Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 01:40 PM

683 posts, read 853,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I think the Spurs should worry about getting into the Finals first..
I believe they lose tonight, but win in San Antonio. So Podunk Texas vs Miami once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 10:05 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
According to the 2010 Census, MiamiDade County is just a tad over 51% foreign born. Of that 51%, and as others have pointed out, there are a lot of long time residents & naturalized citizens who are as "American" as the next guy. One of my best friends was born in Cuba but left at age 6. He knows no other country and you'd never guess he wasn't born in the US if you met him. The same is true for many, many others.
Within MiamiDade's many communities and among its 2.6 million residents, you'll find areas with a larger % of foreign born residents and areas with a smaller % of foreign born residents. It's not evenly applied across the county.
I have to say that the American holiday celebrations are exactly like they are in other cities where I have lived except that the Winter ones can happen outdoors! Thanksgiving dinner on outdoor tables poolside is a really good thing!
I will say that both St. Patrick's Day and Cinco de Mayo are both pretty lame in Miami. But, then again, Miami's Irish and Mexican communities are pretty tiny compared to most larger metro areas.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:23 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,898,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I will say that both St. Patrick's Day and Cinco de Mayo are both pretty lame in Miami. But, then again, Miami's Irish and Mexican communities are pretty tiny compared to most larger metro areas.
Sure, they're lame culturally speaking, but they're not lame if you're only interested in them for the party. After all, in Miami especially, both of these holidays center around drinking! I have seen a lot of people in office atmospheres get very excited to go out all together to get trashed after work - often a mix of Ashkenazi Jews, Cubans, and South Americans, lol, so nobody actually celebrating either holiday for cultural reasons, but all very excited to hang out together and party at the bar!

I would say that's not very different from the means of celebrating these holidays I've seen in many other major cities around the country, aside of course from those cities with strong ties to either culture. People will use any excuse to hang out and drink. That's not my thing, but I know a hell of a lot of people who love it. And even in Miami, a lot of people really look forward to both St. Patrick's Day and Cinco De Mayo for the Guinness, margaritas, and even some corned beef hash or mole, and a little Celtic music or some mariachi - if not for the parades.

If there is alcohol, food, music, and a crowd involved, it's popular in Miami! Never mind that at least half the participants wouldn't even be able to tell you the history of what they're celebrating...

Old 06-03-2014, 10:14 AM

604 posts, read 618,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Do Mexicans really care about cinco de Mayo?. It is not a national holiday over there.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:13 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
^^^Very true, from what I'm told its not a big deal there.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I though Miami's St. Pat day celebration was elaborate, not elaborate as some places, but much more so than many other places in the US, and more so than any place I have lived.

Same with 4th of July, Miami's is much better than even DC's.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:29 PM

249 posts, read 419,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^Very true, from what I'm told its not a big deal there.
It's only important in one Mexican state, IIRC. I went to Mexico around that time this year and to the disappointment of some American tourists in front of us, they were told at the airport that Cinco De Mayo is not important at all over there.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:37 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,621 times
I'll go over ethnicities since all US cities are packed with diferent ethnicities that are not from the US, most came in a boat.
Miami is a very American city.
I'm referring to the layout, the system, city council, administration, suburbanization, etc.
A entirely new city..a century old, you need a car, the downtown also became a mess...
A very American city, and as all American cities, inhabited by people that came in a boat.
For example, there are American cities that are more similar to Old World cities, NY, Boston, etc.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:17 PM

471 posts, read 621,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
We frequently hear about how Cuban Miami is. I guess it's not surprising considering that majority of people residing in Miami were born in Cuba as opposed to being born in the US like other hispanic cities in the US. So I guess it brings me to the question of how American is Miami?

Is it difficult to live in Miami knowing english only? Do people celebrate Thanksgiving? Do children say the pledge of allegiance in schools? Is football (not soccer) the most popular sport? Do people sing the star spangled banner before games? Do people celebrate the 4th of July? Do people generally consider themselves American or just Cubans living in America?
MOst people are bilingual, you will not find it difficult here.

Miamians do celebrate thanksgiving.

Children say the pledge of allegiange in public schools, not in charter schools.

Baseball, basketball, and football (world football) are the most popular sports.

People sing the spangled banner before games.

The 4th of July is a huge celebration in Miami.

All Miamian consider themselves Americans, even those with no papers, America is a huge continents and most immigrants come from American countries.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:24 PM

79 posts, read 151,962 times
I live in Miami and am American - my family has been in the U.S for almost 400 years. I have encountered people here who look at me as if I was below them because I do not speak Spanish fluently and I don't have an attachment to another country in Latin America. Personally, I find these people to not be worth my time and energy.

Miami is as American as you want it to be. I have met some really amazing people who have shared their stories and culture with me. I find that they are as interested in me as I am in them. Take a moment and learn about someone and one will quickly learn that America is all about differences coming into a large melting pot.

As other posters have stated, there are all types of people in Miami. Many have been born in other places. What I find most interesting is those who live in Miami and have not seen anywhere else in the U.S. I am proud of my ancestry and what they did to build this nation. I am even prouder that people see the U.S. as a beacon of light in the darkness. They come here for a reason - to find a better life. In Miami, I see those seeking a better life. Once I took the time to see it, I found wonderful people who are truly American and have stories not unlike those of any other group who came here. We celebrate July 4th, Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's Day. Right now, we are celebrating the World Cup. Come join the party and learn what America is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami