Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:24 PM

57 posts, read 87,324 times

Advertisements

Returning to Miami after leaving end of last year. Lived in Brickell in 2016 and didn't enjoy it, yes, the condos are nice and luxurious but I didn't really feel 'at home' living in the middle of Miami's financial district, especially during the weekends when there weren't many people around until 9pm. I did enjoy the young crowd though and tried to take advantage of meetups and Internation events to meet women. I'm in my 30s, straight male hetero.

This time, I'm looking at North Beach, particularly the area around 65th and Indian Creek or 65th and Collins (Peloro or Bel-Aire on Ocean condos).

I never spent much time there but only cruised around once or twice, so was hoping someone can tell me (esp. those who live there) what life is like there. I'm not looking for SoBe atmosphere but I'm also not looking for ultra quiet/Bal Harbour resident types. More like people in there mid 20s to late 30s, nice nightlife within walking distance, safe (read on here about Sec. 8 housing and crime in North Beach??) and decent traffic conditions.

All opinions welcome and thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 07:50 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,073,637 times
I live right in the area to which you're referring, but I'm not sure that I could tell you anything about it that we didn't cover when we had this discussion last year when you completely dismissed the idea of living in NoBe.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/miami...ami-beach.html

As I said then, I really like this area because of its walkability and its proximity to many restaurants, little drinking spots, shops, library, post office, and the O Cinema (of which I'm a member). But I'm a good bit older than you, so if it is a thriving nightlife that you seek, you need to look elsewhere. In fact, last year you stated that this area reminded you of a "snoozy village" in North San Diego, so I'm not sure why you are now considering moving here.

Be that as it may, for another view of North Beach, check out this travel article from the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.cb818694d729

And this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJRwn7oxkH4

Old 06-10-2017, 08:45 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,375,051 times
North Beach is great and is getting better. Its actually a great area to buy right now with the 5 year plan that is underway. Once they revamp Ocean Terrace, it will really make North Beach a more popular place to live/visit. The Bandshell is cool, they have food truck parties often, the beach isn't as crowded (especially during the week), parking is much easier, the new publix is very nice. No real 'nightlife' that I'm aware of besides some late night bars.

Definitely recommend the 67th to 70th areas or living in OceanBlue at 7600 Collins. 71st to 73rd is a little too busy for my tastes as far as living year round.

Peloro is nice but I'd prefer Bel-Aire because its on the ocean vs the bay. Although Peloro is a brand new building. Eden House next door is nice and a little bit south is Terra Beachside, which is an awesome community. (the 5th floor 2-story units have rooftop patios with grills and /or hottubs and views of the ocean were has the 1st floor units are 2 story lofts with private patios and entrances off the street).

I have clients living in all the above mentioned buildings and they all seem to like/love it with everyone renewing their leases. Terra Beachside would be in the $3500-$5000 range. Eden House would be cheaper than all the rest but their floor plans aren't that big. Peloro and Eden House have great bay views from their balconies too. However, the buildings aren't 100% occupied so don't expect much of a social scene or making bonds with your neighbors. They were sold to investors and a lot have been trying to dump them or just rent them seasonally. Terra has more year round tenants, families, professionals ,etc. Bel-aire has a mix of seasonal and year round people with friendly building staff.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-10-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I live right in the area to which you're referring, but I'm not sure that I could tell you anything about it that we didn't cover when we had this discussion last year when you completely dismissed the idea of living in NoBe.

Well, forgot that we even had this conversation! But you are right, it still does remind me of a snoozy village but maybe because I'm getting older and the nightlife isn't too far away anyways, that's what I'm looking at. My first option was Coconut Grove but much higher rents and the second time around, I thought that if I'm going to live in Miami, might as well live for what it's known for, the beaches. Thanks for the reminder and I'll go back and look at the thread again

Old 06-10-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
North Beach is great and is getting better. Its actually a great area to buy right now with the 5 year plan that is underway. Once they revamp Ocean Terrace, it will really make North Beach a more popular place to live/visit. The Bandshell is cool, they have food truck parties often, the beach isn't as crowded (especially during the week), parking is much easier, the new publix is very nice. No real 'nightlife' that I'm aware of besides some late night bars.
Thanks Marc! I'm leaning towards Bel-Aire since it's on the ocean as well. I love looking at the bay but there's no utility there for me - my last apt in Brickell had awesome bay views but all I could do was marvel at it - nothing more.

In any case, I suspected that about Peloro - probably same about more than half of luxury condos in Miami. Generally speaking, what is the average age of your clients that renew in that area? Do you see many in their 20s and 30s coming in? Thanks again.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothrakirider View Post
In any case, I suspected that about Peloro - probably same about more than half of luxury condos in Miami. Generally speaking, what is the average age of your clients that renew in that area? Do you see many in their 20s and 30s coming in? Thanks again.
Given that I use the internet a lot, don't spend $ on advertising, my target demographic for me is 25-38 for the bulk of my clients. I do get some each year in the 40-60 range but they tend to be tech savvy, rely on reviews, etc.

So yes, most of my clients that move to the area are in your demographic. Most don't go for Peloro or Eden House, despite it being very nice and brand new. A lot used to go to 401 BLU but its been awhile since I've done a rental there and the building has changed a lot over the years.

If I had a client who was in their early to mid 30s, single/married, no kids, white collar job & income, I'd put them in Ocean Blue (7600 Collins), Bel-Aire, Terra Beachside, the (former) Canyon Ranch (if budget permits), or The Collins (6917 Collins). The lofts at 7718 Collins aren't bad either if you get one with a rooftop patio but its boutique (no doorman, small pool).

Buildings that I Manage for my owners (like 7718 Carlyle) are all people in their late 20s to mid 30s.

There is still a good amount of retirees in the area, but the same can be said of South Beach (I know, shocking right!)

North Beach is good for 30 year olds that want to still have fun but don't want to live in South Beach or deal with all that comes with SoBe :-)

Old 06-10-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Given that I use the internet a lot, don't spend $ on advertising, my target demographic for me is 25-38 for the bulk of my clients. I do get some each year in the 40-60 range but they tend to be tech savvy, rely on reviews, etc.
Marc, thanks for this, exactly what I needed. I also thought about buying but don't know how long (at least a year) I'll be in Miami for and the high number of days on market I've seen for both sales and rentals is scary, thus foregoing that option.

I'm working with a realtor friend now but if things change I'll reach out to you - you seem quite knowledgeable. Either way, hope I can buy you a drink should I make it to North Beach - high chance that I will I believe - that offer goes out to you too MadManofBethesda.

Different thread, but thanks for your assist on finding an RA - just got a good referral so will be checking that out.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Marc, thanks for this, exactly what I needed. I also thought about buying but don't know how long (at least a year) I'll be in Miami for and the high number of days on market I've seen for both sales and rentals is scary, thus foregoing that option.

I'm working with a realtor friend now but if things change I'll reach out to you - you seem quite knowledgeable. Either way, hope I can buy you a drink should I make it to North Beach - high chance that I will I believe - that offer goes out to you too MadManofBethesda.
No problem, that's what I/we are here for.

I'll take you up on that offer too, I always like meeting people from the forums.

Regarding sales, if you don't play on being in Miami long and don't want to be a landlord, then don't bother trying to purchase. Its a good time to buy if there were certain buildings you always wanted to live in and now can get a decent deal on one, or you wanted something to buy and live in, then later rent out. Those are the people that are still buying in Miami Beach right now, along with 2nd homeowners from the North East or people that came into money recently in foreign countries.

For me, I'd scoop up these (remaining) cheap studios/1br's in these 8-16 unit buildings around NoBe and wait for someone to come buy them up and knock them down like in Hollywood Beach. The historic preservation only extends so far past the ocean/collins so really it would just come down to a zoning change/variance one day. Plus, they are super easy to rent out so you could make a little money while you wait 2-5 years....

Good luck on the (potential) move!

Old 06-10-2017, 09:50 PM

Btw, I was reading about flooding problems in Mb. Is it such a deal and often that it makes living there an issue?

Old 06-12-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Btw, I was reading about flooding problems in Mb. Is it such a deal and often that it makes living there an issue?
I live in North Miami off Biscayne. I couldn't take my scooter out for a few days, even after the rain stopped, because the intersection by my street and the area around Biscayne & 151st was too badly flooded, as well as the parking lot of our Publix.

Flooding can happen anywhere, at least Miami Beach has raised the streets in the bad area and put in new drainage pipes. Not nearly as bad as it was 4-5 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami