Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 07:42 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking about the show Miami Vice, which of course was in the 1980s.

Do people in Miami like Miami more now than the 80s, or vice-versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 07:16 AM

18,427 posts, read 8,258,982 times
ok I'll play....

I loved the 80's when I was 40 years younger....

..now, not at all LOL

Old 04-03-2023, 07:39 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
I find in Miami there's at least three groups

1. Those who love it in the 80s vs now

2. Those who love it late 90s to the 2008 boom vs today

3. Today vs all other years...

For me, I'm in group #2, moved there in the late 90s, loved it so much. Def a lot better than today, had a different vibe (had it stayed that way, I would probably still live there)

Old 04-03-2023, 09:39 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I was just thinking about the show Miami Vice, which of course was in the 1980s.

Do people in Miami like Miami more now than the 80s, or vice-versa?
I think I would have enjoyed those days back then when Ocean Drive was a special spot and living on the beach was "cool". However, I was still in university. I moved here a year and half ago and love it! I am sure it's a very different vibe today from the 80's. Nonetheless, it's a great spot for me. The parks, beach, food options, Brightline train, the sunsets, and constant new things opening and the sense of optimism among everyone I have met here so far!

Old 04-03-2023, 09:45 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
I think I would have enjoyed those days back then when Ocean Drive was a special spot and living on the beach was "cool". However, I was still in university. I moved here a year and half ago and love it! I am sure it's a very different vibe today from the 80's. Nonetheless, it's a great spot for me. The parks, beach, food options, Brightline train, the sunsets, and constant new things opening and the sense of optimism among everyone I have met here so far!
You would've loved the 90s-early 2000s era, SoBe especially was a special place.

Really sad seeing how it is now.

Old 04-03-2023, 01:48 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
I love Miami but the 80s was a strange time for the city. The decade started out with the Arthur McDuffie Riots and 3 more Race riots due to Police shootings of Black men. Then we had the Mariel boatlift where 125,000 Cuban refugees arrived in the city within a span of six months. The city was so overwhelmed that there were tent cities under I-95 to house them and crime skyrocketed.
There was the Miami River Cops case where the police were seizing boats on the River with illegal drugs, stealing them then reselling them for profit. There was also the Cocaine Cowboys drug gang that led to a shootout between them & the FEDS at Dadeland Mall.
Things were so bad that TIME Magazine did a cover story about Miami with the Headline "Paradise Lost?"

On the positive side Hollywood discovered Miami with TV Shows like Miami Vice & The Golden Girls. The Art Deco district started to flourish after crazy proposals to raze everything on South Beach & replace them with new Spanish style Condos & Canals.
Metrorail & Metro mover opened. We finally got a NBA team with the Miami Heat.
The Miami Music scene made its mark nationwide with Hip Hop & Dance groups like 2 Live Crew, Expose' and others on the charts.
It seems like Miami in the 1980s had to mature from being a laid back resort town into a major city rather quickly.

Old 04-03-2023, 03:25 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
I concur with Bobdreamz; I moved to South Florida in 1978 (first Lauderhill, then North Miami and then North Miami Beach my first 4, 5 years there). South Beach was depressing to drive through, with lots of elderly (mostly Jewish) poor people just rocking to and fro on rocking chairs on the huge front porches of what were dilapidated looking hotels. You’d drive by and just shake your head over the sad life; at least they had a beachfront view. If you had told me the beach was going to become the glitzy glamorous home to athletes, super models, celebrities, trust fund babies and their entourages, I would’ve called you a liar. And I would be wrong.

When I lived in Broward County, I drove down 441 from Lauderhill to Little Havana one time, and got freaked out driving through Opa-Locka. I thought I had entered a page from Arabian Nights, with city buildings that would look right at home in the Middle East. I saw tremendous blight. What a day trip!

Sunrise Musical Theater was a great place to see a concert. Saw INXS, John Cougar Mellencamp, CSN&Y. Only sat about 5000 and really not a bad seat in the house.

And yes, the Mariel Boatlift…talk about lousy border protection. Carter lost the state to Reagan by a wide margin. Reagan took South Florida. Poor Jimmy, good person but terrible president.

Old 04-03-2023, 06:13 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
@wizrap You have me tripping right now because I also saw INXS at Sunrise! We were probably at the same concert and I was in the 2nd. row from the stage! I got to meet the entire band in the parking lot after the show as they were getting on their tour bus and they were so wasted drinking Heinekens on stage.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:50 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
OMG! We’re they great! I think Michael Hutchence was dead within 2 years. I loved Sunrise. The Sportatorium was another matter. Driving on that narrow 2 lane road to that big monstrosity out west. To think it’s now multi-lane Pines Boulevard and the site of the Silverlakes development. I saw U2 there both nights though. That was a great concert too.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:14 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Thanks for the replies thusfar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami