Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 08:44 PM

14 posts, read 16,766 times

Advertisements

We are planning to go on a closed-loop cruise leaving from Miami to Bahamas and Tortola, British Virgin Islands. We are citizens of Moldova holding biometric passports and U.S. visas, but do not have the visas for the British Virgin Islands. Since it's a closed-loop cruise, and we'll only be staying one day in Tortola, will we be able to go on the cruise?

Thank you very much for any info or any personal experience with the cruise passport control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:44 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,631,156 times
Isn't this a better question for the Cruise Line you will be travelling on? I'm sure they will have a better answer for you than on some anonymous internet forum such as this.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:57 AM

378 posts, read 488,015 times
The cruise line should be able to confirm, but it would appear that you would not need a visa as you currently hold a US visa and would be visiting for tourism.

Ports of Entry | The British Virgin Islands
Required documents include: ships papers and valid passports for all crew and passengers from their country of origin U.S. and Canadian citizens will need a passport or an original or notarized copy of their birth certificate and photo ID to enter the BVI. To re-enter the U.S. or Canada, you will need a passport OR a photo ID and Dept. of State official proof of application for a passport, or a "passport receipt". Visitors from some countries may also require a visa for entry. Please check the Entry Requirements section for more information.

Entry Requirements | The British Virgin Islands
From Europe:
European citizens need a valid passport to enter the British Virgin Islands. However visitors that are residents of certain countries require a visa in order to enter the BVI.

Visas | The British Virgin Islands (Maldova is on the list that requires a visa assuming you do not meet the exemption below)
Effective September 1st, 2016, this policy will allow nationals of a country where BVI visas are required, who hold a UK, US or Canada visas and are visiting the BVI for Business or tourism related matters, to enter and remain for a period of less than six (6) months, without the need for a visa.

Holders of current and valid visas issued by the United Kingdom, United States or Canada should have six (6) months of validity or use prior to travel to the BVI. Furthermore, the exemption would only apply to visits of six months or less.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:16 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,360,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Isn't this a better question for the Cruise Line you will be travelling on? I'm sure they will have a better answer for you than on some anonymous internet forum such as this.
Was thinking the same thing lol

Old 06-05-2017, 09:59 AM

Thank you all for your replies. However, I didn't receive an answer to my main question. Will they let us on board in Miami? How lenient is the cruise passport control?

Old 06-05-2017, 10:01 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,996,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolobokk View Post
Thank you all for your replies. However, I didn't receive an answer to my main question. Will they let us on board in Miami? How lenient is the cruise passport control?
No idea, honestly this is a question better for the cruise line instead of trusting such an important question on random strangers online. There aren't many people here from your country, so if you were asking from a Canadian perspective it would be a different story.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolobokk View Post
Will they let you board? Sure (It's closed loop as you stated). Will they let you disembark at ports of call - That would be up to the locations visa requirements, which from my quote above doesn't seem to be an issue...but I don't represent the British Virgin Islands or chosen cruise line so a quick call to them would be your best bet

Old 06-05-2017, 12:59 PM

bmw335xi, MyITGuy,
Of course, we went to the cruise office, but they do not know anything there. They say that the problems with our visas are our problems.

We need to find out if we can go on a ship in the port of Miami without a British visa?

Old 06-05-2017, 01:09 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,860,532 times
1. Contact your nearest British Consulate or Embassy with the question

2. Search for United and Timatic on your search engine of choice - it's air travel based but probably the best immigration rules database easily accessible by the public

Old 06-05-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
1. Contact your nearest British Consulate or Embassy with the question

2. Search for United and Timatic on your search engine of choice - it's air travel based but probably the best immigration rules database easily accessible by the public
3 - Look up to my post above that contains several links directly from the British Virgin Islands website and seems to answer the OPs question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: