Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 04:14 PM

10 posts, read 9,736 times

Advertisements

I parked a 16 ft box truck at my mother's house for one day and she got a fine from the county for $500(commercial vehicle parked in residential area for more than 1 hour). Can she appeal it and say it is not her vehicle and she did not know about it since she was at work? Will they end up giving me the fine? The truck is registered to another address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 05:15 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
Was this the first time you parked there? Usually the county gives a warning the first time, the second time they'll fine you.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:44 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
The only way is to deny everything. The kangaroo court Miami-Dade uses is a joke, you will be convicted regardless of guilt. Just have her go to the county gestapo headquarters on Coral Way and the Turnpike, and say it is a mistake. Then if they do not listen go to the Mayor's office and file a complaint. If you do have to go to kangaroo court bring a court reporter, as you will have to file in circuit court to get any justice.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:22 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,013,887 times
She can say she was not in control of the truck and never told you to park the truck there and once it was there she had no way of moving it and have the fin moved to you or the company of the truck I guess.

I would suggest she does not lie in court.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:35 PM

Code enforcement always lies in "court" and they refuse to do anything about it. I had a customer who was fined 10,000 dollars for not getting his elevator inspected....and he lives in a single family home! The Kangaroo court refused to dismiss the case despite the code enforcement agent lying about the elevator. A simple meeting with the assistant of Carlos Gimenez and the case was dropped. I had another friend who got a code enforcement agent mad and they tried to condemn his home. Do not feel bad about denying all pictures they show you as they often make "evidence" up.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxinvasion2 View Post
I parked a 16 ft box truck at my mother's house for one day and she got a fine from the county for $500(commercial vehicle parked in residential area for more than 1 hour). Can she appeal it and say it is not her vehicle and she did not know about it since she was at work? Will they end up giving me the fine? The truck is registered to another address.
By the way they cannot give you a fine unless you park it on "your property". The way the county gets around due process is by fining the property not a person. That way it is guilty until proven innocent. The use "preponderance of evidence" which allows them to make up anything and puts the burden of proof on you. Whenever I see one of them in the county Prius I make sure give them a big smoke cloud. I have to admit to thinking of worse things too.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:30 PM

10 posts, read 9,736 times
I will update as my hearing is today at 11 a.m.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,902,366 times
Is there really a law about not parking a commercial vehicle in a residential area for more than an hour??? How do service people finish jobs in an hour? That seems strange to me. Any little thing you have done in your home can easily take a couple of hours and usually more. What is the company supposed to do with the vehicle?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:21 AM

471 posts, read 621,801 times
Miami is becoming the land of the "Not so free".

Old 07-23-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Is there really a law about not parking a commercial vehicle in a residential area for more than an hour??? How do service people finish jobs in an hour? That seems strange to me. Any little thing you have done in your home can easily take a couple of hours and usually more. What is the company supposed to do with the vehicle?
Not only "commercial" but campers, boats and the like. The bottom line is the county wants money, and they want to take it from easy targets, the "property owners". I use quotes because the county actually owns all property, you can merely lease it from them. One interesting thing, if you ever catch the code enforcement agent taking pictures run in front of them and they will stop. For some reason they cannot use pictures if a person is in view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: