Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:12 PM

89 posts, read 1,048,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
There is actually new suburban construction going on in Goulds. Who would want to live all the way down there (and near a ghetto to boot)?

However, someone on here actually said that there's no "bad" areas of Dade... I guess that these pics are examples of some of the nice areas that poster was talking about?
Really? Maybe he/she should visit nw 64th st in liberty city and it's surrounding areas. I found it to be very deplorable. Some places prove that some of these "3rd world exaggerations" are not really exaggerations at all.

And I found the following slummish area in opa locka

I'm not at all bashing miami though. Areas like these don't make up all of dade county. I still think Miami is a great place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 12:51 AM

668 posts, read 2,357,827 times
Well I will say this, some ghettos in miami look years better than some ghetto's in Chicago (usually the African-American ones). However, others look years behind. The ghetto's that are mostly all houses with yards I would say don't look too bad at all, but other ghetto's I have seen in Miami that look identical to Jamaican neighborhoods and towns in Jamaica are terrible. My brother lives in Jamaica and I would literally at moments forget I was in the US and had to blink twice. Some areas seriously looked identical to Jamaica, it was crazy, like entire communities made out of one room square shacks built out of wood or tin sheets, people selling water bottles in the street at intersections, similiar looking decrepid bars and buildings that people would still actually hang out at, etc. On another note though, some ghettos in Miami though I know people in Chicago would kill to live in them, especially people who are living in Chicago's projects. These neighborhoods in Miami, comparitively speaking, really aren't that bad looking (usually the African-American neighborhoods) compared to other ghetto's and projects in bigger cities. But those Carribean ghetto's were awful, and barely liveable... lookin at some of em, I wonder if they even had running water or electricity- probably not.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:32 AM

300 posts, read 1,014,731 times
Oh yeah, that's where I live.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:26 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
I think the pictures make the areas look a little bit nicer than they are, but if you are actually I'm sure it looks a lot worse. If you want to get some really terrible looking areas, go in some of the back roads of Overtown.

I guess This video goes along with the thread NE 62

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ8TT1Qy0X4

Old 12-06-2008, 06:01 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
What? No nightime pics, thats no fun.
Well, it's also not very easy. To get good nighttime photos you need pretty good equipment and you need to be a pretty good photographer.

There's a reason that so many films still shoot "day for night", and it's not that they're sensitive about folks' schedules.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
However, someone on here actually said that there's no "bad" areas of Dade... I guess that these pics are examples of some of the nice areas that poster was talking about?
Are you asking if we're finding the areas in the photos aesthetically appealing?

I don't. At least not as the photos were taken, which isn't meant as a knock against ddrox08--I'm thinking more of the fact that I could find anything aesthetically appealing as a photograph if the photo is framed the right way, taken with the right lighting, etc. ddrox08 did a good job, I think, of giving an impression of what those neighborhoods are like aesthetically, on a broad scale, when one is driving or walking through them.

But "bad" usually refers to other things. We'd have to clarify what specifically we're asking about.

Even for rating the areas "to par", comparatively with other "ghetto" areas, I'd want to clarify what exactly we're supposed to be rating. "To par" in what respects in other words.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Dan View Post
One of the first things I noticed when I moved to Miami (actually freaking downtown Biscayne & 17th - talk about scary) that everywhere was concrete. It is like they tore out all the bushes and trees to pour concrete parking everywhere just as your photos show!

I don't not understand that...what an ugly city.
I'm not saying that this is why there is little foliage in the areas that you're thinking about, but in some parts of Florida, like my mom's neighborhood, If someone had seen it in 2006 after seeing it in 1996, say, and they didn't know anything about what happened in between those dates, they might say, "Woh--why did they tear out about 60% of the plants and trees?"

The answer is that they didn't. The hurricanes did.

And that's one reason that people sometimes don't plant a lot of stuff in Florida. It can be expensive to buy trees and plants, it can be a lot of work to maintain them, and for half of every year, a hurricane can come through at any time and rip them all out anyway--or at least give you a whole bunch more stuff to clean up afterwards.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrox08 View Post
Really? Maybe he/she should visit nw 64th st in liberty city and it's surrounding areas. I found it to be very deplorable. Some places prove that some of these "3rd world exaggerations" are not really exaggerations at all.
On the other hand, "deplorable" is not at all my reaction, either. I seriously thought you were showing photos to show that it's nothing like people were making it out to be--until I read your "deplorable" comment there.

On the other hand, I like the Bahamas (although I wouldn't choose to live there, but because there are places like the Bahamas that have mountains and have much more going on culturally, like Puerto Rico, which is someplace I'd gladly move on a moment's notice), I like Mexico, I like India, I like the Philippines, I like Brazil, I like a lot of African countries--I've traveled around all of those places and then some (although I wouldn't live in many African countries, either, but there, primarily because of political problems) . . . so maybe I like third world countries.

There are some things in this post that I find attractive (and maybe I should look at the first set of pictures more closely, too). For example, that little pink house looks pretty cute to me. It wouldn't be my first choice for a place to live because it looks like it's probably pretty small, there's no garage, etc., but it's cute. There are houses in the old section of Royal Palm Beach that look a lot like that that I wish would be suitable for me (with space requiremente, etc.), because I like them, I like where they're located (like right across from Challenger Park, on the canal where you could put a canoe in, etc.).

I also find the graffiti aesthetically appealing. Whoever did it is skilled, and I'm a fan of graffiti done with skill (I'd just rather have more figural work and less writing).

Old 12-06-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
My brother lives in Jamaica and I would literally at moments forget I was in the US and had to blink twice. Some areas seriously looked identical to Jamaica, it was crazy,
Miami in general looks and feels far more like various areas of the Caribbean than like the rest of the US . . . Which is one of the things I really, really like about it. I like a lot of places in the Caribbean and wouldn't mind living in most of those places. (I worked on cruise ships as a musician and traveled all over the Caribbean.) It's not just ghetto areas, but even downtown and the upscale areas that resemble various places in the Caribbean.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:57 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
My curiosity got to me so I drove around Little Haiti and Liberty City, and truthfully it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I thought Overtown was in much worse condition. If you ask me some of those houses out there look pretty cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami