Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 05:29 PM

44 posts, read 120,498 times

Advertisements

the only thing i am worried about is the hurricanes, snake and gators.

I was told that it is common to walk out to your car and see a gator in the parking lot or driveway.

I was also told that it is common to get a snake in the house.

Also, is hurricane season really bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 05:37 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
I was told that it is common to walk out to your car and see a gator in the parking lot or driveway. With a few exceptions that shouldn't be a problem. Some homes do have alligator problems, (some specific areas adjacent to canals, but not all) It depends mainly on the area. It is rather rare. I have never seen one.

I was also told that it is common to get a snake in the house. Same there. I have never seen one.

Also, is hurricane season really bad? Yes it is. It's a pain if a hurricane hits your area. You could be without power for weeks.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100percent View Post
the only thing i am worried about is the hurricanes, snake and gators.

I was told that it is common to walk out to your car and see a gator in the parking lot or driveway.

I was also told that it is common to get a snake in the house.

Also, is hurricane season really bad?
The last thing I am worried about living in Miami are gators. I have seen many, even seen them 20 feet away from me while I was on a canoe but this was all in the swamp lands. I have never seen a gator near a residential area. Do they get there sometimes? Yes of course there are a lot of canals. The farther west you go the more bug, gator, snake problems you will have but even then its not a real problem. Gators are more afraid of people than people are of them anyway. If you live in the city, not on the water, it wont be a problem at all.

As for snakes I have seen a few in my backyard along with many other types of reptiles, birds and even some Foxes. I dont mind the mother nature part of Miami it makes it interesting. I have never seen a Coral Snake or Rattle snake, again poisonous snake problems are more west towards the border of the everglades. Miami-Dade Fire does have one of the best anti-venom programs in the world though.

As for hurricanes yea they can be a pain, most of the time the worst that happens is some minor damage, and the power can be out for a while a day or maybe a week. Of course wind insurance is a pain to pay but it is something you have to do. The big storms are the problems they are rare but they do hit. Miami is a bit more prepared to handle hurricanes than other cities in the US though, if you live in a well made house inland than you wont have to worry about much other than getting hurricane shutter and power outage, if you live by the water than you might have to evacuate depending on how strong the storm is. But most of the time you get days notice.

If Gators, Hurricanes and snakes is what your worried about the most than you have no worries enjoy Miami.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:16 PM

44 posts, read 120,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
The last thing I am worried about living in Miami are gators. I have seen many, even seen them 20 feet away from me while I was on a canoe but this was all in the swamp lands. I have never seen a gator near a residential area. Do they get there sometimes? Yes of course there are a lot of canals. The farther west you go the more bug, gator, snake problems you will have but even then its not a real problem. Gators are more afraid of people than people are of them anyway. If you live in the city, not on the water, it wont be a problem at all.

As for snakes I have seen a few in my backyard along with many other types of reptiles, birds and even some Foxes. I dont mind the mother nature part of Miami it makes it interesting. I have never seen a Coral Snake or Rattle snake, again poisonous snake problems are more west towards the border of the everglades. Miami-Dade Fire does have one of the best anti-venom programs in the world though.

As for hurricanes yea they can be a pain, most of the time the worst that happens is some minor damage, and the power can be out for a while a day or maybe a week. Of course wind insurance is a pain to pay but it is something you have to do. The big storms are the problems they are rare but they do hit. Miami is a bit more prepared to handle hurricanes than other cities in the US though, if you live in a well made house inland than you wont have to worry about much other than getting hurricane shutter and power outage, if you live by the water than you might have to evacuate depending on how strong the storm is. But most of the time you get days notice.

If Gators, Hurricanes and snakes is what your worried about the most than you have no worries enjoy Miami.
Thank you very much!

Old 08-08-2009, 08:57 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,054,754 times
The more west you live near the everglades in newer construction homes...the more snakes are. The further east you go, less snakes....at least that has been my experience. AND yes...Hurricane season can be AWFUL if it's a busy one. Having NO POWER for several days in nearly 100% humid weather is horrible. Ask people, like myself, who lived south of Kendal when Hurricane Andrew stuck how horrible it was to be without power for 2 weeks and here generators 24/7.

Last edited by heydade; 08-08-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 12:31 AM

259 posts, read 840,978 times
Those 3 things should be the least of your worries in Miami...

Old 08-17-2009, 11:03 PM

4 posts, read 9,909 times
No worries here in Miami! Just make sure you dont drive through Hialeah...
What part of Miami are you moving to and did you find anything yet?

Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 AM

888 posts, read 887,077 times
Why would you leave STL?
I have a very good friend that just moved into a beautiful loft - 1600 sqft, 18' ceilings, downtown, built in 1890 gorgeous woodfloors, and paying the same amount of rent as in her small quaint 900 Euclid apartment in SOBE. She has 2 nice grocery stores, plus bars and restaurants within walking distance. She also walks to work (she's a lawyer).
STL is a bargain compared to Miami, arguably has less cultural clique and more jobs than Miami.
If I were you I'd stay there! The Hispanic population is increasing a lot there, so that means better food, many pretty women, and the Bosnian population adds some spice (the girls are hot). Cherokee is a pretty cool hood, and I've met some gorgeous Eastern European women there (mostly Russian and Ukranian).
Yeah, the Mississippi River sucks. but you are an hour from the tranquility and nationally-preserved parklands of the Ozarks, plus you've got an amazing bike trail system - and a couple of great universities.
Here we are crowded. Most Gringos from the north don't stay more than 1-3 years. If you speak Spanish, it will be a huge plus. If not, you may feel marginalized.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:34 AM

36 posts, read 100,138 times
I can understand why he would want to leave STL. I visited Miami last March and I live in STL now. Theres not much life for a single guy here...its just a totally different atmosphere here. Plus I'm from the east coast so living in the midwest has been hard since I have spent my summer on the sand the last 5 years.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:06 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,870,471 times
lol who ever told you all that stuff is so wrong. ive lived by a canal all my life, never had a snake in my home or alligator in my yard. you have to worry more about gangs of stray dogs and people throwing chickens at you more than anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami