Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 11:44 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
what about the Underline?....10 miles....120 areas

https://www.miamiandbeaches.com/l/at...%20destination.
Underline is fantastic and a good start, but not enough. I walk that path daily, but I still have a vision of wanting more and better integration and an urban realm.

But I also need to calm down, last thing I want to do is work again after retiring lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 05:21 PM

17,118 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Underline is fantastic and a good start, but not enough. I walk that path daily, but I still have a vision of wanting more and better integration and an urban realm.

But I also need to calm down, last thing I want to do is work again after retiring lol.
The giant highways jutting overhead through downtown/the core is one of the main things that kills integration. It's not just Miami -- Tampa and Orlando also suffer from this.
Stuff like this is just awful:

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7661...8192?entry=ttu

I wish it were more like Atlanta, with the Connector running UNDER the crossroads. Makes for a much more pedestrian-friendly environment, and creates less of a disconnect between both sides. It's not perfect, but it's a step above:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7661...8192?entry=ttu

Seattle too:

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6088...8192?entry=ttu

Maybe one day, but I doubt it.

Old 02-09-2024, 09:24 PM

836 posts, read 850,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I wish it were more like Atlanta, with the Connector running UNDER the crossroads. Makes for a much more pedestrian-friendly environment, and creates less of a disconnect between both sides. It's not perfect, but it's a step above:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7661...8192?entry=ttu
The Connector cannot be below ground due to the entire region being built above an aquifer, and as a result, the Metrorail, the Metromover, most rail lines such as the Tri Rail and the Brightline and the numerous expressways are aboveground as a result of Miami/South FL's lower elevations.

Old 02-10-2024, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
The Connector cannot be below ground due to the entire region being built above an aquifer, and as a result, the Metrorail, the Metromover, most rail lines such as the Tri Rail and the Brightline and the numerous expressways are aboveground as a result of Miami/South FL's lower elevations.
As there is literally a tunnel (and more planned) running under the bay lol.

And I didn’t say UNDERGROUND. The connector in Atlanta doesn’t run underground.
And it has nothing to do with Miami’s elevations. It’s poor design, and it’s due to costs. Nothing more to it. Brightline pretty much just said screw it, we are privately funded, so we can do what we want. Municipalities and FDOT will have to fund the cost of elevating streets at rail crossings.

The overhead expressways cutting through downtown are just poor design, and a direct result of unexpected rapid growth. I can almost guarantee that gets torn down some time in the future and fully redesigned.

What makes you think a tunnel can’t run underground anyway? I’ll save you the trouble: you can, and the aquifer is barely an issue, if at all. Builders don’t like deep basements in Florida because the water table can create flooding issues. A tunnel isn’t a house. It doesn’t flood.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 02-10-2024 at 10:43 AM..

Old 02-12-2024, 08:29 AM

Quote:
As there is literally a tunnel (and more planned) running under the bay lol.

And I didn’t say UNDERGROUND. The connector in Atlanta doesn’t run underground.
And it has nothing to do with Miami’s elevations. It’s poor design, and it’s due to costs. Nothing more to it. Brightline pretty much just said screw it, we are privately funded, so we can do what we want. Municipalities and FDOT will have to fund the cost of elevating streets at rail crossings.

The overhead expressways cutting through downtown are just poor design, and a direct result of unexpected rapid growth. I can almost guarantee that gets torn down some time in the future and fully redesigned.

What makes you think a tunnel can’t run underground anyway? I’ll save you the trouble: you can, and the aquifer is barely an issue, if at all. Builders don’t like deep basements in Florida because the water table can create flooding issues. A tunnel isn’t a house. It doesn’t flood.
I believe that the Underdeck and the Underline are great ideas for Miami. Yes there's a few tunnels in the area, and it may have been better if the Metrorail was built underground, but I also believe that the Metrorail was built aboveground due to cost, Miami's climate, and to give the commuter a great view of the city of Miami.

The Dolphin Expwy is already planned to have an upper level and plans are already made to construct it as having such between Signature Bridge and LoanDepot Park. We all wish Miami can hav better, but the plans have been made. Personally, I'd love to see Miami Dade County place a Metrorail Line between FIU and Doral to Downtown via Dolphin Expwy, however I'm not sure what Miami Dade has any plans for such a line.

Old 02-12-2024, 11:51 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
That 33 acre park under the new double decker overpass is another example of hostile and horrible urban planning.

Something I would love to see downtown is to renovate that insanely absurd Biscayne Boulevard, what an attrocity that is. Too wide and that parking lot in between the streets is mind-numbing. Lanes should be reduced to 2 each direction with a large park in the middle, that will also act like a sponge and reduce flooding.

I proposed this in early 2000s working for the city and it was shot down, maybe it's time to reconsider. Plus downtown needs more trees and greenspace anyways, this will solve many issues.

Old 02-12-2024, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I believe that the Underdeck and the Underline are great ideas for Miami. Yes there's a few tunnels in the area, and it may have been better if the Metrorail was built underground, but I also believe that the Metrorail was built aboveground due to cost, Miami's climate, and to give the commuter a great view of the city of Miami.

The Dolphin Expwy is already planned to have an upper level and plans are already made to construct it as having such between Signature Bridge and LoanDepot Park. We all wish Miami can hav better, but the plans have been made. Personally, I'd love to see Miami Dade County place a Metrorail Line between FIU and Doral to Downtown via Dolphin Expwy, however I'm not sure what Miami Dade has any plans for such a line.
Metrorail is hardly an issue. It's the giant overhead highways and the ramps cutting through downtown.

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7722...8192?entry=ttu

You can't achieve a proper flowing core with seamless urban neighborhoods with these monstrosities in the middle of it. It doesn't work.

Quote:
That 33 acre park under the new double decker overpass is another example of hostile and horrible urban planning.

Something I would love to see downtown is to renovate that insanely absurd Biscayne Boulevard, what an attrocity that is. Too wide and that parking lot in between the streets is mind-numbing. Lanes should be reduced to 2 each direction with a large park in the middle, that will also act like a sponge and reduce flooding.

I proposed this in early 2000s working for the city and it was shot down, maybe it's time to reconsider. Plus downtown needs more trees and greenspace anyways, this will solve many issues.

I can't see this NOT being addressed in the near future. Just going to a Heat game, or trying to get to my favorite part of Miami -- Bayfront -- is a nightmare. Just destroy those southbound lanes, and keep it a one-way northbound avenue like how it starts off at the Southern tip, up to the MacArthur. 2nd already serves as the Southbound speedthru here.

Old 02-13-2024, 03:47 PM

Quote:

I'm willing to giving the Underdeck a chance only because I've never seen such a project of this magnitude anywhere. Hopefully, it's a success. The Connector isn't going to go anywhere anytime soon. A lot wish the Connector was buried, but topography plus the fact that Miami is very close to water is the reason why it wasn't constructed below ground. Plus being connected to the causeway makes it unnecessary to construct it below ground.

Personally, Biscayne Blvd could've used a Metrorail ROW, which would've made it perfect. even with the Signature Bridge being erected, there's still ways to deviate from the bridge and back onto Biscayne further north into Edgewater, Upper East Side, etc., but mass transit really needs to be prioritized if Miami is going to be upgraded to the next level of world class cities!

Quote:
Metrorail is hardly an issue. It's the giant overhead highways and the ramps cutting through downtown.

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7722...8192?entry=ttu

You can't achieve a proper flowing core with seamless urban neighborhoods with these monstrosities in the middle of it. It doesn't work.

I can't see this NOT being addressed in the near future. Just going to a Heat game, or trying to get to my favorite part of Miami -- Bayfront -- is a nightmare. Just destroy those southbound lanes, and keep it a one-way northbound avenue like how it starts off at the Southern tip, up to the MacArthur. 2nd already serves as the Southbound speedthru here.
Biscayne Blvd is constructed two-way for a reason, and that's because it's one of the main throughways in Miami, plus isn't Biscayne Blvd a federal highway (Route 1)??? If you're going to create a special southbound throughway in downtown, you're just going to have to tear down a lot of structures to do so, and either way, making Biscayne Blvd a one way throughway would be ludicrous at the most!

Old 02-13-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Biscayne Blvd is constructed two-way for a reason, and that's because it's one of the main throughways in Miami, plus isn't Biscayne Blvd a federal highway (Route 1)??? If you're going to create a special southbound throughway in downtown, you're just going to have to tear down a lot of structures to do so, and either way, making Biscayne Blvd a one way throughway would be ludicrous at the most!
They don't need to create anything. There's already a Southbound speedthru that runs parallel to Biscayne. You know, the very one that merges with Biscayne to form Brickell?
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7776...8192?entry=ttu
And no, it would not be ludicrous. It's what urban cities do. And... It's already one-way for part of it.
The thing is too damn wide. The fix is exactly what any other major urban city does -- switch it to one way. It's part of urban planning and proper urban design.

Do you even live in Miami??

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7709...8192?entry=ttu

Old 02-13-2024, 05:20 PM

Quote:
They don't need to create anything. There's already a Southbound speedthru that runs parallel to Biscayne. You know, the very one that merges with Biscayne to form Brickell?
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7776...8192?entry=ttu
And no, it would not be ludicrous. It's what urban cities do. And... It's already one-way for part of it.
The thing is too damn wide. The fix is exactly what any other major urban city does -- switch it to one way. It's part of urban planning and proper urban design.

Do you even live in Miami??

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7709...8192?entry=ttu
No I don't live in Miami, but I do go to Miami often when I'm in need of supplies since I'm residing in the Caribbean. I do see that the SB lane of Biscayne Blvd (30 MPH) does turn on SE 2nd St into SE 2nd Ave briefly before turning into Brickell Ave. It seemed like what you was saying was to close off much of the SB land of Biscayne and place all of the SB traffic along NE 2nd Ave (25 MPH), which I believe that was what you was implying. It also looks like Biscayne Blvd is the Miami equivalent of the West Side Hwy in NY between 57th St and 14th St as a four lane highway, while NE 2nd Ave is a local street which was never designed to be part of a federal highway in any way except for the brief segment which leads into Brickell Ave, not sure if you thought about that.

It's not going to work, and it's wide for a reason the same way Michigan Ave and Wacker Dr in Chicago are both two way and wide thoroughfares in Chicago, and NY has 14th, 23rd, 34th, 42nd, and 57th Its for it's E-W streets, and every numbered avenues are one way, while the outer boroughs such as Brooklyn has Flatbush Ave and Fulton St, Queens has Queens Blvd, and the Bronx has the Grand Concourse, Boston has the Big Dig and Storrow Dr, SF has Market St and the Embarcadero, and Philadelphia has Market, Broad, and the Ben Franklin Pkwy.

Miami basically has Biscayne, Flagler, and Brickell Ave as basically the main streets in Downtown Miami while Flagler St and Miami Ave serve as the quadrant boundaries for the city. Biscayne, while it does run parallel, practically follows the shore line along the Miami waterfront and isn't a straight line. I don't see how prudent turning a federal highway like Biscayne into solely a one way NB route will ameliorate the traffic situation in Miami. It's best to place an elevated mass transit route (not Metromover) along Biscayne if you so concerned about cars and traffic. I'd rather focus my energy on building more local mass transit in Miami than trying to reroute a federal highway and creating potential bottleneck along NE 2nd Ave (25 MPH) as well as throughout the city, which isn't even designed to be a part of a federal highway in any way!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami