Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:02 AM

83 posts, read 326,320 times

Advertisements

Long, but worth reading if your thinking of relocating here.

SOUTH MIAMI-DADE, Fla. (WSVN) -- Police have arrested all but one of the suspects who were involved in a robbery that turned deadly at a bus stop.

Moderator cut: copyright material

http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI38249/

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 01-25-2007 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Copyright material; please post URLs instead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 09:21 AM

93 posts, read 330,126 times
That's the first thing I heard when I woke up this morning. It's every morning I hear about a murder or a shooting that happened overnight. This particular incident disgusts me, and I hope they have fun with their new roomate big bertha. It's senseless crimes like this, that I always here about more and more. Don't take this as being racist, but I always had this question when I moved here... how come everytime I see a middle school or highschool on the news, it's full of black/hispanic children that act like rap artists or gangsters? I didn't grow up here, so I wouldn't know. I'm just curious to know if the public schools are dominated by minorities because even "rich white" children who attend public schools seem to come out thinking they are gangsters and living a hardcore life as well.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:50 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,140,723 times
This is the ghettoization of Miami. It is a mentality and life style that predominates across the whole community. The gangsta life is idealized by all races, most students emmulate it in the public schools. Since most of the students in DCPS are living in poverty, they are exposed to the glorification of violence and easy money.

This incident is one more drop in the bucket of disgust. The sadder thing is is that there is no community outrage. People will just accept this as "living in a big city." I think in other big cities there would be more outrage and abhore. Certainly if these viscious attacks and murders amongst teens was as common as it is here. Let's not forget the multiple Carol City HS students who have been gunned down since the beginning of the school year either.

In any event, these senseless and barbaric, scary crimes are a part of life in Miami. I think we are all slightly numbed by the violence here. If you move here, you will hear more about these types of incidents, unless you live in the famous ivory towers or cocooned world of the rich.

I guess this doesnt matter though, since we have warm weather and the beach, and crime happens "everywhere". Right?

Old 01-25-2007, 11:29 AM

83 posts, read 326,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
This is the ghettoization of Miami. It is a mentality and life style that predominates across the whole community. The gangsta life is idealized by all races, most students emmulate it in the public schools. Since most of the students in DCPS are living in poverty, they are exposed to the glorification of violence and easy money.

This incident is one more drop in the bucket of disgust. The sadder thing is is that there is no community outrage. People will just accept this as "living in a big city." I think in other big cities there would be more outrage and abhore. Certainly if these viscious attacks and murders amongst teens was as common as it is here. Let's not forget the multiple Carol City HS students who have been gunned down since the beginning of the school year either.

In any event, these senseless and barbaric, scary crimes are a part of life in Miami. I think we are all slightly numbed by the violence here. If you move here, you will hear more about these types of incidents, unless you live in the famous ivory towers or cocooned world of the rich.

I guess this doesnt matter though, since we have warm weather and the beach, and crime happens "everywhere". Right?
It is very sad what is happening to the children in the Carol City area. The HS student killed was from a good family, last year in HS and his next goal was a collage education. His family could not afford to leave the area. I know some good people in the area of Carol City with some good family values. The kids attend the school where my oldest graduated from, they have to drive a few miles for good schools. Unfortunately, there are still many bad people in the area. All races commit crime. Recently, there was a stabbing in North or South Carolina a few weeks back. A 13 year old boy was at a friends house playing on his trampoline and he started to stab his friend several times. Not sure what is going on here. I hate to use race in anything, (my parents never used race words, genders etc. I'd like to say people are doing the crime, not a race. I agree with you on that there is probably a race that's doing more crime than another. Some people abduct children and kill them (we all know what race that is), and some kill for money,(we all know what race that is) while others deal drugs and rape and they do organize crime while there is still the KKK etc.... the list goes on. It's not about race, it's about people that have no moral skills, standards, values or conscious. Hey, I rather be cold with a dozen sweaters than in a place like Florida with beautiful weather -because I have to remind myself every time I walk out my door "today may be my last day, live it to your fullest, cuz you never know! (and this is in a very nice area....)

Old 01-25-2007, 01:36 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,471,332 times
I don't watch the local news anymore, because it is almost all negative.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:18 PM

929 posts, read 1,159,232 times
doggiebus, agreed. especially news on the economy would make me completely depressed.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,234 times
Default Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW2007 View Post
That's the first thing I heard when I woke up this morning. It's every morning I hear about a murder or a shooting that happened overnight. This particular incident disgusts me, and I hope they have fun with their new roomate big bertha. It's senseless crimes like this, that I always here about more and more. Don't take this as being racist, but I always had this question when I moved here... how come everytime I see a middle school or highschool on the news, it's full of black/hispanic children that act like rap artists or gangsters? I didn't grow up here, so I wouldn't know. I'm just curious to know if the public schools are dominated by minorities because even "rich white" children who attend public schools seem to come out thinking they are gangsters and living a hardcore life as well.
I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT THERE IS A CLOSE LINK BETWEEN HIP HOP, RAP, OR THAT OTHER STUFF THAT THEY CALLED MUSIC (REGETON) AND THE HIGH CRIME IN OUR YOUTH AND MANY OTHERS THAT ARE SO OBSESSED WITH THAT CULTURE. ITS ALL ABOUT CRIMES, ABUSING OR DEGRADING WOMEN, SEX, POWER, GANGS

Old 01-26-2007, 05:39 AM

929 posts, read 1,159,232 times
educated cuban, oh im sure youre right. it glorifies all bad elements of society. thats why i hate when black people consider that "culture" or that youre not black if you reject that lifestyle.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:09 AM

Just an update: They caught all four kids. And the step-mother of the two brothers involved stated that they should have a second chance! She says they are too young and it's wrong to snatch their life away in a second!

Guess what!? **** and realize that the innocent man at the bus stop doesn't get a second chance. Those kids need life in jail with big bertha...I shouldn't call them kids since they are 14-17, now-a-days 14 year olds act and think like adults. I'm just pissed at the mothers reaction (instead of feeling sorry for the man who was MURDERED, she insists they are only kids.)

Old 01-26-2007, 07:29 AM

As a teen, I was in a breakdance crew, we had our emcees, dj's, breakers, taggers (graffitti artists), etc. We listened to old-school and modern hip-hop, broke some laws, whatever. I wouldn't say RAP or HIPHOP is directly to blame. The children these days don't seem to be able distinguish between reality and fantasy. They have to understand most of the rappers haven't done what they rap about, and that it's for entertainment (just like wrestling). I even heard rappers like fat joe and tupac admitting that they are acting for entertainment rather than rapping about their real life. For instance, tupac was a DRAMA student in school and a poet, but if you listen to his music, it seems he is straight out of compton. I agree that crime is glamorized in the hiphop culture, however there is another link before that, where the kid is lacking something in his/her life and fills the void by living in a fantasy world where crime is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami