Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:18 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Ummm. Theses cultures are more susceptible to speak English more than Cubans so I would say they assimilate more to the American culture than Cubans. Never said PR's were immigrants but they have their on culture which is different from the USA. Orlando Publix with the high PR population you will find English. Doral/Flagler Publix with high Cuban population you will find Spanish, little English. Language is the biggest part when talking about the assimilating to another culture. This is not to say the Cubans don't speak English, but for the most part even if they do they would speak Spanish instead. I see it my job everyday. I can not wait to get another one so I return to the American culture.
You can't be sure. It's all speculation and you have no idea what's going through his mind. You don't even know this guy in person, you only know his public image. For all we know maybe he didn't like his teammates or managers. Maybe he hates the weather. Maybe a fortune teller told him he should go back to Cleveland. Maybe in a few years he will tell us the reasons why he left.

I doubt Mr James, family and friends had to deal much with the non English speaking crowd but who knows maybe his spend his nights going incognito to the Walmart in Hialeah and "El Palacio de los Jugos" in Flagler. It seems to me you think Lebron had the same experience as you did when he most likely lived in a very different environment. It looks like all of Lebron's coworkers speak English so I don't think he shares that job challenge with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 11:53 AM

683 posts, read 852,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
You can't be sure. It's all speculation and you have no idea what's going through his mind. You don't even know this guy in person, you only know his public image. For all we know maybe he didn't like his teammates or managers. Maybe he hates the weather. Maybe a fortune teller told him he should go back to Cleveland. Maybe in a few years he will tell us the reasons why he left.

I doubt Mr James, family and friends had to deal much with the non English speaking crowd but who knows maybe his spend his nights going incognito to the Walmart in Hialeah and "El Palacio de los Jugos" in Flagler. It seems to me you think Lebron had the same experience as you did when he most likely lived in a very different environment. It looks like all of Lebron's coworkers speak English so I don't think he shares that job challenge with you.
Definitely not saying I know what he is thinking. Just was going off the rumors. He may not have had to deal with non english speaking as much, but there is now way around it here. He did deal with the superficial things down here. I was no way comparing his experience to mine. I should have clarified better. Basically what I was saying is Cleveland is a down to earth kind of place. Miami is not. I've notice people who come from places like that tend to go back once they get that "Miami Vibe" out of them.

One article Lebron James said that Miami was that "college feeling" he never got to experience. I guess the clubs, partying, etc he was referring to. The funny thing this is he stayed as long as a college student is in school. FOUR YEARS. LOL

Last edited by deboinair; 07-26-2014 at 12:04 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 05:34 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Quote:
Ummm. Theses cultures are more susceptible to speak English more than Cubans so I would say they assimilate more to the American culture than Cubans. Never said PR's were immigrants but they have their on culture which is different from the USA. Orlando Publix with the high PR population you will find English. Doral/Flagler Publix with high Cuban population you will find Spanish, little English. Language is the biggest part when talking about the assimilating to another culture. This is not to say the Cubans don't speak English, but for the most part even if they do they would speak Spanish instead. I see it my job everyday. I can not wait to get another one so I return to the American culture.

No that isn't the rumor I heard at all. Coming from Cleveland I'm pretty sure he had enough. Do you really think he is going to say anything negative in the media? Before he made the decision to go back to Cleveland the WIFE posted a picture of Cleveland and said "Home Sweet Home" smh

Since when is the Heat a major Championship organization anyway? They bought all of them from Shaq to the Big Three.
What are you talking about? Those are the cultures least likely to speak English in Miami. Every Publix has English. The Orlando Publix will have more English because there are a significantly smaller amount of Spanish speakers in Orlando compared to Miami. And a large portion of them are from Puerto Rico a territory of the United States where English is taught in schools.

I'm not going to discuss the Lebron stuff. You are way off on everything stated but its not worth debating about.

One thing: The Miami Heat are easily a top 10 NBA Franchise and are placed in the top 5-7 for most people that know about the history of the league. LBJ said it himself why he came to Miami, the Heat winning a championship before was part of the reason. I suggest you read his letter again.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:

One article Lebron James said that Miami was that "college feeling" he never got to experience. I guess the clubs, partying, etc he was referring to. The funny thing this is he stayed as long as a college student is in school. FOUR YEARS. LOL
You never actually read the letter did you? Another ridiculous statement.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
What are you talking about? Those are the cultures least likely to speak English in Miami. Every Publix has English. The Orlando Publix will have more English because there are a significantly smaller amount of Spanish speakers in Orlando compared to Miami. And a large portion of them are from Puerto Rico a territory of the United States where English is taught in schools.

I'm not going to discuss the Lebron stuff. You are way off on everything stated but its not worth debating about.

One thing: The Miami Heat are easily a top 10 NBA Franchise and are placed in the top 5-7 for most people that know about the history of the league. LBJ said it himself why he came to Miami, the Heat winning a championship before was part of the reason. I suggest you read his letter again.
Hey you can stay in denial all you want. I'm starting to even question if you live here or just some one that vacations here periodically. Or maybe you are Cuban and don't like my opinion. I've met all of said cultures and they spoke English. As a matter of fact I work with two Colombians that speak English. I love it when the Cubans speak Spanish to them and they return and speak English. I asked them why they do that. They said for one not to be rude like them because everybody in the office doesn't speak Spanish. Two they can't really understand the crap way they speak Spanish, so they would rather just speak English. I work in Miami and lived there for years before moving to Broward. I've seen the major changes that this city has been through. English is taught in a lot of countries, doesn't mean they speak it. You think every PR speaks English? Living in Orlando before I met some that didn't.

That is the whole point Einstein. There is more Spanish speaking down here vs. Orlando. Like I said and so did another poster. The OP could be in shock if he is not used to that. Try to keep before jumping in a convo.

The Heat won one championship before LBJ got here, that doesn't make them have a storied championship organization. smh. They pretty much bought their championships. When I think of teams that have a championship history I'm think of the Lakers, Bulls, Spurs, and Celtics. They all won championships for the most part by having good scouts and in return had great drafts. Heat are nowhere on that level even with buying Shaq, LBJ and Bosh. A top 10 NBA franchise? Sure why not. Some championship storied organization? Please get off the Meth. You won't be able to find a Heat fan come playoffs next season. All that going to a sportsbar three hours before the game crap is a thing of the past.

Last edited by deboinair; 07-26-2014 at 07:02 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
We have very different experiences with who speaks English over who does not. Sure there are Cubans who speak Spanish because there are more Cubans but you give me five Venezuelans, five Colombians and five Cubans chances are more Cubans will know how to speak English. Of course I am speaking those actually born in those countries.

As for the Heat stuff, you have the typical attitude that I have seen across the country from it. There is no reason to discuss it because no matter what I say it won't matter. I have seen that attitude about the Heat for years now. And like I said Miami is a top 5-7 team in NBA history. Celtic, Lakers, Bulls, Spurs as the clear top 4. Pistons, Sixers, Heat all have arguments for 5-7.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
We have very different experiences with who speaks English over who does not. Sure there are Cubans who speak Spanish because there are more Cubans but you give me five Venezuelans, five Colombians and five Cubans chances are more Cubans will know how to speak English. Of course I am speaking those actually born in those countries.

As for the Heat stuff, you have the typical attitude that I have seen across the country from it. There is no reason to discuss it because no matter what I say it won't matter. I have seen that attitude about the Heat for years now. And like I said Miami is a top 5-7 team in NBA history. Celtic, Lakers, Bulls, Spurs as the clear top 4. Pistons, Sixers, Heat all have arguments for 5-7.
Yes we do vacationer. I would love to make a wager on that. I will take the South American ANY DAY vs the free loading Cubans as far as speaking English. I'm talking about BORN in their countries.

I'm more of a football fan than NBA, but most will agree that the Heat can't be a historical championship team.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:25 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Let's stick to the topic please ... It's not basketball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami