Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:44 PM

408 posts, read 724,208 times

Advertisements

We frequently hear about how Cuban Miami is. I guess it's not surprising considering that majority of people residing in Miami were born in Cuba as opposed to being born in the US like other hispanic cities in the US. So I guess it brings me to the question of how American is Miami?

Is it difficult to live in Miami knowing english only? Do people celebrate Thanksgiving? Do children say the pledge of allegiance in schools? Is football (not soccer) the most popular sport? Do people sing the star spangled banner before games? Do people celebrate the 4th of July? Do people generally consider themselves American or just Cubans living in America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 05:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,143,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
We frequently hear about how Cuban Miami is. I guess it's not surprising considering that majority of people residing in Miami were born in Cuba as opposed to being born in the US like other hispanic cities in the US. So I guess it brings me to the question of how American is Miami?

Is it difficult to live in Miami knowing english only? Do people celebrate Thanksgiving? Do children say the pledge of allegiance in schools? Is football (not soccer) the most popular sport? Do people sing the star spangled banner before games? Do people celebrate the 4th of July? Do people generally consider themselves American or just Cubans living in America?
Your information is very inaccurate and offensive.

Miami has a very large population of Latinos from everywhere. There are also a lot of non Hispanic South Americans.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:06 PM

408 posts, read 724,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Your information is very inaccurate and offensive.

Miami has a very large population of Latinos from everywhere. There are also a lot of non Hispanic South Americans.
Forgive my ignorance, I didn't realize. I don't think I was being racist though. I do know however that most people in Miami were born abroad so that's why I wanted to ask how common were these American traditions in places like Miami and Hialeh.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:37 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,864,454 times
Quote:
We frequently hear about how Cuban Miami is.
It has its influences in areas, just as other areas have different influences. I would not say Miami is Cuban at all, has Cubans in it, but it is not "Cuban".

Quote:
I guess it's not surprising considering that majority of people residing in Miami were born in Cuba as opposed to being born in the US like other hispanic cities in the US. So I guess it brings me to the question of how American is Miami?
Depends on the definition of "American", and which part of America you are talking about. America is not a one culture country, which really makes Miami very American. I definitely find it better and more alive here than many other areas in the US, which those areas seem like people are just working and waiting to die, oh yes, and look forward to mowing the grass every week.

Quote:
Is it difficult to live in Miami knowing english only?
Not at all. I do not know any Spanish and never have any issues.

Quote:
Do people celebrate Thanksgiving?
Very much so, people here love celebrating things, more so than other areas in the US I have lived. (example 4th of July, good party atmosphere in Miami, while living in TN, people acted like it was a funeral and it was over in 15 minutes).

Quote:
Do children say the pledge of allegiance in schools?
I have no idea, I think it is idiotic to do so anyway.

Quote:
Is football (not soccer) the most popular sport?
This shows you really do not know anything about Miami; Miami is a basketball town, they love the Heat here. Sure, different bars and such will have some soccer event and people from that country will show up and make a party out of it (I will show up to just be in the scene), but Heat games are pretty universally popular here.

Quote:
Do people sing the star spangled banner before games?
Never paid attention, I think they do though.

Quote:
Do people celebrate the 4th of July?
See what I stated above, great party atmosphere, more so than most other places I have lived in the US, people in Miami are a festive bunch.

Quote:
Do people generally consider themselves American or just Cubans living in America?
My opinion is most people here that are Americans consider themselves American.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:43 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,143,488 times
Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, I didn't realize. I don't think I was being racist though. I do know however that most people in Miami were born abroad so that's why I wanted to ask how common were these American traditions in places like Miami and Hialeh.
No, you didn't come across as racist at all. Over generalizations are never a good idea.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:45 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,957,287 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=amer...iw=908&bih=699

Old 05-27-2014, 06:52 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,952,401 times
Miami very American.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:44 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,505,494 times
Miami is as American as Madrid is as Spanish as Liverpool.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:32 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,027,890 times
Quote:

Is it difficult to live in Miami knowing english only? No, not at all. I don't speak fluent Spanish, plenty of friends of mine speak zero Spanish and do just fine.

Do people celebrate Thanksgiving? Really? Yes of course we do. It is a national holiday. Cubans LOVE thanksgiving especially

Do children say the pledge of allegiance in schools? Yes, you understand Miami is located int he United States right?

Is football (not soccer) the most popular sport? For the professional sports the Miami Heat are by far the most popular team. Before 2005 it was the NFL team the Dolphins who have been in Miami since the 1960s. As for kids, Football (American Football) We call soccer, soccer here is the most popular sport. Miami is by far the most talent heavy college football recruting base in the U.S. Miami-Dade High School Football is the best in the U.S. no doubt about it.

Do people sing the star spangled banner before games? Yes, again really odd questions. Miami is located in the U.S. we have United States flags all over the place

Do people celebrate the 4th of July? Another very odd questions. I will let you figure out the answer

Do people generally consider themselves American or just Cubans living in America? Depends on who you ask. My grandparents and mother who were born in Cuba seen themselves as Americans, then Cubans but America is where they have had a great life. Both my parents were born outside the U.S. one in Cuba the other in Europe but I am 100% American and nothing else. Newer immigrants might see themselves as just from their country, maybe they are not citizens yet, maybe just here on a visa etc.. It all depends on who you ask. But myself, my family and the vast majority of Miami friends who's parents were born in other countries view themselves as Americans.
Answers in bold. But first off Miami is not all Cubans and most of the people in the Miami metro were not born in Cuba. It is a mix of a lot from all over Latin American, the United States, and Europe. Miami has the third largest Jewish population in the U.S. a large Russian population, a HUGE Haitian population etc.. People from all over the Caribbean, Europe and Latin America call Miami Home along with people from New York and Chicago, a large Black community etc..

Old 05-28-2014, 12:08 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,906,595 times
Quote:

Who is "we?" Can't tell by your post.

There are certain parts of Miami that it is very difficult to live without knowing Spanish. There are other parts where you don't need to know it.

And yes, all the American traditions and customs are done here but some will have a Latin influence. Thanksgiving may not involve eating turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami