Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 03:32 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
Miami has a lot of in migration the issue is that we are also losing a lot of people to other cities in Florida and therefore not going alot. In fact the census numbers show that from 2020 to 2022 we actually lost a small percentage of people.

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...s-shifted.html

We are gaining wealthy residents, young single professionals, etc. This however is pushing out the middle to lower class families to Broward and beyond as they can't afford to live here.

Part of the issue is that Miami is essentially landlocked similar to Manhattan. And similar to Manhattan Miami is becoming wealth center of activity that average people can't afford. We need to continue to build good transit like the brightline. The cities to the North will essentially become our NJ and much of the working class will have to commute in and out.
I wish Miami would invest in more transportation options other than buses. In that respect the city is so far behind it's peers. I just got back from Spain and their subway was amazing. It was so easy to get around. Subway in Miami not going to work but, a light rail would have been a nice thing to invest in as they built out the design district, wynwood, etc. To be a true world class city, Miami will have to figure that out. Brightline is great, but not nearly enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 04:17 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
I wish Miami would invest in more transportation options other than buses. In that respect the city is so far behind it's peers. I just got back from Spain and their subway was amazing. It was so easy to get around. Subway in Miami not going to work but, a light rail would have been a nice thing to invest in as they built out the design district, wynwood, etc. To be a true world class city, Miami will have to figure that out. Brightline is great, but not nearly enough.
Yuuuuup, and I'm still salty my proposal got rejected and shat on by my colleagues at city hall. Miami would be lightyears ahead with this system, not only transit wise but as a city overall.

You can thank Mr. Diaz and a few others for prioritizing the wrong thing and quick money over long term feasibility.

Old 04-08-2023, 02:55 PM

836 posts, read 851,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
Miami has a lot of in migration the issue is that we are also losing a lot of people to other cities in Florida and therefore not going alot. In fact the census numbers show that from 2020 to 2022 we actually lost a small percentage of people.

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...s-shifted.html
I don't really but that Miami is losing population. You have to understand that Miami has a high immigrant population and that a lot of immigrants (mainly from Latin America and the Caribbean) don't participate in the decennial census on the regular like many citizens do. Back in 2019, Miami was recorded to have 467K people living in the city limits, and now, it's "declined" to 439K.

While I'm no believer in conspiracy, I kinda believe that maybe the Commerce Department and the census bureau have been targeting FL. According to recent estimates, FL was undercounted by about 700K people, thereby causing it to miss one more congressional district. It will come, however, as FL will gain a lot more since it's the current fastest state in the 2020s so far!

We are gaining wealthy residents, young single professionals, etc. This however is pushing out the middle to lower class families to Broward and beyond as they can't afford to live here.

Part of the issue is that Miami is essentially landlocked similar to Manhattan. And similar to Manhattan Miami is becoming wealth center of activity that average people can't afford. We need to continue to build good transit like the brightline. The cities to the North will essentially become our NJ and much of the working class will have to commute in and out.
[/quote]

When it comes to the intercity and commuter rail, Miami/South FL is doing a great job at expanding as well as reaching cities like Orlando right now and in the future, Tampa and Jville. I do wish that the transit engineers could extend the Brightline to SW FL (Naples & Ft. Myers), and I hope that the extension could be two branches as opposed to one line because I'd hate to see a SW extension be congested with one line all the way to Miami.

There's really no NJ equivalent in FL. FL is now a premier state along with CA, TX, NY, PA, IL, and even MA. I can, however see Miami-Dade somewhat the county equivalent to Manhattan, Broward like Brooklyn, and Palm Beach like Queens to a degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
The best way for Miami would be to extend the Metrorail and extending it to Hard Rock Stadium is a good start. Light rail would be nice, but it would have to go to Miami Beach, and unfortunately, the Boomers don't want any mass transit going through Miami Beach because it would "destroy the ambiance and the vibe of South Beach"! Not my words!

Other than light rail, Miami needs Metrorail to extend, and maybe extend the Metromover to the Civic Center and the Metromover would have to be changed from a free system to a paid system (same rate of $2.25) if it were to be extended further.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:40 PM

10 posts, read 11,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
I had a customer tell me that in 2021..wouldn't over bid on a large 1/1 at Flatiron...needless to say it went up $150k a year later

Worse case you hate Miami, you rent it out. There will never be a dull market for Miami rentals.
So far so good. I sure hope I don't end up buying a 1.2K sqft 2 bedroom condo with 1K+ monthly HOA for $850K. They seem to be at 700K.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:02 AM

415 posts, read 649,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I don't really but that Miami is losing population. You have to understand that Miami has a high immigrant population and that a lot of immigrants (mainly from Latin America and the Caribbean) don't participate in the decennial census on the regular like many citizens do. Back in 2019, Miami was recorded to have 467K people living in the city limits, and now, it's "declined" to 439K.
The city limits are irrelevant to me. Whether you live in Miami, South Beach, Coral Gables, Pinecrest, etc. it's all miami. The county level is what is I thnk is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
There's really no NJ equivalent in FL. FL is now a premier state along with CA, TX, NY, PA, IL, and even MA. I can, however see Miami-Dade somewhat the county equivalent to Manhattan, Broward like Brooklyn, and Palm Beach like Queens to a degree.
Again I'm looking at the countly level so this is in line with my point. Miami being Manhattan as the most desireable and drivier of the economy. Broward is Brooklyn, Palm Beach Queens, and Homestad while still in Dade county is far enough away to be the Bronx.

Old 04-19-2023, 07:28 AM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
Miami is so much more efficient than Broward/Ft Lauderdale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami