Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:53 PM

158 posts, read 647,207 times

Advertisements

Look blksophisticado, all I really want to say about this ridiculous statement is that you shouldnt make these statements first of all because thats mostly your opinion because I wouldnt want to live in L.A after being there. You cant find the latin charm you find in miami in l.a. The poor costumer service statement is also exaggerated, I could say the same about l.a, but i dont because theres also very good customer service in l.a just like in miami.
Miami is heavily industrialized the only true touristic area are the beaches and downtown area the rest is HEAVILY industrialized areas. And yea L.A is 10 times bigger but Miami is 10 times smaller and still very important and the whole south florida area is just as important, one of the busiest cargo ports in the world, busiest cruise port in the world, busiest cargo airport in the country, and the third biggest international airport (international passengers).
Miami has the tourist industry, it also has movie, t.v, music, real estate, and i hate to burst your bubble but it has some of the best hospitals and universities. And if you are asking where the factories in miami, that only shows how much you know, miami metro is full of them, Hialeah, Medley, Airport Area, western dade and basically parts of every other city in south florida have factories, take a ride down the palmetto. The only povert struck areas are probaly the northern parts of miami, the rest are like any neigborhood you would find in L.A. Corporate america is strong and steady in Miami, brickel, downtown, and western miami are packed with corporate offices and Miami is one of the busiest destinations for buisness in the world.
You just cant describe miami to L.A because of what you just said L.A is bigger but if you compare the metro, theres many areas where you wont find the crap you say that Miami is full of including places in Miami.
And guess what LL moved to miami, miami, miami.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:10 AM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times
miami's problem is that half the year its rich and the other half its impoverished.
the snowbirds come and enrich everything with money, theres lots of seasonal labor where they hire the snowbirds too.
you watch as driving improves as the pool of drivers from poor latin american countries are diluted, customer service improves as the hire people for the winter with manners and politeness from the midwest.

then it stops.

the humidity kicks in (bad for some people but i happen to enjoy it)
the snowbirds go away
suddenly you realize its only spanish being spoken around you
the number of psychotic drivers appears to increase as the better drivers go home
customer service declines as the pale white midwesterners return home and get replaced with blacks and latins with a "i couldnt care less" attitude.
you find yourself speaking alot less because you dont know the local language.

finally the worst comes. august, september, october
the heat is dead on full, what my parents refer to as "the death march"
because being outside for even a half hour is exhaustive. your AC runs continuously.
everyone who can gets the hell out of dodge, everyone who has a few pennies to rub together.
you are left to deal with the poorest of the poor drivers and customer service workers.
this is the part of the year that is the most intolerable.
and then the hurricanes come...

after the hurricanes, sometime in late october, it starts to cool off rapidly
sometime in december usually you notice a trickling of snowbirds coming in.
the wonderful polite white haired grandmotherly lady oozing of southern hospitality at the home depot.
you get excited in anticipation of the return of normalcy and the process repeats.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:01 PM

158 posts, read 647,207 times
You just sound plain depressed and none of the great things of this city happen to be experienced by you. And once again you EXAGGERATE EVERYTHING!

Old 04-30-2007, 03:40 PM

201 posts, read 983,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
miami's problem is that half the year its rich and the other half its impoverished.
the snowbirds come and enrich everything with money, theres lots of seasonal labor where they hire the snowbirds too.
you watch as driving improves as the pool of drivers from poor latin american countries are diluted, customer service improves as the hire people for the winter with manners and politeness from the midwest.

then it stops.

the humidity kicks in (bad for some people but i happen to enjoy it)
the snowbirds go away
suddenly you realize its only spanish being spoken around you
the number of psychotic drivers appears to increase as the better drivers go home
customer service declines as the pale white midwesterners return home and get replaced with blacks and latins with a "i couldnt care less" attitude.
you find yourself speaking alot less because you dont know the local language.

finally the worst comes. august, september, october
the heat is dead on full, what my parents refer to as "the death march"
because being outside for even a half hour is exhaustive. your AC runs continuously.
everyone who can gets the hell out of dodge, everyone who has a few pennies to rub together.
you are left to deal with the poorest of the poor drivers and customer service workers.
this is the part of the year that is the most intolerable.
and then the hurricanes come...

after the hurricanes, sometime in late october, it starts to cool off rapidly
sometime in december usually you notice a trickling of snowbirds coming in.
the wonderful polite white haired grandmotherly lady oozing of southern hospitality at the home depot.
you get excited in anticipation of the return of normalcy and the process repeats.
CIXel , again you need to move about 60 minutes north ... get outta Homestead and I don't mean move to Kendall , Hialeah , Carol City or Little Havana ...check out areas in West Broward just North of Pembroke Pines ... i.e. Weston , Davie , Plantation , Coral Springs or East Broward near Hollywood , or Hallandale Beach , parts of Ft.Lauderdale ( Victoria Park ) is super nice and rents are coming down !!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:12 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,074 times
I'm not sure why people like Cixel (or better yet why they came in the first place) stay in Miami if they dislike it so much--it's like you and a couple of others feed on negativity. Maybe if you got off this board for awhile and went out and did something you wouldn't be so miserable.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:42 PM

we go to the keys as often as we can to stay sane

INeedAChange, maybe its easy for you to move but id have to move a house full of furniture we've inherited and wont part with due to sentimental reasons plus probably get another job which isnt easy being in the tech profession. asking why someone cant just move is naive.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I can't see any reason to move to either LA or Miami when more suitable areas still exist.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:28 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,074 times
Default i'm just getting the impression

that you live to complain about miami...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
we go to the keys as often as we can to stay sane

INeedAChange, maybe its easy for you to move but id have to move a house full of furniture we've inherited and wont part with due to sentimental reasons plus probably get another job which isnt easy being in the tech profession. asking why someone cant just move is naive.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:31 PM

159 posts, read 803,925 times
Well, I'm a bit biased, but I'm a 100% confident I'd chose Miami over LA. I've been to LA, I have family in LA, and it's a nice place to visit, but it just seemed like everywhere I went, I was in the ghetto. I know you can say the same for Miami, and I'll be the first to tell you Miami is a huge ghetto, but I found LA to be a bit more trashy.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:13 PM

ineedachange, well, you can think that all you want but until i move somewhere nicer im not relenting. its venting for my own sanity and i want to warn others not to make the same mistake. i meet people everyday here who cant wait to move somewhere else. if it were just me you could say that but there are LOTS of people who dislike this place and want out and i meet new ones all the time. and then there are the people who either have a vested interest in getting people to move here (realestate agents) or who are in denial that they made the wrong decision moving here and fight anyone who says anything negative about the place.

dro420, how?
redondo beach, manhattan beach, hermosa beach, laguna hills, aliso viejo, torrance, palos verdes, santa monica, thousand oaks, valencia, west la, etc
i used to go to all these places frequently and never felt like i was in the ghetto. here you either have to have alot of money to pay your way into a good area or live in a neighborhood where most people dont speak english.
how could LA be more trashy than HERE?
honestly you could have a better quality of life in LA as a fast food worker with roommates than living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami