Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 08:47 AM

195 posts, read 130,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Miami is the new Maldives for these cons....the islands in the Pacific that were supposed to be under water a long time ago...for years the Maldives were the poster child of sea level rise

They shut up about them....because not only are the Maldives not under water....the islands have grow bigger...the complete opposite of what they were saying and predicting

...so they just moved on to Miami

It is known that the Maldives used it as a marketing ploy -- come visit us before we go down! Be one of the last tourists here!

It's good that Miami is simply ignoring the nonsense and expanding and improving the city. The challenge frankly is going to be how to handle traffic when so many people from all over are moving here. Perhaps Musk can build some kind of "floating highway" along the coast? :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 08:53 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsha7277 View Post
It is known that the Maldives used it as a marketing ploy --
worse....the Maldives used it as extortion....to get aid/money

..and here it is....50 years later....and the Maldives are bigger

Old 03-11-2023, 11:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
You know why you two have different answers? Because neither of the two of you are geologic scientists (I suppose; if you are, my apologies). And despite this, everyone online pretends to be one. What does sea level rise in South Florida look from a historic perspective? Will it sustain moving forward? Is it cyclical and will there eventually be an ice age that reverses the effects of sea level? And if that does happen, will it bring a new set of problems? All of these are questions that I’m not equipped to answer. And I definitely won’t be convinced by an online article written by a journalist. Even if the journalist is covering a scientists’ analysis, it will still be biased because they will likely write about the one that they want to believe or that will drive them the most clicks.

Quote:
that's total BS......it's 1 inch a decade....1 inch in 10 years

it will take over a century to raise a foot

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl...tml?id=8723214
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I didn't see this link
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl...tml?id=8723214
when i looked for answers.
It's possibly that the research cited by me made a mistake.

Or maybe not.
Here are other statements:
https://phys.org/news/2014-04-florida-ground-sea.html

https://earth.org/sea-level-rise-in-florida/

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/hazard...ch-report.html

https://sealevelrise.org/states/florida/

I could go on and on. What are your sources?

Old 03-14-2023, 02:56 AM

154 posts, read 150,038 times
I don't know if the sea levels are rising or not but what I do know is every time it rains the Brickell area floods really bad. Yet they keep building high rises non stop in that swamp. How smart is that?

Old 03-14-2023, 05:21 AM

836 posts, read 851,366 times
Quote:
Miami is the new Maldives for these cons....the islands in the Pacific that were supposed to be under water a long time ago...for years the Maldives were the poster child of sea level rise

They shut up about them....because not only are the Maldives not under water....the islands have grow bigger...the complete opposite of what they were saying and predicting

...so they just moved on to Miami
It gets worse of Skyscraperpage. Every time peters say that Miami is going to go underwater when I've told them that Miami will only get bigger because more people are moving into the city as well as over South FL, and FL in general, but these immature posters are only threatened that a small city like Miami will only compete with the likes of NYC, Chicago, and LA.

All those cities are declining and by 2030, FL will become and even bigger state with more political power while NY, IL, and CA will suffer with population decline. I say this as a former New Yorker and as a former Philadelphian that it's a new century and the emerging cities such as Austin, San Antonio, Tampa, Orlando, and especially Miami are going to be a part of the people's consciousness the way NYC, Chicago, LA, Philadelphia, and Detroit was a part of the consciousness of the 20th century.

Old 03-16-2023, 02:43 PM

415 posts, read 649,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamInMiami View Post
I don't know if the sea levels are rising or not but what I do know is every time it rains the Brickell area floods really bad. Yet they keep building high rises non stop in that swamp. How smart is that?
I addressed that on the previous page. All new buildings are being built at a higher elevlation. This allows the public right of way to be raised in the future.

The area flood after big storms due to inadequate drainage. The limestone underground is pourus and big rain storms raise the water table. This has always been the case. More buildings equal more water runoff and less places for the water to go.

Its an inconvience that can be overcome. The growth of the city helps cause the problem while also helping to solve it.

Old 03-16-2023, 05:17 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
All new buildings are being built at a higher elevlation. .

"the floor elevation shall be a minimum of eight (8) inches above the elevation established by the County Flood Criteria Map"

https://library.municode.com/fl/miam...IICOOR_CH8BUCO

Old 03-17-2023, 10:57 AM

415 posts, read 649,794 times
Quote:
"the floor elevation shall be a minimum of eight (8) inches above the elevation established by the County Flood Criteria Map"

https://library.municode.com/fl/miam...IICOOR_CH8BUCO
And the flood maps are updated. Right now Miami Beach for example is requiring all new buildings to be at 8' NGVD +1' or base flood elevation +1', whichever is higher. So even the areas with the lower base flood elevation are moved up.

Another big issue is insurance. If your ground floor level is below base flood elevation then the insurance carriers will clasify your ground floor as a basement and not cover it. So Owners/Developers are moving most habitable components above that level to avoid having to provide flood panels.

With the amount of growth in Miami most areas in danger will all be rebuilt decades before there is any real issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami