Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 01:43 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times

Advertisements

Never ending summer?...lol

I admit this year has been very hot early on and have always stated that June is the make or break month as to whether it will be a long(er) summer....but, even with June I am counting 5 months of summer (June - October); meanwhile, November - April (6 months) is the envy of the country, a far cry from never ending or intolerable summer....as for a "short winter"???...December (sometimes a week - 10 days earlier) - March (4+ solid months) in NY is not exactly "short"....and while Miami has had a hot June, NY has been the "beneficiary?" of unhealthy, poor air quality from Canadian wildfires.

Where exactly in Central Florida--on the coast or inland?.... makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
It is obscenely uncomfortable.

I live in central Florida. The temperature today is 88 degrees with high humidity. The Real Feel is 99 degrees. The Dew Point is in the 70's which is rated "Intolerable". And it stays there for a long long time.

Everyone stays in their hermetically sealed air conditioned homes and offices, using their air conditioned cars in between.

I much prefer the short winter in NYC as opposed to the never-ending summer in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 01:44 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:

I live in central Florida. The temperature today is 88 degrees with high humidity. The Real Feel is 99 degrees. The Dew Point is in the 70's which is rated "Intolerable". And it stays there for a long long time.

Everyone stays in their hermetically sealed air conditioned homes and offices, using their air conditioned cars in between.

I much prefer the short winter in NYC as opposed to the never-ending summer in Florida.
I would never live in Central, FL. No ocean breeze. Oppressive. Miami by the water totally different. I lived through a polar vortex in NY that had the average monthly high temperature during February at 15 degrees. Try that out and see if you think winter is short.

Old 06-19-2023, 02:48 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:

I'm posting this about an hour later from the Houston metro and here it's 100 degrees with 44% humidity and a feels like of 115.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:09 PM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
New Yorkers would do better with the weather in Eastern FLA <3 miles from the Atlantic, than anything on the Western side of the Florida Penninsula, where its much hotter. The Atlantic Ocean cools the air a lot more than the Gulf of Mexico, & there's always a breeze off the Atlantic on the East, Coast, but not nearly as much as off the Gulf on the West Coast.

I've lived on both sides of FLA, & continue to spend time on both sides, so I should know. I'll take Jupiter, FL weather over Sarasota, FL any day...not even close. My Sister-in-law lives in Jupiter, so were over there 2x/yr.. from Venice, FL in Southern Sarasota County. Visiting her feels easily 10 degrees cooler mid-day....& they dont get Red Tide.

"Feels like" right now in Sarasota is 107, & it was 109 yesterday. Basically, from 11 am to 7 pm you are inside a building or vehicle with A/C, unless you are in the shade on a boat, in a golf cart, or we get an afternoon rain shower to cool things off.

I'm saving ~$15k/yr living in FLA versus GA where we moved here from, but 7 years into it, I'm beginning to stretch my Summer escapes out longer & longer. I started w/ 2 wks/yr, & this year I'm upto 6 weeks. Next year, we are looking at 2-3 months up North anywhere the weather is at least 15 degrees cooler than it is here.

"Halfbacks" are real, & that group will be growing a lot in the years ahead. I'm checking out the Mountains in Western NC this Summer for a month. Right now, our feels like is 107, and Brevard NC, near Asheville, is 68. NC cost of living is not much different than FLA's, so long as I keep my residency in FLA 6 months 1 day/yr..

Lower cost of living and lower taxes will attract many, but the weather will chase a lot of them away from FLA. This is my 3rd stink in FLA, so I've had experience with it. After 5 years, it begins to wear you down...as do the tourists.

Old 06-19-2023, 04:09 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

I'm saving ~$15k/yr living in FLA versus GA where we moved here from, but 7 years into it, I'm beginning to stretch my Summer escapes out longer & longer. I started w/ 2 wks/yr, & this year I'm upto 6 weeks. Next year, we are looking at 2-3 months.
My thinking is similar to yours….I just got back from a 2.5 week vacation and have 2 more planned (10 day trip in mid July and another 10 day trip in mid August). Possible I might do a 3rd in late September…..as for next year, will be looking at a 2 month stay in Brazil from either mid June to mid August or early July to early September. It’s their winter during that time which is very similar to February weather in Miami (something I consider ideal—except it’s their off season with less tourists and Rio is a bargain v Miami).

Last edited by elchevere; 06-19-2023 at 04:24 PM..

Old 06-19-2023, 06:07 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
My thinking is similar to yours….I just got back from a 2.5 week vacation and have 2 more planned (10 day trip in mid July and another 10 day trip in mid August). Possible I might do a 3rd in late September…..as for next year, will be looking at a 2 month stay in Brazil from either mid June to mid August or early July to early September. It’s their winter during that time which is very similar to February weather in Miami (something I consider ideal—except it’s their off season with less tourists and Rio is a bargain v Miami).
This sounds amazing! A perfect strategy for managing the hot summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami