Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 12:07 PM

433 posts, read 1,013,435 times

Advertisements

So a little background from me first:

I came down to Florida from New England in 2009 came to Daytona and got a job serving.

I could not have asked for a better experience and even though my roomates ended up moving back to New York i met a bunch of cool people and had great experiences. Ended up getting a job in the cell phone industry in a call center, moving into a house in Orlando with a bunch of buddies, and finding a cool girlfriend in one of the suburbs between Orlando and Tampa.

I found that people come and go here and the culture is harder to read and less direct but it was so easy to make new friends that i was just happy with the weather, the opportunities, and the fact that it always seemed like i could make descent money to pay the bills and have some fun.

Fast forward to today:

For the first time i'm finding it harder to make friends and find roomates. Most the people i have met have moved away or got their own things going on and now i find myself feeling like im back to starting from ground 0. This time around i'm finding it harder than a few years ago. Ive worked a lot but have tried various things and have not had too much luck.

I got a buddy down in South Florida who just moved down there and says i should too. My concerns?

1) Jobs. I could transfer with the one i have at the call center but i want to make more money than that place can provide and i have heard the jobs are harder to come by down there. Seems like a lot of people i know struggle with the costs of living too.

2) Superficial. One of the only things that bothers me about the culture around here is that people tend to judge you a lot faster and based on petty things. If you don't look the part they don't even want to talk to you. This of course is not everyone but it's prominent enough that i can notice a huge difference between where i live now and New England when i go back and visit. Ive heard that South Florida is even MORE superficial than Orlando and i am not going to play the game of having the nicest watch or car ect.

3) More of the same. Is it really going to be THAT different down there for me?

Ive been down to South Florida 5 times and really enjoyed it every single time i visited. I enjoyed my night out in Delray beach. Enjoyed my night out in West Palm. Enjoyed Fort Lauderdale although it was a little more ghetto than the other places. Also loved the two times i went to Sobe.

I DID notice i went through a lot of money though. Also things seemed spread out and less compact than Orlando. I DIDN'T feel like people were any more or less friendly in fact there seemed to be a more diverse mix of people and more intelligent people to talk to. I DID notice the stuck up energy coming from some of the people but seemed like there were more of other types of people than in Orlando. In Orlando you just got thugs and then stuck up people with no reason to be stuck up. At least the stuck up ones in South Florida i can kind of understand. Lol.

Point of all this is that im in my mid 30's and don't have anymore time to kill. I'm single again and i need to maximize my money making potential and step it up. If I'm going to move again i need to do it soon and make it count. So if i go down to South Florida and its not working out id probably be out pretty fast, maybe too fast, but is there even a point in trying it?? On the one hand I like the weather down here and all that there is to do. I like the idea that this is a destination for a lot of people. Seems like my chance to get rich would be more likely in south florida than New england. I like the idea of trying out Florida out one more time in a new location and enjoying what's left of the few years i have before i'm too old to benefit from it. However another part of me seems to want to return to the stability and more realistic expectations of New England where it may be easier to start a family and be appreciated. I also have most of my family up there.

Anyways anyone with any advice would be great. Basically what i really want to know Is if living in South Florida is REALLY all that much different or more of the same as living in Orlando. Should i just go back home or what?

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...#ixzz37HLlYjjJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 01:32 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,761,828 times
Miami definitely has a high cost of living. Also, living among Miami's heavily Hispanic population might be a culture shock for you. Most of the Hispanics here do speak English (contrary to popular belief), but there are also many who don't speak a word of English, and it's common to hear Spanish spoken in lots of public places.

Broward county might be a better option for you.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:37 PM

35,760 posts, read 21,122,405 times
Sound like you have some fears, so play it safe and just go with your gut instinct. Not all people are able to mingle with everyone. I am from there, lived In Tampa, Jacksonville and now in Orlando-- My pick- take Miami any-day-- but because of the kids -a big city not as wholesome sometimes to raise kids. if I had no family,,, I'd be in S Beach. What I find mostly in central Fl-is transplants,,,but those looking for big town not fast city life. It's much quieter and people more aloof, keep to themselves, have homier conversations- kids, golf- boating. Politics and sports,, In Miami its international thinking- fashion big money, clubs,fancy everything and travel.HIGH end and high maintenance. But you are young and have plenty of time to make changes.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:51 AM

683 posts, read 855,509 times
Um. I haven't lived in the Orlando area in quite some time, but I really have a hard time believing it's remotely as superficial as Miami. More of the same? I guarantee it will be worse for you. If you have a buddy already down here it is easier to adjust, but if you are expecting it to better than Orlando off what you discussed, you are going to be disappointed.

Miami is dominated by the Hispanic culture(mostly Cuban), so it maybe a shock for you because they are nothing like the Puerto Ricans in Orlando. Where the PR's assimilate more to the American culture, Cubans for the most part do not. As the previous poster said, Broward would be a better option. But within ten years it probably will be Hispanic dominated also.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:08 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,948,530 times
Miami can be a great place to live, but also a horrible place to build wealth, unless you're in banking, law, real estate, cosmetic surgery/dentistry, or HVAC. Many wealthy folks down here "got rich" somewhere else.

Since weather and beaches are not a major concern, depending on your priorities at this stage of your life, you may want to look in to New England or one of the midwestern "comeback cities," Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:00 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,903,299 times
Based on your post here, and in the state forum, I think you would absolutely hate living in Miami. Many many people post here complaining about how hard it is to find friends, to find non-superficial girlfriends, etc. And I don't understand your impression that it is easier to get rich in SFL than in New England - New England generally speaking has far more opportunities (and more diverse ones at that), with higher pay, than SFL is known to have. Florida is often spoken about as having the "Sunshine tax," meaning you get lower pay for your qualifications than you do up North, in exchange for the sunshine.

Perhaps you would like living further North, like in Broward or further up, but to test that I would recommend staying with your friend at least a week to see the actual daily grind, not vacation life, and to understand the costs which generally speaking are going to be higher than Orlando or anywhere in the Northern half of the state.

People-wise, it sounds like you might be happier back up North, where you can find somebody you relate to and settle down as it sounds like you want to do. Remember, that you can always come back to FL in the future, maybe with your new family. If you're going to try one last place here in FL, I really recommend it not be Miami... Miami just seems to be the epitome of everything you don't like, despite of course the great weather and tropical look of it. I would think Ft. Lauderdale or really ANYWHERE in the state would be a better fit. Miami has a lot of great things about it, but it is very expensive, hard to find well-paying jobs if you don't have a high degree or a lot of high-level work experience, an awful lot of superficial people especially in the dating scene, sort of an unfriendly and exclusionary vibe in other circles because people are very busy or because you don't share their culture, and personally I think an outrageously over-priced and under-maintained apartment system that is made to scam renters dry. It's not impossible to make it in Miami, but you have to really want what it has to offer badly.

Moving is expensive. It's best to spend the money on a place that at least has many of the things you're looking for. For someone who wants to find someone to start a family with, who does not come from a Latin background, and wants a higher-paying career but does not have a job lined up that will get you that, Miami is probably a really bad fit.

Also, if money is tight, before moving ask what you car insurance will be. Car insurance in Miami is one of the highest in the nation, as is rent-to-income ratio. Add up the cost of living first - you're going to find that you need to make a lot more just to be at the same standard of living in Miami as you had in Orlando.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Miami can be a great place to live, but also a horrible place to build wealth, unless you're in banking, law, real estate, cosmetic surgery/dentistry, or HVAC. Many wealthy folks down here "got rich" somewhere else.

Since weather and beaches are not a major concern, depending on your priorities at this stage of your life, you may want to look in to New England or one of the midwestern "comeback cities," Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids.
I know Lebron James would never admit it publicly, but I'm pretty sure one of the main reasons he left Miami because of the culture. One rumor was his family(not immediate) wasn't treated to great in Miami. Which is believable, they know who he is, but not his whole family.

Cleveland is extremely boring, but the people there are extremely nice. English is the first language, not much superficial going on up there. Coming from that culture one can imagine getting tired of Miami after awhile. Four years is long enough to see the city for what it really is. A great place for vacation but not to live.

Last edited by deboinair; 07-26-2014 at 08:06 AM..

Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,023,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
I know Lebron James would never admit it publicly, but I'm pretty sure one of the main reasons he left Miami because of the culture. One rumor was his family(not immediate) wasn't treated to great in Miami. Which is believable, they know who he is, but not his whole family.
This is comical this post, absolutely comical.

His friends did not like Miami because the Miami Heat organization did not give them open doors to everything. The Heat are a real championship type of organization and Lebron's friends were not going to get special treatment. That are the rumors you heard. Also this being Miami Lebron's friends are nobodies here, no one knows them as famous guys. In Cleveland they run the town. His wife, kids and mother loved Miami, and he said it himself that his wife and mother had to be convinced to go back to Cleveland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post

Miami is dominated by the Hispanic culture(mostly Cuban), so it maybe a shock for you because they are nothing like the Puerto Ricans in Orlando. Where the PR's assimilate more to the American culture, Cubans for the most part do not. As the previous poster said, Broward would be a better option. But within ten years it probably will be Hispanic dominated also.
Yea, ummm that comment is WAY off. Cubans have been in Miami since the 1950s, they have asslimlated by the far the most of all the Hispanic immigrants. (Puerto Ricans are not immigrants).

It is the new wave of Brazlians, Russians, Colombians, Argentinians and Venezuleans who do not assimilate as well, one of the reason of course is they are a newer immigrant population. But Cubans? Go to a Cuban home on Thanksgiving or July 4th and tell me they have not assimilated.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:37 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,023,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
So a little background from me first:

1) Jobs. I could transfer with the one i have at the call center but i want to make more money than that place can provide and i have heard the jobs are harder to come by down there. Seems like a lot of people i know struggle with the costs of living too.

2) Superficial. One of the only things that bothers me about the culture around here is that people tend to judge you a lot faster and based on petty things. If you don't look the part they don't even want to talk to you. This of course is not everyone but it's prominent enough that i can notice a huge difference between where i live now and New England when i go back and visit. Ive heard that South Florida is even MORE superficial than Orlando and i am not going to play the game of having the nicest watch or car ect.

3) More of the same. Is it really going to be THAT different down there for me?
Jobs: Jobs are not easy to come by anywhere in Florida. It all depends on what your skills are in.

Superficial: Yes, that is one of the negative aspects of Miami. People tend to exaggerate about it but just like LA, NYC and even D.C. in some aspect and Atlanta too Miami has superficial aspect to it. Most large coastal cities do, is Miami the worst of them? Maybe. LA is right there too.

Besides for that Miami will have more things to do than Orlando, more cultural activities, better food, better nightlife, more diversity, but it will also be more expensive to live in.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
This is comical this post, absolutely comical.

His friends did not like Miami because the Miami Heat organization did not give them open doors to everything. The Heat are a real championship type of organization and Lebron's friends were not going to get special treatment. That are the rumors you heard. Also this being Miami Lebron's friends are nobodies here, no one knows them as famous guys. In Cleveland they run the town. His wife, kids and mother loved Miami, and he said it himself that his wife and mother had to be convinced to go back to Cleveland.

Yea, ummm that comment is WAY off. Cubans have been in Miami since the 1950s, they have asslimlated by the far the most of all the Hispanic immigrants. (Puerto Ricans are not immigrants).

It is the new wave of Brazlians, Russians, Colombians, Argentinians and Venezuleans who do not assimilate as well, one of the reason of course is they are a newer immigrant population. But Cubans? Go to a Cuban home on Thanksgiving or July 4th and tell me they have not assimilated.

Ummm. Theses cultures are more susceptible to speak English more than Cubans so I would say they assimilate more to the American culture than Cubans. Never said PR's were immigrants but they have their on culture which is different from the USA. Orlando Publix with the high PR population you will find English. Doral/Flagler Publix with high Cuban population you will find Spanish, little English. Language is the biggest part when talking about the assimilating to another culture. This is not to say the Cubans don't speak English, but for the most part even if they do they would speak Spanish instead. I see it my job everyday. I can not wait to get another one so I return to the American culture.

No that isn't the rumor I heard at all. Coming from Cleveland I'm pretty sure he had enough. Do you really think he is going to say anything negative in the media? Before he made the decision to go back to Cleveland the WIFE posted a picture of Cleveland and said "Home Sweet Home" smh

Since when is the Heat a major Championship organization anyway? They bought all of them from Shaq to the Big Three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami