Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 06:35 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,568,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Would you want to retire in Miami? Great city, but I think I’d prefer a slower pace if I were retiring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
I am not retired yet. Probably 10 more years to go. Will I stay in Miami? Not sure. I would like to because I like the urban lifestyle, but I could end up abroad. 10 more years of these unsustainable insurance increases and a national housing supply crisis could chase me out of the US.

Looks like insurance rates not going down in the near future. And you left San Diego at the right time. California is under siege between wild fires, earthquakes and landslides.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eather-ca.html
Yup…I posted about that earlier (and how the only city on CD that gets notoriety when streets flood is Miami) but apparently we’re only permitted to post about flooding in SoFla on this forum without referencing any other cities or states when and where it also occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Didn’t realize you were retired, congratulations! Key Biscayne could work well I think… Otherwise, it would have to be a bit further north to Palm Beach County for me.
Would make a lot of sense for me to move up to PB County as I have a couple of my oldest friends from NY—and plenty other ex NY’ers—who live there, but being around younger people (and more of them…or is it less “older” people) keeps me feeling younger which is why I’m in Miami, at least for the foreseeable future.

Other than that Miami is great for active retirees, such as myself, who still enjoy traveling as the home base for the cruise capital of the world and a conveniently located hub airport with a lot of direct flights not only to the U.S. but Caribbean, South America and Europe. I did 6 trips last year (4 international) with more planned this year.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-23-2024 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
Many years since I was there. Miami... I'm told you'd be better prepared to live there if you learn Spanish, too.
That might be true if you opt to retire in Hialeah and some other western suburbs; otherwise, English is widely spoken in Miami sans the occasional Uber driver (in which case Google Translate is your friend).

Last edited by elchevere; 01-23-2024 at 07:43 AM..

Old 01-23-2024, 10:15 AM

1,948 posts, read 3,327,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Yup…I posted about that earlier (and how the only city on CD that gets notoriety when streets flood is Miami) but apparently we’re only permitted to post about flooding in SoFla on this forum without referencing any other cities or states when and where it also occurs.

Would make a lot of sense for me to move up to PB County as I have a couple of my oldest friends from NY—and plenty other ex NY’ers—who live there, but being around younger people (and more of them…or is it less “older” people) keeps me feeling younger which is why I’m in Miami, at least for the foreseeable future.

Other than that Miami is great for active retirees, such as myself, who still enjoy traveling as the home base for the cruise capital of the world and a conveniently located hub airport with a lot of direct flights not only to the U.S. but Caribbean, South America and Europe. I did 6 trips last year (4 international) with more planned this year.
Agree with this comment. I prefer the energy in Miami at this time. I have a young team here and like the energy when I am out and about. I am a young older man at heart.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:41 AM

The other thing that I’ve discovered in retirement here in Miami: I’m done working, I have plenty of money socked away to finance me to my death and beyond. People have always steered me away from Miami Beach, claiming it’s too crowded (as though Brickell isn’t) and one will tire of the tourists. That may or may not be true but it is also more “relaxed”. While I enjoy being around younger people I’m also subject to their work related issues (more so in Brickell, for obvious reasons) and conversations—something my mind is closed to since I don’t need to be “in the game” any more. This becomes particularly annoying when all I want to do sometimes is relax and enjoy my cigar at the lounge and “zone out” (sports, travel, food, etc) rather than being forced to listen to business topics or other matters that are of no interest to me. Bad with the good—one downside of being around younger types when retired.

If not the beach, I could see myself ultimately gravitating towards Coconut Grove where you have people who have already made it / more established in a more relaxed environment who are happy in their own skin and less susceptible to needing to give me a money making sales pitch or impress others.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-23-2024 at 11:03 AM..

Old 01-23-2024, 12:56 PM

1,948 posts, read 3,327,721 times
I could see myself on the beach. South of Fifth or Sunrise Harbor. Right now I am trying to land on the Venetian Islands. Love Venetian. Special place.

Old 01-23-2024, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
I could see myself on the beach. South of Fifth or Sunrise Harbor. Right now I am trying to land on the Venetian Islands. Love Venetian. Special place.
Yup !!

Old 01-27-2024, 09:54 AM

126 posts, read 220,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I retired early with plenty of gas left in the tank left and enjoy the conveniences of urban living, so in my case—yes, at least for now ……will I remain here in 5, 10 or more years?….we’ll see. A few other places within Miami Dade for others that are more suburban and slower paced.

Same here with retiring slightly early. I too have lived in cities most of my life and wanted to continue that urban living vibe. I had been looking and planning for years to find a place that met my criteria which were:

- A large international mostly walkable, diverse city
- Close to a major airport
- Warm winters
- A place where friends/relatives would want to come visit
- On the east coast of the US

Everything pointed to Miami. I ended up in Downtown Coral Gables where I can walk to 50 bars/restaurants within 10 minutes. It's been a few years now and I still love it. I have no plans to move out of the area any time soon

Old 01-27-2024, 11:22 AM

192 posts, read 145,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr8999 View Post
Same here with retiring slightly early. I too have lived in cities most of my life and wanted to continue that urban living vibe. I had been looking and planning for years to find a place that met my criteria which were:

- A large international mostly walkable, diverse city
- Close to a major airport
- Warm winters
- A place where friends/relatives would want to come visit
- On the east coast of the US

Everything pointed to Miami. I ended up in Downtown Coral Gables where I can walk to 50 bars/restaurants within 10 minutes. It's been a few years now and I still love it. I have no plans to move out of the area any time soon
You reside there all summer too??

Old 01-27-2024, 12:36 PM

126 posts, read 220,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies2023 View Post
You reside there all summer too??
For the most part I do live here but I do most of my traveling in the summer.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:49 AM

4 posts, read 126 times
Tell me more about the states with the most decent salaries, and I will tell you a different story. Florida has always been for retirement, not to work. Those wealthy, stingy retirees don't want to pay decent end-of-life care wages despite moving to Florida with money from other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami