Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:02 PM

100 posts, read 502,958 times

Advertisements

As customary, my question mainly goes to the older native Miamians on the board. I was curious if anyone had any recollections/ information on the old Miami Magic store in the little strip mall on SW 40th Street (Bird Road) and SW 97th Avenue. I know it was a mainstay in that neighborhood for about 30 years, yet it is now gone. I last saw it in 2002, around the same time the Herald did a story on it.

I know it had the same owner for a long time. I was wondering if anyone knew when it closed, had any personal experiences at the store, etc. It was a great quirky place, the kind that don't seem to exist anymore in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 02:02 PM

546 posts, read 2,146,949 times
I remember that place, across the street from the Jet's Florida Outdoors. On the west side of 97 Ave, I used to cut my hair at the barber shop in the same strip mall.
Wasn't it called "La casa de los trucos"? There was also a small motorcycle shop in the same strip mall...

Old 06-12-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
I remember that place, across the street from the Jet's Florida Outdoors. On the west side of 97 Ave, I used to cut my hair at the barber shop in the same strip mall.
Wasn't it called "La casa de los trucos"? There was also a small motorcycle shop in the same strip mall...
No, it was called Miami Magic. The "Case De Los Trucos" is a novelty store that's been in existence probably just as long, and is still in operation at SW. 8th Street and about SW 20th Avenue more or less. You're right about the rest of your recollection though. Not sure about the motorcycle place now, but the barber shop is still there, it's quite a "factory" with like 5 or 6 barbers and a ton of people there all at one time.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:43 PM

546 posts, read 2,146,949 times
Yeah, ok...there was also a little cafeteria right next to the barber shop. The motorcycle place used to be called "Superbikes". The gas station used to be an Exxon back in the day now it's a mom and pop operation. Yeah, the barber shop was always packed, I used to have to wait like 2 hrs to get my hair cut. It's because so cheap to get it cut there, back in the day it cost 5 bucks.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:54 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,841 times
The owner's son was a crack head. He broke in to the place a bunch of times. I assume that the owner finally close shop and moved away. (very smart for those that are miserable)

Old 06-13-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
The owner's son was a crack head. He broke in to the place a bunch of times. I assume that the owner finally close shop and moved away. (very smart for those that are miserable)
Vice, thank you for the information. Two questions, I was curious as to how you knew about this and second, are you referring to the original owner or the second one? I distinctly recall reading in that old Herald article that the original owner had sold but still lived nearby and dropped in for visits quite often.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:16 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,841 times
I worked in that area from 1997 to 2004. I'm not sure who the owner was, but I do remember the place being burglarized during the midnight shift on several occasions. I recall another officer advising that the son was arrested for the burglaries, and that he was a crack head. I don't think that it is a magic store any longer. The next time that I'm in the area, I'll check it out for you.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I worked in that area from 1997 to 2004. I'm not sure who the owner was, but I do remember the place being burglarized during the midnight shift on several occasions. I recall another officer advising that the son was arrested for the burglaries, and that he was a crack head. I don't think that it is a magic store any longer. The next time that I'm in the area, I'll check it out for you.
Vice, thanks for the follow-up response and no, it's not there any longer, there's some sort of medical equipment distributor there now.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 8,440 times
Default I know were the knew one is at!

maybe people dont know this but i just came back from the miami magic and joke shop from buying the D lites for half the price from the magic shop at bayside .the reason its not there anymore is because he moved the store to his house witich is in the same area the resean for this was because hes rent went high and coldent afored it so know his at hes house hes open from 11:00 - 5:00.google miami magic shops and look for on the top were it shows all the places and directions miami magic and joke shop.call first because he might not always be open since its at his house hes also at dave and busters fridays and saturday at night he told me so go cheack it out.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:11 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,530 times
I think I went to kindergarten on the corner of 97th and bird. Olympia heights methodist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: