English is my first language. I am tired of the rip-off culture and the horrible drivers. I am sick of being blasted just because I post negative views (this city is afraid of anything negative, IMO). See....I will admit that where I come from (Birmingham, England) sucks, but I will also admit that despite its suck-age, Birmingham has some good things too, such as history, museums, parks, art galleries, good public transportation (compared to Miami). I will accept that Birmingham sucks, but many people in Miami are so blind that they cannot see what is truly wrong with this city. Miami promotes itself as a kind of tropical paradise, but its not. This is a city where the rich are REALLY rich and the poor are REALLY poor....and where there is no middle class. Miami is afraid of the negative....it sees itself as paradise any many of its citizens are truly blinded by the truth. In most other cities, people will accept the negative points of view along with embrace the positive....here people are simply blnd. "Miami is paradise"....yeah, right...tell that to the poor/homeless people who can't afford to live here. This is a city that is a playground for the rich, but hell for the poor (and middle class). All the coastline/views/scenery is being taken away by condo developments.....trust me. The limited amount of beauty in Miami is reserved for the RICH. The poor are forced to live in view-less accomomdation in Kendall, Hialeah or Opa Locka.

I have no friends here - why? Because people here are selfish, greedy, opportunistic users of the worst kind. So on that note, I am GLAD that I don't have friends here....friends that'd use me and generally f**k me over. I am not anti-Latin, but it seems to me that the some of the Cubans here take pride in the fact that Dade County is theirs for the taking...hence the fact that it's become "La Republica Miami-Dade". Is this the United States...hell no, and I say that as a foreigner.

I am sick of this place....truly. I'm sure that this post will be deleted, but I hope that at least a few people see it and get to relate to it. I can't wait to leave for the developed world...the United States. I still think that America is great, but Miami has become what Cuba would be like if it were capitalist, i.e. if Fidel didn't exist. I don't blame Hispanics in general for the way this city is......this city has somehow become a society of *******s, whether Hispanic, white, black, rich of poor.

I’ve traveled a lot in my time, but I’ve never lived in a city so full of so many selfish, materialistic, superficial, judgmental, ignorant a-holes than I’ve encountered here. People here simply need to chill the “f” out, seriously. I thought that LA was bad in that respect, at least until I came here (and LA has the whole Hollywood thing as an excuse). To me, people here seem like they have their heads lodged up a dark, warm hole…if you know what I mean.
Don't forget....you have a Miami native friend in Key Largo!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:08 AM

166 posts, read 987,105 times
Have you ever tried St. Augustine? It's has a European flair. I think you would actually appreciate that place. It didn't even remind me of America. More like Europe.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:16 AM

106 posts, read 380,926 times
Default L.A. versus Miami.................

I cant wait to get the hell out of this overpriced hyped up ghetto of a city. Miami desperately tries to present herself as a world class destination and time and time again she lets us down. If you want warm climate all year round, nightlife, big city and Latin culture Los Angeles is the best L.A. is an American city with a pleasant Latin charm while Miami is a septic tank reflecting the corruption, stupidity and rudeness of South America now spewing over into American soil. I heard about all the negatives of Miami before I left the west coast and I remained open minded and did not listen to the advice despite nearly all of my co workers telling me not to move to Miami because Miami sucks. I have posted on this forum several times and yes I usually do have something negative to say about Miami because Miami in general is a very negative place. Ill start with the cost of living. Miami is not expensive, its over priced. I moved here thinking that the cost of living in Miami would be cheaper and in some respects it is. For instance, parking tickets, speeding fines, haircuts are cheaper and real estate is cheaper here. However renting an apartment is not. A recent search on apartment.com revealed that apartments in Miami Metro area which I consider to be Broward as well cost the exact same as in Los Angeles. 2 bedrooms $1200 to $1500 per month. What I dont understand is how it is possible that in L.A. someone working at In and Out burger makes $11 dollars an hour and here in Miami at Burger King they make $6. Which then leads me to the **** pour customer service. Ive just given you the reason why. If you missed it read the preceding sentences.
I thought that the two cities would be similar being that both offer heavy latin influences but I was mistaken. Miami and the state of Florida in general is not very industrialized and relies heavily on tourist generated dollars. Florida has hotels restaurants and agriculture and if not for foreign investors Miami probably would have fell of the map a long time ago. L.A. is a city 10 times bigger with a metro area of 16 million and also has the largest and busiest shipping port in the nation which is the Port of Long Beach and Los Angeles. Second in population only to New York, tourism is important to L.A. but the city does not rely solely on tourism. Theres Hollywood, music, movies, real estate, over 600 hospitals in L.A. county alone, universities, etc. Where are the factories in Miami? Where is anything besides poverty and rudeness? Which brings me to my next complaint about Miami. The people. The majority of the people in Miami lack the sophistication and class found in big cities like L.A. or New York because the best and brightest people in the U.S. do not live in Miami. Why would they? As stated before we have hotels beaches and restaurants. LOW WAGES. LOW EDUCATION. Corporate America is missing from Miami and they arent coming to work in hotels, on the beach nor in a restaurant. They come here to retire or on vacation but not to live. This explains why the people are so rude, ignorant and drive so agressively. We have a disproportionate amount of juvenile delinquents. Yes we have them in L.A. in some areas but the city is so big it doesnt seem as prevelant. Miami is so small that in L.A. it would be a neighborhood or district like maybe East Los Angeles, San Fernando, or Reseda. In a nutshell I have been trying to figure out why I am so uncomfortable in Miami. The gold teeth, shouting, ridiculous driving, overpriced food and alcoholic beverages and lack of entertainment outside of Miami Beach and oxnoxious foreingers has driven me crazy. My attitude has changed and the scum of Miami is beginning to rub off on me. If you want a truly cosmopolitan city with diversity, Latin flavor L.A. is the best place to be if you can afford the cost of living. Miami suffers from her small size while L.A. benefits from being a truly large city. In Miami theres no balance. She gives you extremes. I can party and drink all night on south beach or possibly get a hair cut at eleven oclock on a Friday night so I can hit the club at 1 am but I cant find a cashier that knows how to pack groceries in a bag without stuffing 3 cartons of orange juice in the same plastic bag and smashing my eggs or a Walmart with a self check out kiosk for that matter. Like L.L. Cool J said.
Im going back to Cali, Cali, Cali.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:38 PM

975 posts, read 3,734,415 times
I'm curious, why did you decide to move from LA to Miami in the first place? Most of us on here who are interested in Fla. are trying to escape cold weather states.

Also, would you say traffic is worse in LA or Miami? thanks

Old 04-29-2007, 08:08 PM

106 posts, read 380,926 times
I left because of the cost of living and the traffic in L.A. is absolutely horrendous because it isnt predictable and the vast size of the city. You have to take the freeway to go almost everywhere and sometimes the 405 freeway stops at 1 oclock in the afternoon on Saturdays and Sundays. It is horrible. There are so many people there. I prefer to deal with that however than Miami. The air is very polluted in California and it stinks especially if it doesnt rain and the beaches are not nearly as nice as Florida beaches. After saying that however I run out of positives about Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami