Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:31 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,942,754 times

Advertisements

Was it the County or the municipality? They can be much more strict than the County. Usually the County wouldn't care unless it's a blatant violation going on several days and a neighbour calls it in. 1 hour limit for service vehicles does sound a bit extreme, since almost anything significant done by a contractor is going to take longer than an hour. So I'm curious exactly which City this was in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 10:59 AM

10 posts, read 9,727 times
Okay so I just got back from the hearing. I lost. The owner of the house is responsible for anything that happens on their property. Even if the warning time line was one hour.so basically I can park my box truck at others people's houses and then call the county to issue them a fine since it's on their property for more than an hour.

There goes $500....

Old 07-23-2014, 11:18 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxinvasion2 View Post
I parked a 16 ft box truck at my mother's house for one day and she got a fine from the county for $500(commercial vehicle parked in residential area for more than 1 hour). Can she appeal it and say it is not her vehicle and she did not know about it since she was at work? Will they end up giving me the fine? The truck is registered to another address.
They shouldn't have to "end up" giving you the fine and your mother shouldn't have to appeal it. You should pay it, because it was your doing.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:08 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Quote:
I parked a 16 ft box truck at my mother's house for one day and she got a fine from the county for $500(commercial vehicle parked in residential area for more than 1 hour). Can she appeal it and say it is not her vehicle and she did not know about it since she was at work? Will they end up giving me the fine? The truck is registered to another address.
16' box truck is not a large truck. Wonder how movers and multi-room furnishings deliveries are considered?

Old 07-23-2014, 05:48 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,901,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Not only "commercial" but campers, boats and the like. The bottom line is the county wants money, and they want to take it from easy targets, the "property owners". I use quotes because the county actually owns all property, you can merely lease it from them. One interesting thing, if you ever catch the code enforcement agent taking pictures run in front of them and they will stop. For some reason they cannot use pictures if a person is in view.
How is this law possible? My husband never takes less than an hour when he's doing a job in someone's home. I can see if it's your boat or camper or truck, they want you parking it in a garage or in the back yard, but how can they fine you for any commercial vehicle in your driveway over an hour? Even my exterminator is here longer than that!

Old 07-23-2014, 07:16 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,973,894 times
Quote:
if you ever catch the code enforcement agent taking pictures run in front of them and they will stop. For some reason they cannot use pictures if a person is in view.
Quote:
Whenever I see one of them in the county Prius I make sure give them a big smoke cloud. I have to admit to thinking of worse things too.
Thanks for the tips

Old 07-23-2014, 09:13 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
Quote:
Okay so I just got back from the hearing. I lost. The owner of the house is responsible for anything that happens on their property. Even if the warning time line was one hour.so basically I can park my box truck at others people's houses and then call the county to issue them a fine since it's on their property for more than an hour.

There goes $500....
Now you know it is really a kangaroo court. Next time deny everything and demand a reinspection. Remember they are not police officers and cannot get a search warrant. I got that info directly from Rundle.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
16' box truck is not a large truck. Wonder how movers and multi-room furnishings deliveries are considered?
I know someone who was fined for loading a U-haul when he moved in, what a way to welcome a new resident. I did help him get off by denying everything. Most deliveries are from the street and therefore out of the reach of code enforcement. Once I had a code Nazi trying to fine my parents for a branch that fell off of a street tree in the swale. I happened to be mowing the lawn and the time and when he came out of the car I challenged him. In fact I threw the branch at the county vehicle as he sped away.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:32 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,901,478 times
So service people are supposed to finish a job in under an hour???? How is that possible? You can't park in the street. How can you move in or out in under an hour? Have flooring installed? A kitchen put in? A washer repaired? Cable TV installation? This whole thing sounds very weird. Maybe the fine was because the commercial vehicle was your own and not someone doing a job?

Old 07-24-2014, 06:38 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
So service people are supposed to finish a job in under an hour???? How is that possible? You can't park in the street. How can you move in or out in under an hour? Have flooring installed? A kitchen put in? A washer repaired? Cable TV installation?
Of course not. Common sense should tell you that the individual in the thread referring to Nazis and kangaroo courts doesn't have the slightest idea of what he is talking about. There is no time limit for commercial vehicles parked in front of a home performing a service. Here is the info from the Miami-Dade government website:

Miami-Dade County - Building - Commercial Vehicle Parking & Storage

As for the one-hour time limit that the OP is referring to, he has misinterpreted what that is in reference to. It is from a different section of the ordinance titled storage or parking of vehicles on private property and pertains to the owner of the commercial vehicle making a convenience stop in front of (presumably) his own residence. It is the property owner's responsibility to know who or what is parked on his or her own property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
This whole thing sounds very weird. Maybe the fine was because the commercial vehicle was your own and not someone doing a job?
That's exactly what the fine was for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: