Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 02:50 PM

128 posts, read 163,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Right, but have you tried plants plus occasional exhaust fan? Since the space will be only 300sqft, which is much smaller than I was thinking, the costs shouldn't be so much though. I was thinking a full apartment size, which could easily have cost several hundred dollars a month in electricity if not more if it was a large apt. Still, if you're worried about electronics, using the circulation a little less and relying on plants for a portion of it might help limit damage.

Now that I looked into these plants, I am thinking about getting some of these species myself!
Thanks.
No, i havent tried the plants yet. I had put it on the back-burner because i thought they released only Co2 at night. So i'm going to have to revisit this.

I may just have to plan on replacing all my appliances every few years. Seriously. That's how much better i feel with fresh air with low Co2. It's the difference between being productive and not being productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 05:33 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillS111 View Post
Thanks.
No, i havent tried the plants yet. I had put it on the back-burner because i thought they released only Co2 at night. So i'm going to have to revisit this.

I may just have to plan on replacing all my appliances every few years. Seriously. That's how much better i feel with fresh air with low Co2. It's the difference between being productive and not being productive.

Health is worth a great deal. I understand doing whatever it takes, and what you know to work for you.

I was under the understanding that plants release less CO2 than the oxygen they release. Also, if some of these plants release oxygen at night as the articles state above, maybe you can get enough plants that release it at night, as well as those that release during the day, to make a significant impact around the clock. Maybe it's something to experiment with for fun in the future, even while you may be using the ventilation system to ensure the safety of your health.

I would think if you just budget the money to replace appliances as needed, then you can just see if they get corroded early or not. And maybe you will think to update this thread years from now to let us know of the results of your experiment! I'm sure many beach-front people would want to know.

If you were still wondering about this topic though, you might want to post to the general FL forum, because it is likely you would get more answers. Miami tends to have a very transient population and most people who may post here haven't lived here a decade. You would have access to far more ocean-front people probably in the whole state, than just the Miami forum, if you felt you still wanted to poll more people.

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-04-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Health is worth a great deal. I understand doing whatever it takes, and what you know to work for you.

I was under the understanding that plants release less CO2 than the oxygen they release. Also, if some of these plants release oxygen at night as the articles state above, maybe you can get enough plants that release it at night, as well as those that release during the day, to make a significant impact around the clock. Maybe it's something to experiment with for fun in the future, even while you may be using the ventilation system to ensure the safety of your health.

I would think if you just budget the money to replace appliances as needed, then you can just see if they get corroded early or not. And maybe you will think to update this thread years from now to let us know of the results of your experiment! I'm sure many beach-front people would want to know.

If you were still wondering about this topic though, you might want to post to the general FL forum, because it is likely you would get more answers. Miami tends to have a very transient population and most people who may post here haven't lived here a decade. You would have access to far more ocean-front people probably in the whole state, than just the Miami forum, if you felt you still wanted to poll more people.

Good luck with your move!
Thank you! You have been of fantastic help! I keep trying to positive rate your posts, but the system wont let me do more than a few.

It gets tricky with the Co2..... even if a plant emits o2, i think if it emits *any* Co2, it will be bad because it raises the Co2 ppm. I cant remember the exact chemistry, but it's something like that. When i first felt better from a 'fresh air experiment', i thought it was from more o2 from fresh air, but after talking to a chemist, i realized i was wrong. It was from lower Co2, which means less displacement of o2 in the blood.

But yes, i think there's so many variables, that i just need to experiment and test out different plants.

Great idea! I will post this in the FL forum.
Cheers!

Old 08-04-2014, 06:26 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillS111 View Post
Thank you! You have been of fantastic help! I keep trying to positive rate your posts, but the system wont let me do more than a few.

It gets tricky with the Co2..... even if a plant emits o2, i think if it emits *any* Co2, it will be bad because it raises the Co2 ppm.

Lol, thanks - I think they make you alternate who you rate, so you don't do the same person more than once in a row.

I am no expert on this. But I think plants give off more oxygen, and overall remove more CO2 from the air, than they add CO2 to the air. Think of the outdoors - if all the plants on Earth added more CO2 than they took away, we would be dead because there would not be enough oxygen. People are trying to save forests because they lower CO2 overall, keep the planet's temp. stable, and add a lot of O2. That's not very precise science, but I'm pretty sure it's true. So if they're easy to care for and not expensive, and they also filter the air of other impurities that might harm your sensitive system, plus they don't add salt to the air, it would seem like overall a beneficial thing to add them to your lifestyle if the goal is to lower CO2. Checking with actual botanists might help on this one though. Or just experimentation to see what works best while you're chillin' in your new beach lifestyle.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Lol, thanks - I think they make you alternate who you rate, so you don't do the same person more than once in a row.

I am no expert on this. But I think plants give off more oxygen, and overall remove more CO2 from the air, than they add CO2 to the air. Think of the outdoors - if all the plants on Earth added more CO2 than they took away, we would be dead because there would not be enough oxygen. People are trying to save forests because they lower CO2 overall, keep the planet's temp. stable, and add a lot of O2. That's not very precise science, but I'm pretty sure it's true. So if they're easy to care for and not expensive, and they also filter the air of other impurities that might harm your sensitive system, plus they don't add salt to the air, it would seem like overall a beneficial thing to add them to your lifestyle if the goal is to lower CO2. Checking with actual botanists might help on this one though. Or just experimentation to see what works best while you're chillin' in your new beach lifestyle.
Great points! you rock!
Yes, how could i have forgotten that? Humans breathe in o2, plants breathe in Co2 generally. So yes, maybe the net effect is more o2 and less Co2 from plants. Awesome! I have to buy some and test this out asap.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami