Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 09:11 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,824,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkim View Post
Thanks for your thoughts City Guy997S. I've watched a few youtube videos and also noticed no commercial or retail stores other than the town center. Def feels like a bubble.

One question I have is how bad is mosquito problems? I see that homes are literally surrounded by waters.

When I first moved to Weston in 2000, the mosquitos were crazy. Then the city and the county started to spray for them, and they all but disappeared. Not a problem anymore for many many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
@BNBR & Wizrap - thank you so much for your detailed reply. Extremely helpful. I am clearly a newbie to So FL and thought Weston was part of Miami! I'll continue to read through the forums to gather more info but nothing beats visiting one of these days.

I am reading there is a pretty decent Korean population in Weston? I noticed a couple restaurants in the town center. Are there specific parts of Weston that attract more Koreans/Asians?

Thanks again.
Many Miamians don't even know about Weston Or know that it is a place way out in the country.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
@BNBR & Wizrap - thank you so much for your detailed reply. Extremely helpful. I am clearly a newbie to So FL and thought Weston was part of Miami! I'll continue to read through the forums to gather more info but nothing beats visiting one of these days.

I am reading there is a pretty decent Korean population in Weston? I noticed a couple restaurants in the town center. Are there specific parts of Weston that attract more Koreans/Asians?

Thanks again.

I am pretty sure that Ike, the owner of Ike's Barber Shop in Weston Town Center, is Korean.

There are actually quite a few Asian families in Weston.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:23 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Quote:
Great suggestions! So far, I don't have a set commute other than being able to get to an airport. Based on google maps, looks like FLL is within 30-40min and MIA 40-50min?
Yes, the commute time to the Fort Lauderdale airport is accurate. It is a breeze taking I595 direct. Never flew from Miami as that airport is a giant beehive compared to Fort Lauderdale.

You will fit right in at Weston; it is a multi-national community. On my block alone, we had neighbors who were born in Cuba, Brazil, Venezuela, Orlando, Canada, Jamaica, Italy and India. Definitely United Nations! And we all got along.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:51 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Great suggestions! So far, I don't have a set commute other than being able to get to an airport. Based on google maps, looks like FLL is within 30-40min and MIA 40-50min?
Depends where in Weston you live, but FLL shouldn't take anywhere near 40 minutes. I'm just outside of Weston and I often get there in under 20 minutes. Miami is about 40+ minutes. If you just need to have easy access to the airport, then Weston becomes an obvious choice. It gives you great access to both major airports.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Yes, the commute time to the Fort Lauderdale airport is accurate. It is a breeze taking I595 direct. Never flew from Miami as that airport is a giant beehive compared to Fort Lauderdale.

You will fit right in at Weston; it is a multi-national community. On my block alone, we had neighbors who were born in Cuba, Brazil, Venezuela, Orlando, Canada, Jamaica, Italy and India. Definitely United Nations! And we all got along.
You haven't flown lately, have you? Lol. The airports have essentially switched. FLL is often more of a disaster than Miami nowadays. Miami is a fantastic airport, actually. Easy. FLL overbuilt and doesn't have the infrastructure to manage the passenger flow. Both airports are fine (don't want to scare OP!), but FLL has it's moments of chaos for sure.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:05 AM

63 posts, read 160,275 times
Again, big thanks to everyone for your input. My only reservation is higher property tax relative to say Tampa/Clearwater area. But certainly you get what you paid for awesome schools and safe/uniform neighborhoods. I don't mind getting an older home and "refresh" kitchen/baths but I presume assessors will eventually catch up to you?

Old 10-06-2020, 10:27 AM

63 posts, read 160,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Depends where in Weston you live, but FLL shouldn't take anywhere near 40 minutes. I'm just outside of Weston and I often get there in under 20 minutes. Miami is about 40+ minutes. If you just need to have easy access to the airport, then Weston becomes an obvious choice. It gives you great access to both major airports.

BNBR - I see that you live in Davie... looks like a very nice area - albeit higher price range but curious to hear your thoughts? High priority for us is good schools but seeing newer construction caught my attention. Thanks

Old 10-06-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
BNBR - I see that you live in Davie... looks like a very nice area - albeit higher price range but curious to hear your thoughts? High priority for us is good schools but seeing newer construction caught my attention. Thanks
What is your price range? Weston is more expensive than Davie, but Davie has quite expensive neighborhoods (like where I live). The schools are quite good in Davie as well (I have school aged children). For schools, it's pretty straight forward. Davie, Weston, and Cooper City is where you want to look.

Last edited by BNBR; 10-06-2020 at 11:06 AM..

Old 10-06-2020, 12:38 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
You haven't flown lately, have you? Lol. The airports have essentially switched. FLL is often more of a disaster than Miami nowadays. Miami is a fantastic airport, actually. Easy. FLL overbuilt and doesn't have the infrastructure to manage the passenger flow. Both airports are fine (don't want to scare OP!), but FLL has it's moments of chaos for sure.
Don’t want to derail OP’s thread but yes, it’s probably been 10 years or so the last time I flew out of FTL. Last flight was 3 years ago out of Orlando. Drove down from Gainesville as we couldn’t get a direct flight. One thing I do miss is being close to a large airport.

To the OP, we lived in North Lakes and always found the drive to FTL pretty quick, usually 30 minutes or so. Just go a couple of blocks north on Indian Trace, jump on I595, and straight shot, you are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami