Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 09:05 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times

Advertisements

Miami’s rise as a major tech and finance hub made its debut in a key ranking of the world’s top financial centers. Miami came in at No. 24 worldwide and No. 7 nationally in the Global Financial Centres Index:

https://eedition.miamiherald.com/pop...ibextid=S66gvF

https://www.longfinance.net/programm...centres-index/

North America Ranking

1. NYC
2. SF
3. LA
4. DC
5. Chicago
6. Boston
7. Miami
8. San Diego
9. Minneapolis
10. Toronto
11. Atlanta
12. Vancouver
13. Montreal
14. Calgary

Last edited by elchevere; 10-03-2023 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 09:47 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
High rank, based on a survey... I don't think it will hold up though. It is emerging, but not mature enough. Plus most cities in N.A weee shut down for two years. Let's see how much changes 3-5 years from now.

Also, Miami is still not a major tech hub lol, every indicator shows minimal growth over the past two years. Finance? Sure, lots of players but mainly satellite offices.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
High rank, based on a survey... I don't think it will hold up though. It is emerging, but not mature enough. Plus most cities in N.A weee shut down for two years. Let's see how much changes 3-5 years from now.

Also, Miami is still not a major tech hub lol, every indicator shows minimal growth over the past two years. Finance? Sure, lots of players but mainly satellite offices.
Can’t see an argument for any other other North American city —outside of Toronto—to be ranked higher than Miami in terms of global financial centers. Miami has been ignored previously in these rankings, in large measure its own fault for failing to promote recognition of its financial strength. A number of my friends in finance and private equity made a concerted effort to change that.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-03-2023 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-03-2023, 10:01 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,289,196 times
I’m glad to see Miami included, but the list order seems strange to me. NYC, Chicago, Toronto, and SF would clearly seem like the top 4 to me but that’s not the case.

Old 10-03-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Can’t see an argument for any other other North American city —outside of Toronto—to be ranked higher than Miami in terms of global financial centers. Miami has been ignored previously in these rankings, in large measure its own fault for failing to participate. A number of my friends in finance and private equity made a concerted effort to change that.
Toronto, SF, Chicago, Boston, D.C are much higher than Miami. Montreal is more established and an actual tech hub and a leader in sustainable finance. Atlanta, is also much more of a financial powerhouse, too.

Miami was never ignored on this list either, since this is a ranking is all word of mouth.

Funny enough, I always loved how this ranking was always downplayed cause Canadian cities ranked high, now it's "legitimate"

Old 10-03-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Toronto, SF, Chicago, Boston, D.C are much higher than Miami. Montreal is more established and an actual tech hub and a leader in sustainable finance. Atlanta, is also much more of a financial powerhouse, too.

Miami was never ignored on this list either, since this is a ranking is all word of mouth.

Funny enough, I always loved how this ranking was always downplayed cause Canadian cities ranked high, now it's "legitimate"
Yes, Miami was ignored/overlooked previously—please see direct response I received from Mike Wardle, Director of GFCI, Z/Yen Group last year….looks like its growth and attraction of firms that relocated here finally resulted in more attention/recognition from centers outside of Miami.

Many thanks for your email.

At present we do not give a rating to Miami in the Global Financial Centres Index. Entry to the index is governed by the rule we set that a financial centre needs to attract 150 assessments of its comparative strength from people based in other centres before entering the index (over a 24 month period. At present, while we include Miami as one of the centres in the GFCI survey (https://globalfinancialcentres.net/survey/), it has not yet attracted 150 assessments and we have not as yet included it in the index. We do not rank Miami lower than the centres that you mention, as we do not provide any rating at present.

In order to be listed, we will track how many people rate Miami in the survey. You are free to circulate the survey link to people in financial services roles that know Miami to help build towards inclusion.

Very best

Mike

Mike Wardle
Director
Z/Yen Group Limited
+44 (0) 20 7562 9562
+44 (0) 7880 737319
www.zyen.com

Last edited by elchevere; 10-03-2023 at 10:50 AM..

Old 10-03-2023, 11:27 AM

So all anecdotal...

But I guess this list is "legit" now compared to other years lol.

Old 10-03-2023, 11:54 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Miami’s rise as a major tech and finance hub made its debut in a key ranking of the world’s top financial centers. Miami came in at No. 24 worldwide and No. 7 nationally in the Global Financial Centres Index:

https://eedition.miamiherald.com/pop...ibextid=S66gvF

https://www.longfinance.net/programm...centres-index/

North America Ranking

1. NYC
2. SF
3. LA
4. DC
5. Chicago
6. Boston
7. Miami
8. San Diego
9. Minneapolis
10. Toronto
11. Atlanta
12. Vancouver
13. Montreal
14. Calgary
This is very impressive given Miami is a much younger city than many of the others on the list. I have been impressed since moving here with the city's continued growth. Looking forward to watching the continued evolution. Wynwood is going to be quite impressive once these new apartment buildings open and fill with talent. I put my team in Wynwood. Really like that location.

And oh the weather today!

Old 10-03-2023, 01:38 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
This is very impressive given Miami is a much younger city
much much much younger

Old 10-03-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
much much much younger
Gee, I wonder if that might’ve played a role as to why we weren’t included in other years on prior surveys and more mature cities were….lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: