Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times

Advertisements

Tallrick

Just the same thing is happening in Havana's once luxurious residential areas that had very strict zoning laws in the past. Miramar, for example.

One family occupies a nice house, they subdivide it and call their family in the countryside. They raise chicken and pigs, they build awful illegal additions and they keep breeding, divorcing and subdividing the house until it becomes a "solar".

A "solar" is a former mansion transformed into a "project". Yes, hair saloons, manicurist, dentists, whatever. Then a "politico" drives around, falls in love with the house and kicks them all out to their town.

Yes, they cut trees and pour cement over the grass, transform garages into houses. But then, don't you have a City Hall there?

Old 05-10-2009, 10:23 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
A typical example. There was a tree there, long time ago.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:49 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
A typical example. There was a tree there, long time ago.
That even looks like a high-quality, historical building there. What a shame to be in such sad, sorry shape. You would never find such a place in a relatively new area like Miami. As for city hall, you cannot expect Carlos Alvarez to help with Team Metro abuse could you? Even his secretary is rude. The county likes to pick on the most helpless in what is refered to as "selective enforcement".

Old 05-10-2009, 11:21 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
You're correct that there is a "ghetto" mentality, but this is not particular to Miami. There are plenty of trashy, ghetto, obnoxious people in middle class suburbs in Southern California, Atlanta, North Carolina, metro NYC, etc. In my experience, these people make up only a small minority of Kendall's residents.
I'm not saying there aren't. Personally, I wouldn't live in Los Angeles either, but I might choose it over Miami, simply for the weather.

As for Kendall, I lived in West Kendall for 2 years and that was my experience of the place. Aside from a few exceptions, people were generally pretty "ghetto" to me. While it's by no means ugly or poor, it is not my favorite part of Miami.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:22 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
That even looks like a high-quality, historical building there. What a shame to be in such sad, sorry shape. You would never find such a place in a relatively new area like Miami. As for city hall, you cannot expect Carlos Alvarez to help with Team Metro abuse could you? Even his secretary is rude. The county likes to pick on the most helpless in what is refered to as "selective enforcement".
I agree - that's a beautiful old building. Did Miami ever have buildings like that? The city hall in Coral Gables looks fairly old (by Miami standards), but there isn't much here over 30 years old.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:34 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
You're correct that there is a "ghetto" mentality, but this is not particular to Miami. There are plenty of trashy, ghetto, obnoxious people in middle class suburbs in Southern California, Atlanta, North Carolina, metro NYC, etc. In my experience, these people make up only a small minority of Kendall's residents.

Yes but this "small minority" of ghetto people living in Miami Dade's middle/lower middle class areas is much larger than in similar areas in other parts of the country. Just look at our radio stations, that will tell you about the demographics. Raggeton, Rap, Hippity-Hop and other jungle rhythm music dominates the airwaves in Miami. People in Kendall listen to the same crap as in Liberty City.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:18 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Yes but this "small minority" of ghetto people living in Miami Dade's middle/lower middle class areas is much larger than in similar areas in other parts of the country. Just look at our radio stations, that will tell you about the demographics. Raggeton, Rap, Hippity-Hop and other jungle rhythm music dominates the airwaves in Miami. People in Kendall listen to the same crap as in Liberty City.
The difference between the radio stations in Miami, New York, Boston, Seattle? Miami has more music in Spanish. That's honestly about it. WASP kids in Naperville, IL listen to rap too, nowadays. It's more of a young person thing/teenage thing. And honestly, the average person in Kendall doesn't listen to gansta rap and the average person in Liberty City sure as hell doesn't listen to salsa... I admit that there are plenty of wannabe thugs in Miami, but I really have been around and it just doesn't seem to be any worse in Miami than in most other places.

If you want to see ghetto Latins, please come to NYC. Brooklyn and the Bronx are packed with them.

Last edited by Marlin331; 05-10-2009 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 03:50 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Kids in high school either choose to go through emo stage or ghetto stage, either way you can't win.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Kids in high school either choose to go through emo stage or ghetto stage, either way you can't win.
Let me guess.... you were emo?

Old 05-10-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Tallrick

Just the same thing is happening in Havana's once luxurious residential areas that had very strict zoning laws in the past. Miramar, for example.

One family occupies a nice house, they subdivide it and call their family in the countryside. They raise chicken and pigs, they build awful illegal additions and they keep breeding, divorcing and subdividing the house until it becomes a "solar".

A "solar" is a former mansion transformed into a "project". Yes, hair saloons, manicurist, dentists, whatever. Then a "politico" drives around, falls in love with the house and kicks them all out to their town.

Yes, they cut trees and pour cement over the grass, transform garages into houses. But then, don't you have a City Hall there?
Wow... that is very sad to hear. And Vedado? If Miramar has gotten bad, I fear that Vedado is probably worse. What a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami