Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:55 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times

Advertisements

I think you can check in at the cruise line at 11am. So if I were you I would go to the port first (take the metrorail to the Gov't Center station there switch over to the Metro Mover which is free, and take it to Bayside, walk over to the taxi stand outside Bayside, then go to the port) I think you can pull up and just give the porters outside your luggage with all the tags attached. Then come back later and go through the check in process. This way you don't have your luggage to deal with. Take that cab, to South Beach, walk around there. Don't waste your time at Bayside its a tourist trap basically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-intuition View Post
I am heading down to Miami to catch a cruise in mid-december. However, I am thinking of taking a Metro Dade bus to a Metrorail station, which from there I am planning on taking the Metrorail to the Overton or Gov't Center stations. I want to do some sightseeing, ride the Metromover, and visit Bayside Marketplace before I set sail. I have about 8 hours of free time before the ship departs.

First off, I'd like to know is it safe to walk from the Metrorail station with a wheeled luggage to the port to catch my ship? I heard from some people that its not advised to walk from the downtown to the ship because it maybe dangerous, is this true? Also, is it possible to walk from downtown to the port, is there a sidewalk?

I agree walking over the bridge would be exhausting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
The problem is not really the area, I would think the walk from downtown over onto the bridge and onto the Port of Miami Island is a heck of a walk not made for pedestrians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 12:53 AM

8 posts, read 46,538 times
I am planning on taking the 110 bus from the airport to the Allapattah Metrorail station and ride it to the Gov't Center station. I was thinking of going to the Miami Art Museum next to that stop. After I am finished with the art museum I am planning on taking the Metromover to Bayside and walk to Bay Front Park and Bayside Marketplace. Then from Marketplace take a short taxi ride to the cruise ship. I am planning on only spending 3 hours in Miami sightseeing another 1 hour or so riding Metro from the airport. Would these areas be safe to walk around on a Sunday with a small rolling luggage? Would it be safe to ride the Metrobus and Metrorail?

Old 11-21-2008, 04:47 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-intuition View Post
I am planning on taking the 110 bus from the airport to the Allapattah Metrorail station and ride it to the Gov't Center station. I was thinking of going to the Miami Art Museum next to that stop. After I am finished with the art museum I am planning on taking the Metromover to Bayside and walk to Bay Front Park and Bayside Marketplace. Then from Marketplace take a short taxi ride to the cruise ship. I am planning on only spending 3 hours in Miami sightseeing another 1 hour or so riding Metro from the airport. Would these areas be safe to walk around on a Sunday with a small rolling luggage? Would it be safe to ride the Metrobus and Metrorail?
Yes, there is probably a 99.99 . . . % chance that you will be safe. Contrary to popular belief (or is it just popular belief on City-Data?), there are not thugs waiting around every corner to jump on you. No place in the world is like that. Unless you engage in risky activities (such as drug trafficking, gang activities, hanging out near the front lines of a war, p'ing off a psycho spouse, etc.), you have a 99.99 . . . % chance of being safe everywhere in the world, and there is no place in the world where you have a 0% chance of being a crime victim.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:37 PM

300 posts, read 1,014,935 times
Its safe, take a gun with you.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:55 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
My concern would walking down port blvd over the bridge. As I remember there is no sidewalk and the railing is vehicle height so anyone could easily fall off if not careful. For some strange reason no metrobus route goes there, and of course no metrorail or metromover is within a mile of the place. Perhaps the taxi drivers made a deal with metro-dade county so they can continue to rob the tourists for that short car ride.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
I see people walking around South Beach all the time with luggage. In fact, I see it so much that I typically wonder why so many people are doing it. Perhaps they are all waiting to get on a cruise ship. :-)

Old 11-23-2008, 06:23 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I see people walking around South Beach all the time with luggage. In fact, I see it so much that I typically wonder why so many people are doing it. Perhaps they are all waiting to get on a cruise ship. :-)
lol--maybe it's just the new South Beach fashion statement. Is it mostly Ed Hardy luggage?

Old 11-23-2008, 06:41 AM

727 posts, read 1,836,875 times
Probably only the best in fine luggage apparel, it is of course, Miami. Everyone has tons of money.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:02 PM

8 posts, read 46,538 times
My cruise to the Western Caribbean is this Sunday. I am still planning on taking the Metrobus to Metrorail downtown and then switch over the the People Mover.

They say I have to be on board and check in at the ship by 1pm, so this pretty much doesn't give me time for sightseeing at South Beach or downtown. The ship will leave the port at 4pm. However, I am wondering if the taxi stand at Bayside will have taxis waiting there on a Sunday. Also, will there be plenty of taxis along Biscayne Blvd or in that general vicinity on Sundays? I just don't want to miss my boat!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:48 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Seriously, it is probably not worth it.

Yes, you should be able to find a taxi no problem.

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: