Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 10:04 AM

245 posts, read 235,950 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I am considering taking a job at the Air Force Base in Homestead. I know that there are some sketchy areas around Homestead and Florida City. Please advise me where the good areas around Homestead are. I would be willing to commute 30 minutes, maybe 45 minutes for the right area. And by good areas, I mean SAFE areas. I want to be able to walk down the street in the evening with zero concerns, or go for an evening jog and not have any problems. Just me and my wife, so 2-3 bedrooms, preferably 3 when my kids come to visit.

Budget is 300-400K for a house, preferably closer to 300K. Is this even doable? Am I out of luck anywhere down there. And don't suggest the Redlands, I don't have a million bucks to spend, I want to be able to retire at some point without a massive mortgage. I looked at Key Largo, but it appears that you can't get anything other than a trailer for under 450K there. From what I hear, if looking around Homestead, the Keys Gate area is among the best. But I am not necessarily tied to Homestead, I am just looking for good and safe areas. I would be willing to travel as far as Broward County all the way down to the upper keys. Is this doable on my budget, and if so, where. Specific neighborhoods and/or cities please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 11:03 AM

30 posts, read 56,157 times
I would stay away from Homestead and especially Florida City. Florida city is considered by several websites the most or one of the most dangerous city in the entire state.

In my opinion, in today's housing market, $300k in a decent area will "maybe" get you a townhouse. Just to give you an idea....I just sold a 3/2 1500 sqft. home that had been rented out for 12 years and needed a total makeover for $585k, no agents involved and sold in 3 days. Also, my daughter just purchased a 3/2 1200sqft needing a total reno for $540k.

BTW, I do not feel safe walking in the evening anywhere in Miami-Dade county.

Best of luck!

Last edited by TnRusty; 03-02-2022 at 11:16 AM..

Old 03-02-2022, 12:03 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Keys Gate and adjacent gated communities are safe.

Old 03-02-2022, 01:08 PM

245 posts, read 235,950 times
So basically unless I am willing to spend 500-600k forget it. I mean that would definitely make my decision to move there easier. So are there really no family safe areas down there for under 400k? I did see some keys gate homes for under 400, is that basically my only option.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:25 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
So basically unless I am willing to spend 500-600k forget it. I mean that would definitely make my decision to move there easier. So are there really no family safe areas down there for under 400k? I did see some keys gate homes for under 400, is that basically my only option.
Get a townhome/condo in Kendall area / Southwest? Turnpike is an easy ride down to the base, don't limit your self to just homestead. And Key Largo? Definitely not for that price! Very expensive and there's not a whole lot to do or places to eat/shop.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:32 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRusty View Post
BTW, I do not feel safe walking in the evening anywhere in Miami-Dade county.
Could someone explain this comment? Many Miami neighborhoods have a growing reputation across the country as walkable, vibrant, and full of places open at night -- "the most urbane city in the South." Not just Brickell and South Beach, but 5 or 6 other neighborhoods as well.

Assuming we're not walking around at 2 in the morning, why would residents feel unsafe anywhere in M-D in the evening?

Old 03-06-2022, 07:39 AM

30 posts, read 56,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Could someone explain this comment? Many Miami neighborhoods have a growing reputation across the country as walkable, vibrant, and full of places open at night -- "the most urbane city in the South." Not just Brickell and South Beach, but 5 or 6 other neighborhoods as well.

Assuming we're not walking around at 2 in the morning, why would residents feel unsafe anywhere in M-D in the evening?

Since I was the one that made the comment, I will explain why I feel that way.

I lived in Miami for 46 years. While living in Miami I was the victim of a crime 12 times, ranging from stolen vehicles and home burglaries to armed robbery and being shot twice. Mind you, none of these crimes happened to me in Liberty City, Overtown, Opa-locka or any other town that some may consider a bad or unsafe neighborhood, they all happened in relatively safe or what I considered at the time a very safe neighborhood. I flipped houses all over Miami for over 22 years, from the Broward county line all the way to Homestead, so I was familiar with the good, the bad and the ugly neighborhoods.

Walkable, vibrant and night life don't necessarily translate into "safe", but rather unsafe in my opinion.

Old 04-09-2022, 09:28 PM

27 posts, read 30,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Keys Gate and adjacent gated communities are safe.
What about the Ranchos del Sol gated community?
I heard all big houses were owned by drug lords

Old 04-11-2022, 11:14 AM

880 posts, read 563,967 times
Ah man... it starts.

Homestead is quickly becoming built up. It used to be a hidden gem of farms and such. I better go buy some land quick before it all becomes subdivisions and outdoor shopping malls!

Old 04-12-2022, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,888 times
I worked at Homestead ARB for a decade before moving for a government promotion. And visit the area at least once a year.

Couple of things

Since your married no kids. You will have no problem living in the area. I was a single parent when I was there. And I rented a small condo down in Key Largo. Because of the schools.

Are you working for the Government? Customs? Military? Civilian or Dual Status? If you are new to government service. Absolutely take the job. Get in the FERS system. Live in the Keys for a while.

As far as buying a house. Don't do it. With the Pandemic almost over. Home interest going through the roof, And a recession on the way. If you still want to stay in the area. Buy when prices are down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami