Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 08:32 AM

880 posts, read 563,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacollins View Post
I was nervous to choose Florida at first as I’m pretty liberal and would probably fit in better in California, but I was offered the same rate of pay for California and Florida, but with the higher state income tax rate it was almost an $800 difference in pay.

I'd respectfully ask you to re-read this a few times, and recognize the ... perhaps slight hypocrisy of this statement. You are pretty liberal, but chose a conservative state because of the lower taxes. Curious that, now that you are a Florida resident, will you choose to vote for politicians who would like to raise taxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
So again, a company in Miami can say "hey! we created 300 jobs" but if 250 are not in Miami, then Miami only sees a net gain of 50 jobs.

Can anyone confirm, my understanding is that this business will still need to pay various taxes related to these remote employees. The employees of course will still pay their own income taxes in the state for which they reside, but the corporation will pay payroll taxes and other state and local taxes associated with this employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 01:24 PM

150 posts, read 252,381 times
I’ve stated before that tax structures need to be balanced. Currently, the two places I considered represented two extremes. California’s highest tax rate stands at close to 13 percent. People who earn just $58,000 in CA pay 10 percent. No one earning that pay should pay 10 percent. This on top of federal taxes is too high. Florida on the other hand represents a different imbalance with zero state tax which will be felt by lower income residents now that southern Florida and Florida in general are producing higher paying jobs and a more attractive lifestyle in general than many other places. I love it here and wish I had moved sooner and will definately vote for progressive, not necessarily liberal, politicians who will help people and create better social programs like libraries, museums, public theatres, environmental initiatives, housing, etc. I feel Florida is great now, but can be so much better if more focus is geared to people. Funny you should ask this question because I am considering getting into local politics once I’ve been a resident for a little while longer.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:33 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
I’ve stated before that tax structures need to be balanced. Currently, the two places I considered represented two extremes. California’s highest tax rate stands at close to 13 percent. People who earn just $58,000 in CA pay 10 percent. No one earning that pay should pay 10 percent. This on top of federal taxes is too high. Florida on the other hand represents a different imbalance with zero state tax which will be felt by lower income residents now that southern Florida and Florida in general are producing higher paying jobs and a more attractive lifestyle in general than many other places. I love it here and wish I had moved sooner and will definitely vote for progressive, not necessarily liberal, politicians who will help people and create better social programs like libraries, museums, public theatres, environmental initiatives, housing, etc. I feel Florida is great now, but can be so much better if more focus is geared to people. Funny you should ask this question because I am considering getting into local politics once I’ve been a resident for a little while longer.
Good luck, I was in that field when I lived in Miami, close to two decades. Get ready for a lot of corruption and incompetence, selling out to any real-estate developer as well and having people focusing more on NY/SoCal capital than investing in local ecosystems. Also you will not find progressives in Miami, it is essentially a small l liberal city, borderline small c conservative city, they don't believe in any services and that the private sector will be the one to step in. This is a city that can't even handle a rain storm, so wanting more services (and good ones) is a long shot.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:47 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,058 times
Quote:
Exactly and then there are professionals like myself who are working remotely and will by choice choose southern Florida to live due to the amenities. Only Southern California (hence my rationale for my other thread comparing the two) offers the same year round access to the ocean. I was nervous to choose Florida at first as I’m pretty liberal and would probably fit in better in California, but I was offered the same rate of pay for California and Florida, but with the higher state income tax rate it was almost an $800 difference in pay. I don’t mind paying taxes, but that $800 can go towards investments, etc. So I have chosen Florida for now. Ironically, I was offered more for Texas, but I am not a Texan and I loathe Dallas. Sorry to anyone from there, but I’m just not a fan. So here’s hoping Florida works out.

You would've loved Austin. Austin literally is the only liberal town in Texas. Yes, I grew up in Dallas and Austin. I vastly prefer Austin over Dallas but have not lived in Texas for over 15 years. My house which is 3 bedroom 2.5 baths, 2 living areas, 1 full kitchen and basement on 1/4th of an acre...I pay $900 a month which also includes house insurance and property tax. Property tax is approximately $1,500 a year. Where? Bel Aire, Kansas which is next to Wichita. Yep, that cheap plus I don't have to worry about bad traffic. Yet, I miss Austin badly. I've been told to visit Miami to see for myself so maybe one day. Airplane tickets are cheap going to and from Miami so I might grab the chance.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Austin has some of the worst traffic problems in the country- I go there 4-5 times a year. Is that what we want to emulate?
Austin has always had bad traffic even when I graduated 30 years ago from a local high school there, lol. They've built roads though.

Old 11-23-2021, 02:23 PM

Yes Austin is really nice, but coming from DC I was looking for a bit more city feel which Miami does offer I think more than Austin.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:44 PM

Haven't been to Austin for 15 years. Yep, been away that long but my good friend moved back to Austin and he's been living in Hawaii for 8 years literally. He's been to NYC and says Austin is now starting to feel like NYC for what's it's worth, lol. I've yet been to Miami so can't really comment.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:52 AM

Yup it’s definately time for you to visit.

Old 11-27-2021, 03:22 PM

21 posts, read 19,553 times
Quote:
Exactly and then there are professionals like myself who are working remotely and will by choice choose southern Florida to live due to the amenities. Only Southern California (hence my rationale for my other thread comparing the two) offers the same year round access to the ocean. I was nervous to choose Florida at first as I’m pretty liberal and would probably fit in better in California, but I was offered the same rate of pay for California and Florida, but with the higher state income tax rate it was almost an $800 difference in pay. I don’t mind paying taxes, but that $800 can go towards investments, etc. So I have chosen Florida for now. Ironically, I was offered more for Texas, but I am not a Texan and I loathe Dallas. Sorry to anyone from there, but I’m just not a fan. So here’s hoping Florida works out.
Yeah as someone who just recently visited Dallas for work. You could give me 20 million dollars to live there and I still wouldn’t. It’s California or Florida for me.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:07 PM

Ditto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami