Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:07 PM

8 posts, read 46,533 times

Advertisements

I am heading down to Miami to catch a cruise in mid-december. However, I am thinking of taking a Metro Dade bus to a Metrorail station, which from there I am planning on taking the Metrorail to the Overton or Gov't Center stations. I want to do some sightseeing, ride the Metromover, and visit Bayside Marketplace before I set sail. I have about 8 hours of free time before the ship departs.

First off, I'd like to know is it safe to walk from the Metrorail station with a wheeled luggage to the port to catch my ship? I heard from some people that its not advised to walk from the downtown to the ship because it maybe dangerous, is this true? Also, is it possible to walk from downtown to the port, is there a sidewalk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 10:10 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-intuition View Post
I am heading down to Miami to catch a cruise in mid-december. However, I am thinking of taking a Metro Dade bus to a Metrorail station, which from there I am planning on taking the Metrorail to the Overton or Gov't Center stations. I want to do some sightseeing, ride the Metromover, and visit Bayside Marketplace before I set sail. I have about 8 hours of free time before the ship departs.

First off, I'd like to know is it safe to walk from the Metrorail station with a wheeled luggage to the port to catch my ship? I heard from some people that its not advised to walk from the downtown to the ship because it maybe dangerous, is this true? Also, is it possible to walk from downtown to the port, is there a sidewalk?
Take a cab, it shouldn't be more than 5 minutes or $10, and you won't have to fight any bums.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:19 PM

259 posts, read 840,508 times
Quote:

I wouldn't do it. But then again, that's just me. I agree. Take a cab.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:53 PM

8 posts, read 46,533 times
So is it okay to take the Metrorail to downtown. Then near the Metrorail station take a taxi to the port?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:02 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
Quote:
So is it okay to take the Metrorail to downtown. Then near the Metrorail station take a taxi to the port?
Yes, it's safe to take the metrorail downtown, but I would not get off at the Overtown station as you mention in your OP. Get off at Government center and you'll be very close to the main library, Historical Museum of South FL and Miami Art Museum for a little sight seeing.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:25 AM

710 posts, read 2,233,399 times
Aren't you going to have bags?

Keep in mind that you are probably leaving on a Saturday, downtown is pretty dead on Saturdays.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:12 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,304 times
It is not safe, specially with luggage. Think about it, when a thief see a person INSIDE a car, holding a map or GPS, he knows that's easy pray. Imagine what he will think if you are WALKING with luggage in his neighbourhood. Take a taxi, don't risk your life.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:38 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,591 times
The problem is not really the area, I would think the walk from downtown over onto the bridge and onto the Port of Miami Island is a heck of a walk not made for pedestrians.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:51 AM

29 posts, read 98,478 times
Quote:
Imagine what he will think if you are WALKING with luggage in his neighbourhood
I'm white and dress just like any other dude. I can imagine. It's not the walking with that lucrative luggage but bad attitude, bias toward poor neighborhoods and it's residents. People read that weakness/bias/fear from your face and might use it against you. Doesnt happen when you're down with the people and respect them.
Ironic ain't it that I've never had a real problem in Overtown where I used to live and areas around it, such as Wynwood which isn't an upscale neighborhood either.

The only time I got into an argument with someone in Overtown was when I walked through the hood at night in county's blue jumpsuit carrying my belongings in a paper bag. Even then after a few words with the crack head folks around us immediately pulled the sober dude out of my way and made sure he would stay where he was.

There are so many people, homeless, dealers, regular junkies, lawyers, real estate people that just want to share thier thoughts and hear yours. Understanding how we're all the same ****, dealing with same issues in different circumstances in everydaylife makes it so much easier.

You can't be too naive though, some take advantage of that. It can be the guy next door, a typical hustler, your real estate broker-white collar criminal, your boss, even your relative.

What's the conclusion? I think I've said it a few times in this post already.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:42 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,130 times
Quote:

I haven't actually been on Dodge Island (where the port is) for quite a while--I used to work on ships out of there as a musician--but unless it's changed a lot, I wouldn't recommend it. Not because it isn't safe--rather because that's a heck of a long walk to where you've got to board the cruise ships, and I'm not sure if there's a reasonable sidewalk (especially trying to lug along a suitcase) for the whole length. As others have recommended, take a cab instead. It's only going to be a few bucks. You don't want to be all tired and sweaty when you board the ship. There's got to be someplace with a locker where you could put your suitcase downtown (someone else should know where), do your sightseeing, then pick it up and get a cab to the ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: