Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:25 AM

74 posts, read 620,212 times

Advertisements

I love Santa Monica, CA! It has shops, eating, and the beach all together. It also has a great nightlife scene.

For all those that have been to Santa Monica, CA would you say it is the same as Miami. I would LOVE to live in Santa Monica BUT a studio now is going for almost $2000 a month.

Is Miami a cheaper Santa Monica???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 07:31 AM

57 posts, read 59,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxMover View Post
I love Santa Monica, CA! It has shops, eating, and the beach all together. It also has a great nightlife scene.

For all those that have been to Santa Monica, CA would you say it is the same as Miami. I would LOVE to live in Santa Monica BUT a studio now is going for almost $2000 a month.

I doubt that its the same ...its just 2 different mentalities..but i think $2000 should get you a good 1/2 bedroom apartment out there

Old 12-11-2007, 08:50 AM

711 posts, read 1,861,243 times
Ah, the People's Republic of Santa Monica. Pretty to look at but best to avoid. May Miami never copy it.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:00 AM

9,458 posts, read 14,418,469 times
Quote:

No, not the same. Miami definitely cheaper. You can rent a basic studio for around $800, something nice for $1000-$1500, and, as mentioned, a really nice 1/2 bedroom apartment for $2000.

The biggest question you will face in Miami is whether you will be able to find/create employment that earns enough income to meet your expectations.

If you are young, single, and you can achieve the above, then you should do alright in Miami, at least for a while, without worrying about so many comparisons.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:48 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,075,904 times
Quote:

Where are you looking?? I've seen apts on craigslist in Santa Monica and the surrounding areas (Westwood, West L.A.) for 1400 a mo. or less. Yes, you can find something here for a lot less, but its definitely not Santa Monica.

And this:

Quote:
The biggest question you will face in Miami is whether you will be able to find/create employment that earns enough income to meet your expectations.
is completely true. Salaries are a lot lower here, compared to the high cost of living. Unlike L.A., where cost of living is higher, but salaries are higher as well.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:01 PM

440 posts, read 1,498,250 times
Quote:

Miami is not like Santa Monica , but Miami Beach and even Ft.Lauderdale are similar to Santa Monica .

Old 12-11-2007, 04:07 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,521,033 times
Miami is slightly cheaper, but not by much. My sister rents a 1/1.5 +den for 1400 a month in west kendall. So no where close to the beach. You need to compare Miami Beach with Santa Monica that is fairer.

Friends of mine live in a house in Santa Monica and would never move back to Miami, because of the issues Miami has. Santa Monica in their opinion is a much better place to live. God, I wish I could live in California.

Quote:

Old 12-11-2007, 06:49 PM

440 posts, read 1,498,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Miami is slightly cheaper, but not by much. My sister rents a 1/1.5 +den for 1400 a month in west kendall. So no where close to the beach. You need to compare Miami Beach with Santa Monica that is fairer.

Friends of mine live in a house in Santa Monica and would never move back to Miami, because of the issues Miami has. Santa Monica in their opinion is a much better place to live. God, I wish I could live in California.
Doggiebus , I have been out there again since I last wrote about Santa Monica and as a beach town Miami Beach compares favorably to Santa Monica . We corresponded a couple of months ago and since then I have been back for three days in early November . Santa Monica is no paradise trust me on that one man ... I saw derelicts , Mexican gang members , trash and graffiti all over the place ... most of Miami Beach is much cleaner and there is no comparison when comparing beaches . The Santa Monica pier is pretty from afar but when you walk on it and see the garbage , graffiti and freaks you will change your mind . There are some great Italian restaurants in Santa Monica and the weather is unbeatable as it was at most 70 degrees during the day other than that give me a condo in South Beach or Bal Harbor over Santa Monica any day . I like California as it has some beautiful areas , but it is not the paradise that you seem to think it is , especially Southern California ... everyone I met is trying to get out because of crime , high cost of living and the influx of illegal aliens ... sounds familiar huh ?

San Diego seems like the exception to the rule as even Angelenos are moving there . Bottom line is that So Cal has very similar issues to South Florida ... IMO .

Old 12-12-2007, 12:09 PM

109 posts, read 486,686 times
I'm inclined to agree with Musclehead on this. I grew up in L.A. I haven't been back in awhile, but the similarities are what draw me to Miami. The best thing to me about Miami/S.Beach is the food, so many different styles to try and there is always something new to try. Good stuff. Rentals are suprisingly affordable near the beach in MIA but you don't get alot of space for the money (but who cares when the beach is your frontyard?).

Old 12-12-2007, 04:10 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,521,033 times
Well this is my opinion, I see California as a better place to live. And I think many people think the same as the housing prices show it. But I can say the same for Florida, but I think that is slowly changing. Like I said friends love Santa Monica and would never move back to Miami. Thats their opinion. They think its a better place to live and so do I. You know, no place is perfect. There are bad things in each place, I guess it all depends on what you are willing to put up with, to get in return. For me I will take some of the issues we have here if I get better weather. The weather in Florida is my biggest gripe, and that we can't control as it is getting hotter for longer. God today was hot, December isn't suppose to in the 80's something is just wrong with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post
Doggiebus , I have been out there again since I last wrote about Santa Monica and as a beach town Miami Beach compares favorably to Santa Monica . We corresponded a couple of months ago and since then I have been back for three days in early November . Santa Monica is no paradise trust me on that one man ... I saw derelicts , Mexican gang members , trash and graffiti all over the place ... most of Miami Beach is much cleaner and there is no comparison when comparing beaches . The Santa Monica pier is pretty from afar but when you walk on it and see the garbage , graffiti and freaks you will change your mind . There are some great Italian restaurants in Santa Monica and the weather is unbeatable as it was at most 70 degrees during the day other than that give me a condo in South Beach or Bal Harbor over Santa Monica any day . I like California as it has some beautiful areas , but it is not the paradise that you seem to think it is , especially Southern California ... everyone I met is trying to get out because of crime , high cost of living and the influx of illegal aliens ... sounds familiar huh ?

San Diego seems like the exception to the rule as even Angelenos are moving there . Bottom line is that So Cal has very similar issues to South Florida ... IMO .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami