Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:14 AM

888 posts, read 886,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrDE View Post
I can understand why he would want to leave STL. I visited Miami last March and I live in STL now. Theres not much life for a single guy here...its just a totally different atmosphere here. Plus I'm from the east coast so living in the midwest has been hard since I have spent my summer on the sand the last 5 years.
Could you explain a little more/be more specific about what you don't like about the single guy life in STL?

A lot of people see the extremely inexpensive/affordable cost of housing there, its historical significance, and we wonder sometimes why it's so cheap to live there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 01:04 PM

36 posts, read 100,110 times
The hosuing is cheap definitly. The thing is though there is no significant downtown area. You may walk a block or two that is amazing with a theatre and high rises and the next thing you know its a boarding up building and crack heads everywhere. St. Louis the city is not much to get excited about. The city basically consumes the whole St. Louis county meaning things are all far apart. People are spread out all around. You cant walk from neighboorhood to neighborhood. There also seems to be no sort of real cultural identity here besides the love of Caridnal baseball. I dont really know about the historical significance. There is Forrest Park, the arch, and thats about it for history. As far as being single I am more of a club kind of guy. The few nights I was in Miami I went to Mansion and loved it. St. Louis is more dive bars and piano jazz bar type places. Maybe someone can correct me but I havent found anything else really. Also, there are a lot of beautiful women but most that I have met are looking for serious long term commitment off the bat. Its just a more conservative midwest type of attitude Im not really used too. Alright im done ranting but yes it is cheap to live here

Last edited by jasonrDE; 08-19-2009 at 01:38 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 04:57 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100percent View Post
the only thing i am worried about is the hurricanes, snake and gators.

I was told that it is common to walk out to your car and see a gator in the parking lot or driveway.

I was also told that it is common to get a snake in the house.

Also, is hurricane season really bad?
Hurricanes, snakes and gators should be the least of your worries.

Crime, a lack of English (funny how they always go hand in hand) as well as what I call "daily grind syndrome" which is much worse in Miami than in other cities (including Chicago). You'll have to throw your notions of order and decency out the window even when you go to the store to buy milk.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,774 times
Don't worry about the lack of English. I've lived in Miami (Hialeah) my whole life (I'm 22), I don't speak Spanish, and I've gotten along just fine.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:42 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Hurricanes? The last one that hit here was Wilma in 1995 and that was hardly a big deal. What's more of a pain in the a-% is not having power for a few days after the event.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheSilence View Post
Hurricanes? The last one that hit here was Wilma in 1995 and that was hardly a big deal. What's more of a pain in the a-% is not having power for a few days after the event.
Wilma was 2005, so was Katrina. Some of us had roof damage you know(like me with Katrina), and Andrew was in 1992 but it was horrible, this city looked like a wasteland, so don't underestimate them. I suggest that everybody evacuates for anything above category 3. You can die.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:46 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrDE View Post
The hosuing is cheap definitly. The thing is though there is no significant downtown area. You may walk a block or two that is amazing with a theatre and high rises and the next thing you know its a boarding up building and crack heads everywhere. St. Louis the city is not much to get excited about. The city basically consumes the whole St. Louis county meaning things are all far apart. People are spread out all around. You cant walk from neighboorhood to neighborhood. There also seems to be no sort of real cultural identity here besides the love of Caridnal baseball. I dont really know about the historical significance. There is Forrest Park, the arch, and thats about it for history. As far as being single I am more of a club kind of guy. The few nights I was in Miami I went to Mansion and loved it. St. Louis is more dive bars and piano jazz bar type places. Maybe someone can correct me but I havent found anything else really. Also, there are a lot of beautiful women but most that I have met are looking for serious long term commitment off the bat. Its just a more conservative midwest type of attitude Im not really used too. Alright im done ranting but yes it is cheap to live here

St. Louis has a nice downtown. No, it doesnt offer everything Miami does but it is generally pretty clean and walkable. It is also easy to get around.

If you go to Washington St. all the way down to the Landing, you will find several bars and clubs worth visiting. There are blocks upon blocks of places and I cant imagine there not being atleast one place for everyone regardless of what you like. I have been to a lot of those places and never been in a piano bar and very few places I would consider a dive.

As far as women, everytime I visit there I have atleast one friend of mine takes a women back to the hotel for a one night stand. Not sure if that is what you are looking for but I can assure you that not everyone is looking for a committment.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,793 times
Default worry about the people!

Don't worry about the animals unless they have two legs and are human! They will get you in Miami before the snakes & gators! Ruthless crooks down here!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,793 times
YOU are sooo right!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:17 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
lol who ever told you all that stuff is so wrong. ive lived by a canal all my life, never had a snake in my home or alligator in my yard. you have to worry more about gangs of stray dogs and people throwing chickens at you more than anything
Do you live in little Haiti ?

I have never seen "gangs" of stray dogs ( dogs are gangbangers too in Miami I guess ? ) or had a chicken thrown at me in Miami .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami