Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 09:18 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
You would've loved the 90s-early 2000s era, SoBe especially was a special place.

Really sad seeing how it is now.
What is like now as opposed to then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I love Miami but the 80s was a strange time for the city. The decade started out with the Arthur McDuffie Riots and 3 more Race riots due to Police shootings of Black men. Then we had the Mariel boatlift where 125,000 Cuban refugees arrived in the city within a span of six months. The city was so overwhelmed that there were tent cities under I-95 to house them and crime skyrocketed.
There was the Miami River Cops case where the police were seizing boats on the River with illegal drugs, stealing them then reselling them for profit. There was also the Cocaine Cowboys drug gang that led to a shootout between them & the FEDS at Dadeland Mall.
Things were so bad that TIME Magazine did a cover story about Miami with the Headline "Paradise Lost?"

On the positive side Hollywood discovered Miami with TV Shows like Miami Vice & The Golden Girls. The Art Deco district started to flourish after crazy proposals to raze everything on South Beach & replace them with new Spanish style Condos & Canals.
Metrorail & Metro mover opened. We finally got a NBA team with the Miami Heat.
The Miami Music scene made its mark nationwide with Hip Hop & Dance groups like 2 Live Crew, Expose' and others on the charts.
It seems like Miami in the 1980s had to mature from being a laid back resort town into a major city rather quickly.
Did the show and real life coincide then? Its usually, the real life stuff happens, then the show takes inspiration. Or did the show runners take stories from the year or months prior, quickly write up script for the next season?

Also I thought the Cubans that came over were not the criminal type, but the capitalist that lossed everything when the Communists took over. Arent they also the most economically successful of the Latino groups?

That is why I am told, Id never know a Cuban if I saw one. Which is exactly it. I have never met a Cuban in the NYC metro area. They dont seem to be very visible minority.

Old 04-04-2023, 04:43 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Did the show and real life coincide then? Its usually, the real life stuff happens, then the show takes inspiration. Or did the show runners take stories from the year or months prior, quickly write up script for the next season?

Also I thought the Cubans that came over were not the criminal type, but the capitalist that lossed everything when the Communists took over. Arent they also the most economically successful of the Latino groups?

That is why I am told, Id never know a Cuban if I saw one. Which is exactly it. I have never met a Cuban in the NYC metro area. They dont seem to be very visible minority.
The show was inspired by real life events in Miami. Miami was a magnet for dealers of all sorts of drugs, and drug-related crimes. And with that came money and money laundering. The joke was that some of the new small banks were practically owned by cartels, and if you analyzed cash in the area, you’d typically find cocaine residue.

The Mariel boat lift in 1980 was different than the exodus that occurred in the late 1950’s/early 1960’s. The boat lift refugees were primarily poor. Castro said if you can bring a boat to port Mariel, you are free to go to Florida. He also had boats ready for prisoners and the mentally challenged since he emptied the jails and mental hospitals. I worked in Human Resources at the time and the cops came by to provide illustrations of Cuban prison tattoos and their meaning. Fun times.

The Cubans that came over after Castro was elected, were definitely more highly educated, and although many were well off in Cuba, had to leave everything behind and start anew. Definitely hard-working capitalists. They came over before the Mariel refugees.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:24 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Also I thought the Cubans that came over were not the criminal type, but the capitalist that lossed everything when the Communists took over. Arent they also the most economically successful of the Latino groups
basically 4 waves.... in very general terms

1 educated that left... as and when Castro got into power
2 teenagers that Castro let out....Pedro Pan
4 Mariel poor uneducated..mentals and criminals...a lot that were for Castro until reality set in

5 now....indoctrinated...grew up under Castro...used to the government giving them things....like a rice cooker when there's no rice

Last edited by Corrie22; 04-04-2023 at 08:25 AM..

Old 04-04-2023, 07:54 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Never met a Cuban in NYC? You need to get yourself over to Bergenline Ave. in West New York.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Never met a Cuban in NYC? You need to get yourself over to Bergenline Ave. in West New York.
Pretty sure it is mostly other Hispanics there now like Ecuador, or Colombian etc etc. Union City is said to be Cuban, but I am sure that is just an exaggeration. I doubt it was ever all Cuban.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:26 AM

By the way Elian Gonzalez is now a politician in Cuba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfHmm-LAX1I

Old 04-04-2023, 02:30 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Pretty sure it is mostly other Hispanics there now like Ecuador, or Colombian etc etc. Union City is said to be Cuban, but I am sure that is just an exaggeration. I doubt it was ever all Cuban.
Bergenline Ave. starts in JC and runs north through Guttenberg, turns into Anderson Ave. and keeps going up to Ft. Lee. The biggest concentration of Cubans is in West New York/Guttenberg. Not in Union City.

Yes, it's very mixed Hispanic, has been for decades, generally in the realm of 75-90% Hispanic on both sides of Bergenline. It was never majority Cuban, still, you have about 40,000 Cubans just in that immediate area and around 100,000 in the 5 boros + Hudson/Bergen.

And yeah, Cubans are pretty well represented all over that area. Every suburban county is 5-10% Cuban . . . which is why it's weird to never have met a Cuban.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:21 AM

7,408 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Might have to add a new comparison, pre-Covid (2013 - 2019) v post Covid.

Old 04-06-2023, 05:43 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
I grew up there and went to School in Union City & West New York. It was predominately Cuban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami